Ppi

Dr Who?

Not quite the same but.

When Daughter went to Uni the easiest (and cheapest) way to give her a monthly allowance was for me to get a UK Credit Card and give her a supplementary card with a limit of her allowance. I then set up to pay in full each month :yawn:

Now the card was used for 3 years and I was charged a total of 27 quid for Card Protection Insurance. When she left I simply cancelled the card.

Two weeks ago I received 187 quid because I was an expat and had been sold an insurance that was invalid for my status. 160 quid in Interest and "Compensation" for something I knew nothing about.

I love British Banks. That 187 quid is the cost of my airmiles ticket to Heathrow, the cost of my ticket away to Norwich and my share of the petrol. The day with my Mum then comes free = Priceless

Hope the lads give me as good a result on the day

Why were people daft enough to be duped into taking out PPI in the first place...? ;)

I was DAFT enough to take PPI on my mortgage (sometimes the bank made you take it)Being a type 1 diabetic I was not covered by PPI got more in interest than loan total repayment nearly £10000 interest at 8%. It did take over 9 months but worth the wait

My SiL claimed (from Lloyds). It took months and months but eventually he got a substantial sum plus interest because of the delay.

Yes it took a while, but was worth the wait. The interest was good. I think I had to take PPI with my loan. Mis-sold.

I was DAFT enough to take PPI on my mortgage (sometimes the bank made you take it)Being a type 1 diabetic I was not covered by PPI got more in interest than loan total repayment nearly £10000 interest at 8%. It did take over 9 months but worth the wait

a mate of mine got nearly £25k back on his mortgage PPI

I work in a major bank's PPI complaint department. Well worth complaining, especially for Personal Loans. Don't use claims management companies, you can do it yourself quite easily.

Good source of info here and links to PPI complaint questionnaire: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

The bank wrote to me, I would not have bothered. Really odd. Was a questionnaire about how it was sold to me.

The rest is history.

The bank wrote to me, I would not have bothered. Really odd. Was a questionnaire about how it was sold to me.

The rest is history.

Yeah they have started doing that, at least the bank I work for have. Personal Loans you are pretty much guaranteed to get a pay out on, especially if you have multiple accounts which are successive. Regular premium policies such as Credit Card and Mortgage PPI the banks tend defend more and are more successful at doing so.

Why were people daft enough to be duped into taking out PPI in the first place...? ;)

Good question Lord T but here's another..I know you know the world of banking!

I looked at what was on offer at the time on a 12k loan for a car back in 2003 and the PPI that I was sold appeared (after a few calls and questions) to be reasonable value as compared with others around. Now this was with Northern Rock who also offered the best value (for me not their shareholders!) interest rate and the consequences of their business model are well documented.

When I looked back (on being approached by their claims department) I really do think the cover I had was fit for purpose...is this possible? Should I just claim for the sake of it, I wonder, or did some of the packages do what they said on the box?

Appreciate advice/experience?

i got 12k, do not go through a claims firm do it yourself as its very easy. Use the word doc on money saving expert .com

I used this form for one of my old credit cards and got £1500 back, my mum has got back nearly 20k! The forms are very simple to fill in and there is plenty of free and good advice on the money saving expert website, if you sign up with a claims company you can pay up to 50% of anything you get back. Also my claim was with MBNA and they took less than a month to complete the claim.

And for those wondering why I was daft enough to take the PPI out I was told by the bloke in the bank (Abbey as it was then and the credit card was taken over by MBNA) I had to or I wouldn't get the credit card.