Valentines's day

Saint-scooby

What's the point then.

People say Valentines Day is a waste of time, but it really is the general election day of romantic relationships.

No-one knows what's going to happen. She's remembered, but has he? And what about the potential disparities in cost? What does it say about your relationship if you one person buys the other a much more expensive gift.

Both the missus and I have employed the kids as runners and spies in the last week, just so the balance of power is not upset.

That, dear boy, is what Valentines Day is all about :)

People say Valentines Day is a waste of time, but it really is the general election day of romantic relationships.

No-one knows what's going to happen. She's remembered, but has he? And what about the potential disparities in cost? What does it say about your relationship if you one person buys the other a much more expensive gift.

Both the missus and I have employed the kids as runners and spies in the last week, just so the balance of power is not upset.

That, dear boy, is what Valentines Day is all about :)

You talk a disproportionate amount of complete ********

Ha! I'll take this to be the bitter comment of a loser in love!

Well, seeing as this is in the lounge...

I dont like the fact Im pressured to bend to the corperate necessity to express my love on a certain day, being recently married then Im still in the honeymoon stage.

Me and the missus dont make a big deak, perhaps a coocked meal etc But Im not paying over the odds for it, we go for regular meals etc anyways.

If you do conform to an overpriced teddy bear or double the price for a reduced menu then fair play to you.

If you do conform to an overpriced teddy bear or double the price for a reduced menu then fair play to you.

I was agreeing with you anyway, until it came to this line which I feel first hand every year... because it's also my wife's birthday! So we're going out for a meal on Saturday night because trying to enjoy a meal out tonight is pointless. Thankfully we also don't feel the need to do anything particular on Valentines Day, but if others do, so be it, each to their own.

I dont like the fact Im pressured to bend to the corperate necessity to express my love on a certain day, being recently married then Im still in the honeymoon stage.

Me and the missus dont make a big deak, perhaps a coocked meal etc But Im not paying over the odds for it, we go for regular meals etc anyways.

We got each other the same thing. Card and a box of chocs. I'm normally sh!te at remembering this, but have remembered this year.

You can say the same thing about any holiday. Pressured to spend money at Christmas, pressured to dress up on Hallowe'en. Pressured to sort out a family holiday in the summer.

If you're all for taking on the corporations, fair play to you. But your argument reads like any "hallmark holiday" diatribe you'd hear a tight uncle say.

If you're all for taking on the corporations, fair play to you. But your argument reads like any "hallmark holiday" diatribe you'd hear a tight uncle say.

I dunno about S_S but I don't view it as 'taking on the corporations'... we just do what we want, when we want, and not when others suggest we should. Ultimately, a couple should know what each appreciates from the other, and what is important in the relationship and what isn't... so if Valentines Day is important to you, great, but it's not to us.

We got each other the same thing. Card and a box of chocs. I'm normally sh!te at remembering this, but have remembered this year.

You can say the same thing about any holiday. Pressured to spend money at Christmas, pressured to dress up on Hallowe'en. Pressured to sort out a family holiday in the summer.

Touche

I dunno about S_S but I don't view it as 'taking on the corporations'... we just do what we want, when we want, and not when others suggest we should. Ultimately, a couple should know what each appreciates from the other, and what is important in the relationship and what isn't... so if Valentines Day is important to you, great, but it's not to us.

This basically, Im not really taking on the corperates as such, summer holidays, christmas etc are legitimate for me, mothers day, fathers day, valentines are just cop outs IMO. Luckily the wife agrees regards V day.

But yeah, FWIW I might take the wife for a meal if it were the same price and standard menu, I just disagree paying double for a set menu.

My wife & I have never done anything on Valentines Day as it's ******s.

I've bought her flowers every week(ish) for 20 odd years. I tell her I love her as soon as I wake up an before I fool asleep every night as well as at other times during every day. We go away a couple of times a year without the kids so we can just be a couple without being mum & dad. We don't need a prescribed day to reaffirm our commitment to one another nor do we need some sappy card.

It really isn't that important to me. No holiday is. I'm not a Christian so Christmas is annual "giving it large on the gifts front". Easter is similarly spiritually empty to me, but I buy a couple of chocolate eggs for people. The funny thing is, Valentines Day gets shorter shrift than these grand occasions, and that's a shame.

I admire the simplicity and universality and simplicity of Valentines Day. You don't have to believe in a sky lord, or even pretend you do. It hasn't become something else, in the way that Christmas is just a gigantic climax to the cyclical consumerist gang-bang or Easter is about fecking bunnies. It's just about appreciating your significant other.

I'd argue that your defiant stance on Valentines Day, one you probably share with a load of people, is a reaction to the fact that in real life, you don't get to do what you want. Most of us are at someone else's beck and call for the vast majority of our waking hours. With so much hierarchy and direction, I can appreciate why someone might not want to be told when to love their significant other in their own time.

"Take that card makers! You're not the boss of me!"

(although everyone else is)

Commercial load of utter sh!Te

Turn on your TV or Radio. Look at the billboards or advertising hoardings that are plastered everywhere, the likes of Jessie "hey kids, debt is cool" J advertising Mastercard to teenagers.

This is permanent, it's ongoing and relentless. You're moaning about one day a year. Perspective.

That's not what your missus says.

the likes of Jessie "hey kids, debt is cool"

And so it is whilst they've got parents who feel obliged to sponge it up. That reminds me got to pay to get the youngest's car fixed(again) and for that nose job she got a "student loan" for 2 years ago. No hols for us again this year...drat. :scared::scared:

I've bought her flowers every week(ish) for 20 odd years. I tell her I love her as soon as I wake up an before I fool asleep every night as well as at other times during every day. We go away a couple of times a year without the kids so we can just be a couple without being mum & dad. We don't need a prescribed day to reaffirm our commitment to one another nor do we need some sappy card.

Freudian slip

This post is sappy enough. Card definitely not needed.

Is a big deak Spanish?

It's not the same at all. At Christmas you have time off, you can buy whatever you want, it's the end of the year, there's stuff going on and a good atmosphere. Valentine's day means tacky romantic gestures and tacky gifts. Buy a gift or card by all means, but do it when you want to, or when you think it's most needed, not because you're supposed to. Being told to be romantic just destroys the entire point of it.

Not many women think that way though sadly!

It's not the same at all. At Christmas you have time off, you can buy whatever you want, it's the end of the year, there's stuff going on and a good atmosphere. Valentine's day means tacky romantic gestures and tacky gifts. Buy a gift or card by all means, but do it when you want to, or when you think it's most needed, not because you're supposed to. Being told to be romantic just destroys the entire point of it.

Sorry Adrian; is this supposed to be an argument?

I didn't have anyone strong-arming me to buy something specific. I believe its possible to STILL buy anything you want for your partner on Valentines Day, that some people do work during the festive period and that some are bloody miserable because they are unable to afford it.

If you're trying to assert that Christmas Day does not equal Valentines Day, congrats sir, you've succeeded - but you're hardly at odds with me on that point.

Who is going around TELLING people when to love someone else? Seriously people, all the evils of capitalism and consumerism, and THIS is your sticking point? FFS, in terms of pure spending, Christmas makes Valentines Day look like a quick trip to the shop for a pint of milk.

Get mad about the right things.