Dont drink and dive

Thedelldays

TBF Im not sure you should be under the influenced if you are inside the confines of a nuclear powered tub that patrols underwater that happens to carry nuclear weapons

Call me sensationalist n all

I have never ever met anyone who has been whilst at sea...ever...that is a FACT

I have served on 6 different boats

I can safely say that in nearly 2000 days actually at sea on a sub, I have never ever had a drop of alcohol.

hardly anyone does...if ever..if they do, I have never met anyone who has been under the influence as said

Edited by Thedelldays

I can safely say that in nearly 2000 days at sea on a sub, I have never ever had a drop of alcohol.

hardly anyone does...if ever..if they do, I have never met anyone who has been under the influence as said

Fair enough, so are you saying they have their facts wrong ?

All Im saying is if it were true its probably worrying, but they must have got their facts from somewhere

Fair enough, so are you saying they have their facts wrong ?

All Im saying is if it were true its probably worrying, but they must have got their facts from somewhere

im saying they are presented a bit loosely..

for example...alongside in base port..there could be someones stag do on a weds night and you could be 5 mins late for work and possibly get into trouble and this would be recorded as an "alcohol related offence" if the Medics deem so...

as such, being 5 mins late, you could be fined a days pay, or lose your leave for 24 hours or get extra duties...

im not saying the lads are angels when alongside or in a foreign port..but we/they are not going around at sea/with their fingers on the triggers largered up....far from it..

I don't have a problem with them getting drunk ashore. But when they return to the sub. Parked within 500m of residential and city office blocks where I once worked, in a nuclear sub... Oh and then issue the drunk a machine gun. When they also had visitors on board.

Who was managing the risks?

I can safely say that in nearly 2000 days actually at sea on a sub, I have never ever had a drop of alcohol.

Good for you, you don't drink whilst at sea.

You then go on to say hardly anyone does, implication being that SOME people do...which is what the article says.

I don't k ow anyone ever who has had more than a glass of wine or a can of beer.

If at all...

I would go as far to say that not a single one of those offences have been committed at sea...

Just because you don't know them doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Someone hasn't just decided to make these figures up.

Just because you don't know them doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Someone hasn't just decided to make these figures up.

Mate. It doesn't.

They have not made these figures up. Just that no one gets beered up at sea...alongside is a different story

Most junior rates messes are not even allowed alcohol at sea.

The watch system is very unforgiving at sea

Take my wealth of experience and trust me

Statistics are like bikinis they show a lot but not everything . Bad reporting by the nasty bbc . I looked at the stats the biggest percentage were AWOL . One person was courtmartialled for 3 offences and got 28 days in the glasshouse . So how many sailors had multi charges against them . 311charges probably down to a very few amount of people . You can get charged if you have more than your allotted 2 cans of beer . So the stats are a load of ********

Another non story from statistics. So out of young male population of circa 1500 there are about 100 alcohol related offences per year, how would that compare with a similar number of young civvies? In addition as hinted at above, many of the offences would not even have been considered offences if "committed' by a civy i.e. late for work.

Agree with you Delldays. In all the patrols I did (one hell of a lot in 32 years), we never drank alcohol at sea but by god we made up for it when arrived back. The pubs made a fortune.