Being an expat in India?

ozzmeister

So I may have to move to India for 6 months with work. All a bit daunting, does anyone have any advise on become an expat, dealing with boredom, missing home comforts etc?

Do most countries tend to have an expat community and do they just meet up somewhere, and u pop along and talk to people?

Bit of a random thread I know but any general advise would be much appreciated!

Lol, I will be going to Bangalore to lead a test phase for tesco, I have been once before but only for three weeks. Quite looking forward to it but will be a big lifestyle change! Think I'm most worried about cabin fever and missing western lifestyle (not meaning to sound at all racist)

Lol, I will be going to Bangalore to lead a test phase for tesco, I have been once before but only for three weeks. Quite looking forward to it but will be a big lifestyle change! Think I'm most worried about cabin fever and missing western lifestyle (not meaning to sound at all racist)

Racist!!!!

In the big cities it is pretty westernised. Most speak perfectly good English and all the sports are on telly.

Well, was the case in Mumbai, panjim and goa...

You will see some utter filth though

Yeah I remember last time it was pretty filthy! I worked a charity day one of the weekends in a slum school in the backstreets of Bangalore, that was certainly an eye opener! What I found annoying was things like I player/4od didn't work, but that was about 2years ago

Yeah I remember last time it was pretty filthy! I worked a charity day one of the weekends in a slum school in the backstreets of Bangalore, that was certainly an eye opener! What I found annoying was things like I player/4od didn't work, but that was about 2years ago

There are ways to get your computer to think you are in the UK

Someone here (maybe in the tech page) will tell you how

Mate of mine has spent last 2 years on a contract in Delhi.

He works 3 months on one month off 12 hour days.

He is a Yank. He is now a world expert on the nuances and laws of Cricket.

He normally lasts about 5 days after an R&R break before he starts to hallucinate.

By the time he leaves for R&R he is a raving madman.

Until he has had a 24 Ounce Porterhouse Steak.

When he leaves next month he has made it his sworn duty in life to brutally murder ANYONE who ever offers him Chicken for dinner

HTH