The horsemeat scandal

Barry Sanchez

I see that our our wonderful Government are trying to get us exemption from EU rules that compel producers of fresh meat products to clearly label exactly what's in their product.

They're also trying to amend the rules so that there can be more fat and collagen in mince meat than is allowed in the rest of the EU.

One of their first acts in 2010 was to cut the staffing and funding of the Food Standards Agency.

I see that our our wonderful Government are trying to get us exemption from EU rules that compel producers of fresh meat products to clearly label exactly what's in their product.

They're also trying to amend the rules so that there can be more fat and collagen in mince meat than is allowed in the rest of the EU.

One of their first acts in 2010 was to cut the staffing and funding of the Food Standards Agency.

That in a nutshell is the main reason why the likes of most Tories and UKIP dont like the EU. Generally most EU regulations are to protect us whereas the anti-Euro lot want a dereguated Capatalist free for all.

The horsemeat affair is just the tip of the iceberg of companies mislabelling cheap / unattractive food as something more expensive and desirable. Dont ever order 'white tuna' in the US - its invariably actually Escolar - the ex lax fish. It will have you pooing yellow oil and is banned from sale in some countries.

I suspect that this will have the same affect on the romanian beef industry as what happened to the Austrian wine industry when they found anti freeze in it.

My parents generation still won't touch the stuff 30 years on

TBH I didn't know that Roumania had a beef industry. Since the creation of the EEC there has been meat fraud, same old sides of pig and cow going round and round the community in trucks sucking up subventions. Heard tell of a truck in Poole once that had meat with 4 different country of origin stamps on the same piece of meat.

I suspect that this will have the same affect on the romanian beef industry as what happened to the Austrian wine industry when they found anti freeze in it.

My parents generation still won't touch the stuff 30 years on

Anti freeze in wine has been going on for years in the french wine industry.

Anti freeze in wine has been going on for years in the french wine industry.

ethylene glycol is present in trace quantities in all alcoholic drinks. It's a product of the fermentation process. Even the quantities the Austrians added to turn dry wine into more liquorous stuff weren't toxic unless you were downing 2 bottles a day for a month or so.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Just announced that Spanghero the French company who supplied indirectly Findus and others have had their license taken away and closed down after French government investigators find they knew all along. Company run by two former French Rugby players. Spoke to the local head of the Charity Restos du Coeur who says they've known for years food supplied to the needy was tainted with chemicals and suspicious meats from overseas. This is the tip of the iceberg. Even in Switzerland where only meat produced there is allowed has been found contaminated with horse and pork in beef preparations.

especially when they are advertising it as beef!

I remember reading a while back (I will try and get the piece) of this happening years ago but slightly different, beef was bought in Romania cheaply and in short they were rotting and of low poor quality but were stamped as Italian beef and sold for a fortune.

If we dont know what goes into our mouths how can we trust any form of Government?

I remember reading a while back (I will try and get the piece) of this happening years ago but slightly different, beef was bought in Romania cheaply and in short they were rotting and of low poor quality but were stamped as Italian beef and sold for a fortune.

If we dont know what goes into our mouths how can we trust any form of Government?

I still wouldn't trust them even if we did know!

Eating horse meat raised for human consumption is above average quality and healthy. But eating horse meat from horses used industrially, for transport etc.. is potentially harmful for human consumption for any number of reasons. Untreated injuries. treatment by cheap and not necessarily healthy chemicals. drugs and so on.

Just that in the news food products are being withdrawn due to containing horse meat

Getting the impression that it is very dangerous

All a bit OTT if you ask me

Think you're missing the point DD. Would it be okay if one of your torpedos contained party foam and streamers when you went to use it? Its not whether its okay to eat horse or not, it is, Ive eaten eaten it. The issues are:

1. Are you getting what you were sold and what you paid for

2. The horsemeat was supplied with false documentation so that compromises the integrity of whole labelling and traceability system

3. If the supplier is lying about one ingredient what else might be in the product

4. If the supplier is disreputable enough to act criminally what other criminal activities are involved.

5.Some people have religious / medical / ethical reasons for not eating certain products

When I buy a pork pie. Or a value meal. I am pretty sure that is did not contain the best meat... More like lips, hoofs and eyes... Of many animals

I get your point but I personally did not expect my value ready meal at 79p to be anything but a mish mash of various meats

But I do get your point about fraud. It seems that the news are giving the impression that it is dangerous to eat horse meat

When I buy a pork pie. Or a value meal. I am pretty sure that is did not contain the best meat... More like lips, hoofs and eyes... Of many animals

I get your point but I personally did not expect my value ready meal at 79p to be anything but a mish mash of various meats

But I do get your point about fraud. It seems that the news are giving the impression that it is dangerous to eat horse meat

About 4 years back I found a 6 inch length of pig intestine in a tin of Country paté here in France/ Put me completely off. I'm amazed to find many turkey feathers amongst the LIDL Turkey roast.

You are lucky, what about people who simply dont have that choice?

It seems that the news are giving the impression that it is dangerous to eat horse meat

Exactly, horse is eaten in a number of countries and there's nothing wrong with it. It is whether it is fit for human consumption. In fact, if you go to Holland and buy rookvlees (smoked meat and nothing to do with rooks!) it will either be beef or horse - and the horse is the better quality and tastier choice.

But the Findus lasagne packed claimed to have 100% beef, britians best lasagne http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=findus+lasagne&oq=findus+l&gs_l=img.1.1.0l2j0i24l7.5612.12037.0.14720.13.10.0.0.0.0.509.1190.3-2j0j1.3.0...0.0...1ac.1.3.img._nWr4NQg6FA#biv=i|34;d|zwlFl_ZlSOg1EM:

Another was luxury beef something or other. Not value lines.

No one has investigated pub meals yet and only one county of school meals.

When my mum died of CJD ( school worker ) i was put in contact with another lady from Salisbury , a dinner lady from Salisbury who had complained to the authorities about the quality of the meats. She died of CJD too... Guess what... A meat delivery driver to schools and prisons on the south coast.... Died of CJD.

Personally I buy small quantities of chicken and chops and lean steak mince. I don't buy ready meals. I don't eat at 2 for £10 pubs

I no longer eat pies pasties, petrol station sandwiches etc

Update....

Catering giant Compass Group and Whitbread, one of Britain's largest hotel chains, have found horse DNA in products sold as beef, it has emerged......

Whitbread PLC is a multinational hotel, coffee shop and restaurant company headquartered in Dunstable, United Kingdom. Its largest division is Premier Inn, which is the largest hotel brand in the UK with around 630 hotels and over 40,000 rooms.[2] Its Costa Coffee chain has around 1,600 stores across 25 countries and is the world's second-largest international coffee shop chain.[2] Its other brands include the restaurant chains Beefeater Grill, Brewers Fayre, Table Table and Taybarns.[2]

Compass Group plc (LSE: CPG) is a British multinational contract foodservice and support services company headquartered in Chertsey, Surrey, United Kingdom.[3] It is the largest contract foodservice company in the world and has operations in over 50 countries.[2][4] It serves around 4 billion meals a year in locations including offices and factories, schools, universities, hospitals, major sports and cultural venues, mining camps and offshore oil platforms.[2]

Edited by tony13579