Definition of a 'Troll'

110_Persaint

After seeing that I've received a lot of stick on the main board for merely giving my opinion on (what turned out to be) a sensitive issue, I got around to thinking: just what exactly is a "troll" that I'm accused of being? And do you think I have been one in my short time here?

I had always thought trolls were deliberately destructive forum members who veer off-topic in posts, revert to personal insults, inappropriate language, start offensive threads, do cross-posting, spam threads with one-liners, etc.

Surely merely voicing an opinion with which most disagree, no matter how radical or left-of-centre it may be, does not a troll make?

After seeing that I've received a lot of stick on the main board for merely giving my opinion on (what turned out to be) a sensitive issue, I got around to thinking: just what exactly is a "troll" that I'm accused of being? And do you think I have been one in my short time here?

I had always thought trolls were deliberately destructive forum members who veer off-topic in posts, revert to personal insults, inappropriate language, start offensive threads, do cross-posting, spam threads with one-liners, etc.

Surely merely voicing an opinion with which most disagree, no matter how radical or left-of-centre it may be, does not a troll make?

Stop trolling you c n u t

Generally you're callled a troll on TSW if you have an opinion which isn't toeing the party line on here, this is that we are destined to be in the champions league in a 50000 stadium within the next few years. If you disagree or present reasons why this might not happen you are a troll.

I've been called a troll on here. Have to admit, couldn't really launch a staunch defence of my complete posting record. I may euphemise and say "er no, it's just provocative" but I can see how some might think I'm sending my posts from under a bridge (footstep permitting).

Think the trick is to not be a troll 100% of the time, or even 10%.

Generally you're callled a troll on TSW if you have an opinion which isn't toeing the party line on here, this is that we are destined to be in the champions league in a 50000 stadium within the next few years. If you disagree or present reasons why this might not happen you are a troll.

Stop trolling.

I like how when you post on this thread Turkish, it comes up with "Definition of a 'Troll'" and your username underneath it. Rather apt methinks.

PS: I went through Harrogate today. Thought you might want to know

Bloody hell Super Dooper Mikey, why were you there?, are you stalking me? I've been up there for the weekend and just got back. :scared:

I'd add hypochondriac and sotonjoe to that list. Some appaling posts between them.

Have to agree that I like Alpine, negative yes but a true fan. Also others like Glasgow and Turkish may seem like trolls, but are genuinely nice blokes IMO.

Thanks, the feeling is mutal. xxx

When you accuse someone of wanting to suck someone else's cock because they disagree with you, you are probably a troll. A poor one at that.

There are how many people on this forum? And how many say that? Probably single digits.

As ever, extravagant hyperbole from my flamboyant forum bff.

Bloody hell Super Dooper Mikey, why were you there?, are you stalking me? I've been up there for the weekend and just got back. :scared:

I thought we could go for a drink or something? I really think we could be close friends. I waited outside several pubs in the Harrogate area looking for a slick character that could be you, but all I could see was bumpkins.

Or I was on my way to Newcastle. Whatever.

I would go along with this.