Nutty Aeroplane Stuff

Lighthouse

Take off from a mud covered runway. Probably did enough damage to write the aircraft off

I doubt it, Antonovs aren't built they're cast in solid iron. That's a fairly dubious attempt at aviation though, wouldn't fancy being on that flight.

The physics of this are just mental. Amazing what you can do with an empty plane, a strong headwind and a very high angle of attack.

Jumbo landing

Although quite interesting, a number of people within the aviation community feel that this sequence may be faked.Some of the reasons given are that there are no visible navigation nor landing lights on the Jumbo, the crosswind component appears to change significantly between the two final segments shown in this video, and braking appears to be too sudden

:lol:

This one is really disturbing, you have been warned. It was a Sukhoi 27 at the Lviv Airshow in Ukraine about 10 years ago. 80 odd people were killed and in the aftermath on this video you can see human body parts spread all over the airfield. Not pleasant but at the same time just gripping, like watching 9/11.

[video=youtube;JpC-SSmUw_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpC-SSmUw_Q

Pop quiz my fellow aviation enthusiasts, and how about this for 'nutty'.

blackburn-botha-02.png

With aircraft in short supply and the nation fighting for its very survival in the dark days of WWII, the RAF still managed to order no less than 580 of these bloody useless things. A design so terrible hardly any of them saw active front line service. But what is it?

Pop quiz my fellow aviation enthusiasts, and how about this for 'nutty'.

blackburn-botha-02.png

With aircraft in short supply and the nation fighting for its very survival in the dark days of WWII, the RAF still managed to order no less than 580 of these bloody useless things. A design so terrible hardly any of them saw active front line service. But what is it?

Blackburn Botha.

Well done that man!

I've obviously made this too easy - Now for something more obscure.

he-100d-1.jpg

Heinkel HE100.

Here's another RAF flying coffin :

fairey-battle-bomber-02.png

And possibly the strangest looking plane of the war :

Gbv141.jpg

( Hint re your quiz type questions - although I am pretty good with WW2 kit, 'view image info' is a give away ;) )

The toughest approach used by regular large jets I can think of is Toncontin, Tegucigalpa.

A truly hair raising approach and a short runway at the end of it. The touch down aiming point is the 2 big white squares. This guy technically touches down before the designated threshold of the runway and slams on the brakes. With good reason too, several aircraft have gone flying off the end of the runway including an Airbus about 5 years ago which lead to the airport being shut down until a chunk of the hill could be dug away.