Foods that you used to hate and now love.

View From The Top

My palate has certainly changed as I've aged and I now wolf down olives where as a younger man I thought them up there along with coconut as devil's food.

Friends now seem to quaff red wine instead of ale but it's still something I can't get to grips with and still prefer a decent white.

Is it just me or is it an age thing?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by View From The Top

Yeah olives for me. Couldn't stand them when I was younger, along with lots of other things. Other ones include...

Cabbage

Sprouts

Parsnips

Mustard

Mushrooms

Spinach

Coffee

I was so picky with my food as a kid that my mum used to have a nightmare trying to get me to eat anything at times, but I've gone totally the other way now - I'll eat pretty much anything these days. I can only think of two foods I really can't stand and that's celery and parsley.

The biggest change for me is bell peppers. I used to hate them and now I'll have them whenever they're available. I'm also over my onion hatred - it's true, it does make food taste better, though I'm still not a fan of them raw.

Also cauliflower, broccolli, chillies, curry (my parents used to buy me fish and chips when they had a curry), different types of fish (besides battered cod), coffee (I swear I'm addicted to it now) and dark chocolate. Of the ones I remember...

Mushrooms (can't get enough of the damn things now), also hated cauliflower & brocolli as a kid, but will tolerate then now. I wasn't a very adventurous eater as a kid, although that was more to do with my father not liking any 'foreign' food, so my mum never cooked anything more than traditional english fare. I'll eat anything now.

Olives, hated them when younger but love em now. The biggest turnaround for me now is mussels, I use to call my wife a bottom feeder for eating them, but after trying them once when slightly ratted and having them in a white wine sauce with onions, bl**dy lovely.

Whelks is another matter.

Have gone off excessively sugary foods since I've grown up. Don't like stuff like icing if it's too sweet. I still like chocolate and stuff but these days I probably enjoy a decent, properly cooked, medium rare, seasoned, mature rib eye steak (with BBQ or pepper sauce) more than anything else. So much so that I'll fork out €20 a day for one when I go skiing.

Tricky this is because according to my parents I used to like pretty much every type of veg imaginable and then at midchildhood I just decided I didn't like them anymore but I can certainly list a few that I probably more avoided than flat out hated and now like:

Marmite (yeah you can both love and hate it)

Peanut butter

Houmous

Peas

Parsnips (I cant get enough of these now)

Salad leafs,

Spinach

Brocolli

Almonds

* since both of my siblings are allergic to Almonds, I generally avoided them, but I can tell you now, try some almond butter it is Manna from heaven!!

Edited by Hockey_saint
cheeky ad for Almond butter

Olives for me. Used to hate them with a passion. Was cured by a night's drinking in Paris when they were served in a bowl as a snack. The more i drank, the more I ate and that was it.

Also couldn't look at a tub of coleslaw as a kid without feeling sick. Love the stuff now (goes down a treat with a BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich).

Ordered this by accident at a gym bar once and it was honestly the most horrible drink I've ever drank... Have never been able to bring myself to try it again since...
Hate it too. Tried adding salt once - no good. Tried adding sugar once - no good.

I must add chestnuts and walnuts to this thread. Hated them then, love them now.

Parsnips

Still cannot cope with mustard despite how much I try

Parsnips for me too, forgot them. But only roasted, the wife made me this parsnip pasta recently and I didn't like it.

Oh, those gherkins in Maccy D's hamburgers. Used to be a picker, now I'm an eater.

I'm like that too. Absolutely love roasted parsnips on my sunday plate, but put them in a soup and the taste of it makes me gag!

The reverse is true for me - don't like roasted parsnips but love parsnip soup. I also don't like celery but really like celery soup. And I used to hate liver and bacon casserole that my mother made but I loved the gravy from the casserole.

Peas, especially mushy. The thought of them used to knock me sick when I was a nipper. Amazing now.

Peanut butter.

Anything spicy. The punishment for swearing in my grandad's house was a bit of chili powder on the end of your tongue. I had some foul-mouthed uncles so parroted a lot of what they said. Put me off curries for 20 years.

Olives again. Tomatoes, mushroooms love em all but hated as a kid. However, the idea of eating seafood or any fishy stuff still makes me hurl. I can just about manage fake seaweed with non fishy sushi, but would rather they used something less sea-y.

Olives. Especially ones stuffed with Anchovies or Blue Cheese. Top of the *like* list these days.

Vegetables - Sprouts, Cabbage, Parsnips, even now like Swede puree.

Whisky.

Moules Marinere.

Rare Roast beef.

Bloody Mary's (but with the full works - Tabasco as well as Worcester and a dash of salt & pepper

Stilton

( And of course Port)

And, Gawd knows why - Mushy Peas with my Fish & Chips

Things that have dropped off my radar - Crisps (perhaps it was cracking two teeth on Sea Salt & Crushed Black Pepper Kettle Chip)s but now simply can't stand the ubiquitous Lays or Walkers

Chocolate - used to eat tons of it, now only very rarely have a Paatchi or Ferro Rocher type as a special treat

And, strangely, Sushi. Now can't touch it.

Oh and those 99 pence bottles of French plonk we used to buy on School Trips or Booze Cruises....

Ordered this [tomato juice] by accident at a gym bar once and it was honestly the most horrible drink I've ever drank... Have never been able to bring myself to try it again since...

Try as I might i just can't think what you were trying to order to get that by accident. :?

Add me to the ever growing olives list. Green ones, black ones, stuffed ones, plain ones, marinated ones.

Early 20s I always picked white wine over red, one glass of red and my tongue & lips would feel like they'd doubled in size, 2 glasses and the headaches would start. Now it's red every time.

Used to drink lager because it was "trendy", now it's a last resort if no ales are available. With olives.

I've always eaten whatever I'm given, even as a child, but things I didn't like even in 20s but now have a liking for include (not at the same time) blue cheeses, sprouts, parsnips, mayonnaise, olives, muesli, kippers, poached eggs, tea and black coffee both with no sugar (used to be milk 2 sugars for both).

Oh, did I mention olives?

And for some strange reason, am I the only Englishman who hates tomato ketchup and dislikes chips more every time I have them?

Olives too for me, but love them now. A nice cold platter is olives with ciabatta bread drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a few slices of salami/bresaola/Parma ham, with some sliced beef tomatoes, parmesan shavings, some anchovies, all garnished with a little oregano.

Olives too for me, but love them now. A nice cold platter is olives with ciabatta bread drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a few slices of salami/bresaola/Parma ham, with some sliced beef tomatoes, parmesan shavings, some anchovies, all garnished with a little oregano.

homer.gif