Spending minimum on credit/debits cards?

Barry Sanchez

****ing bellends who pay for £1.17 or any old ****e on their card ****ing make me want to explode, we have all been there and all been skint at some point, no shame in that at all, but at my local small asda this bellend knob has paid for his paper with his card now twice this week! What the **** is that all about, makes my blood boil when this quiffy rent boys buy two beers with a card as well making you wait whilst they sweat over whether it goes through, should there be say a £10 minimum? I can remember this fellow from years ago who came out and said he never carries any cash at all ever, and yes he was an absolute tit.

I say deffo minimum.

That contact-less payment or whatever it is called is the way forward baz. You can already by small stuff likes drinks etc in Japan just using your oyster card (suica over there). Saves you standing behind some wannabe scouser while he fumbles around trying to find the correct change to buy a copy of the Mirror and 10 silk cuts.

That contact-less payment or whatever it is called is the way forward baz. You can already by small stuff likes drinks etc in Japan just using your oyster card (suica over there). Saves you standing behind some wannabe scouser while he fumbles around trying to find the correct change to buy a copy of the Mirror and 10 silk cuts.

True dat but cash is king and not carrying around a bit of that makes you a vagabond in my opinon Tok's.

Yeah....card is much slower than waiting for some dozy housewife to count up the correct change (because she thinks its somehow more efficient to give the exact amount) having spend 4 minutes trying to find her bloody purse in her handbag in the first place

FFS

People that do this in pubs annoy me too, paying for their pints by card. Fair enough if you're having a meal and it's £40 or whatever, but seriously, going for a pint on a lunchtime at work or whatever and buying a couple of pints on a card FFS.

Yeah....card is much slower than waiting for some dozy housewife to count up the correct change (because she thinks its somehow more efficient to give the exact amount) having spend 4 minutes trying to find her bloody purse in her handbag in the first place

FFS

A conscientious shopper not a tramp with £7.12 in their account.........

Cash is for people with well cash, cards are for students and the wretched.

I go to the pub with my team from work occasionally. I put orders on the company card.

Does that make me wretched? I'm certainly not a student anymore.

Also, contactless payment is defo the way to go. Far quicker and easier than cash. Our local Weatherspoons has got these machines in now, and the Owner and Assistant Manager (mate from school) both say they love it - has made serving far easier, especially when it gets busy on weekends.

FFS

This totally.

Plus most supermarkets have self pay machines now anyway so use one of those to speed up transactions. The only problem I see is the one at the tobacco/lottery kiosk and just make sure you avoid queues on evenings before draws take place.

In terms of cash, I really don't want to carry dirty old coins in my pockets either. Cashless society is my way ahead.

I go to the pub with my team from work occasionally. I put orders on the company card.

Does that make me wretched? I'm certainly not a student anymore.

Also, contactless payment is defo the way to go. Far quicker and easier than cash. Our local Weatherspoons has got these machines in now, and the Owner and Assistant Manager (mate from school) both say they love it - has made serving far easier, especially when it gets busy on weekends.

Nothing will be quicker than cash just nip to the cashpoint at the start of the week to get your pin money and hey presto, work dos are a tad different from buying two pints of mild on the never never.

FFS

That dozy housewife could have been my mother who was disabled and virtually blind. She couldn't use cards because she couldn't see well enough to use the PIN machine so only ever used cash because she could, slowly, feel coins to determine the denomination.

And she would have hidden her purse because to carry it openly or at the top of her bag would have invited someone recognising her sight difficulty to snatch it.

Heaven forfend she might have held someone up for a few minutes!

That dozy housewife could have been my mother who was disabled and virtually blind. She couldn't use cards because she couldn't see well enough to use the PIN machine so only ever used cash because she could, slowly, feel coins to determine the denomination.

And she would have hidden her purse because to carry it openly or at the top of her bag would have invited someone recognising her sight difficulty to snatch it.

If your mother is disabled,blind and as you're a grandmother, likely to be in her 80s or 90's shouldn't you be a good daughter and do her shopping for her rather than leaving a poor, elderly woman to make her way to the shops in her condition?

Personally find minimum card spend limits really frustrating, but worse still are the shops who don't accept cards in the first place, they won't be getting my custom again if I can help it.

Such as? I can honestly say i cant remember the last time i went into a shop and they didn't accept cards.

There are exceptions to my sweeping statements... ;)

Yeah they do my head in too. Worst is the other end of the spectrum, the kids! Why do people get their kids to do things right in front of me? I mean, I understand it might be an ok idea to get a kid to put their own ticket through the ticket gate of the tube, or to be the one who pays the bus driver but not a two year old and not during rush hour. There should be a different lane for people not in a hurry or slower at doing things. Also, a different lane at busy bars for people just ordering pints and definitely another lane for people like Turkish ordering cocktails. Get stuck behind one of these people with a big order and you could be waiting 20 minutes.

Personally find minimum card spend limits really frustrating, but worse still are the shops who don't accept cards in the first place, they won't be getting my custom again if I can help it.

SO do I as a consumer, but as a small business owner, the problem is the cost to the business... for a small business with lowish turnover, the rates can be quite high, especially debit cards. Credit cards are a flat % which is fine, but when you get charged upwards of 25p per transaction (especially in first few years of trading) then it quickly wipes out the profit on goods of lower value.

If your mother is disabled,blind and as you're a grandmother, likely to be in her 80s or 90's shouldn't you be a good daughter and do her shopping for her rather than leaving a poor, elderly woman to make her way to the shops in her condition?

It was in the past tense - my mother is dead. I lived 100 miles away. Her disability was her blindness. My sister-in-law who lived nearby used to take her shopping but my mother valued her independence and liked to pay for her own shopping.

You're all weird.

Who on earth carries cash?? I NEVER do now. I pay on my phone in Starbucks, I use my contactless card in places like Pret, I order everything I need online using PayPal, I pay taxis by card, I use an Oyster card on the underground and on buses - I can't actually remember the last time I needed cash?

Okay, one exception, nights out. I normally take out a few notes and find they're gone by the next day, so no cash again.

You're all weird.

Who on earth carries cash?? I NEVER do now. I pay on my phone in Starbucks, I use my contactless card in places like Pret, I order everything I need online using PayPal, I pay taxis by card, I use an Oyster card on the underground and on buses - I can't actually remember the last time I needed cash?

Okay, one exception, nights out. I normally take out a few notes and find they're gone by the next day, so no cash again.

Corporate sell out mug.

You all living in the UK can still only spend pounds in your shops and pubs (although the Fawley Falcon would take $ at a push)

I can go to any business down here and say can I pay in X currency answer is not a problem Sir cash or card and would you like a receipt with that.

Sorry what was that again?

Ha ha thats my point, only taking the micky about skint have been there loads but my point is serious though, I have to nip ouf in a minute after walking the dog and I bet I see someone buying some 50p flute or harp holding up the queue, my mate works for barclays and he thinks contactless is a way forward BUT thats just a plastic £50 top up note, not reinventing the wheel.

Cash for most things under £20 for me, I have my pin money at the start of the week and know exactly where I stand.

How do you buy a pie at half time? Tip without the tax? So inshort people on here by this for £1.12 on their cards and hold the cash holders up? Contactless has to be topped up doesnt it and it has a limit, what if you lose or misplace it?

No it doesn't have to be - that's stuff like Starbucks on your phone, but it's not a problem as you can do it while queuing, remotely, on your phone, no cash needed!!

The limit on my card for contactless is £12 per transaction. No problem as of yet and if it's more than £12, then a card is fine.

We use our CC to collect airmiles so everything is whacked on them be it £2 for a sarnie in ASDA of £100 in Tesco's.

The pub that I use has contactless payment which is quicker than waiting for some student fu,ckwit to workout the change.

I usually have a couple of notes in my wallet but I'd be surprised if I spent more than £15 a month in cash.

I work in a shop, people get really annoyed by having to wait 2 minutes for their sh!t. Always pay by card unless I know I need cash (pubs at games, away day service stations, corner shops).

I always use self-service machines in supermarkets too, just to save being stuck behind some obese family of 14 who've bought every packet of crisps in the shop. That's what annoys me, people buying too much sh!t. How they pay for it matters not.

Ha! The other week I got one of those durex sex toy things along with a load of vitamins and stuff. Nothing too kinky like windows, just these little vibrating things for a laugh. Anyway, the basket was full of stuff and the b!tch behind the counter put everything else through first and then when it got to my cockring pretended she couldn't find the bar code for it and spun it round loads for everyone to see. Now I don;t give a sh!t, I know she was just trying to embarrass me but as most people that shop in there are mental old women, it was probably embarrassing for them.

I used my mrs' club card thing though so hopefully she get loads of vouchers for other sex toys etc. :)

I dont carry cash, I just carry a card. there is about £5 cash in the car for parking meters but I dont spend that often.

I pay everything direct debit, I buy food once a week, I get most of my DIY supplies on ebay with PayPal...

but occasionally I need a pencil, a bag of crisps or a cup of coffee and buy it on my card (Just solely to wind barry up :) )

I am not skint... tight, yes, but not skint.

Ha! The other week I got one of those durex sex toy things along with a load of vitamins and stuff. Nothing too kinky like windows, just these little vibrating things for a laugh. Anyway, the basket was full of stuff and the b!tch behind the counter put everything else through first and then when it got to my cockring pretended she couldn't find the bar code for it and spun it round loads for everyone to see. Now I don;t give a sh!t, I know she was just trying to embarrass me but as most people that shop in there are mental old women, it was probably embarrassing for them.

I used my mrs' club card thing though so hopefully she get loads of vouchers for other sex toys etc. :)

good stories bro! can u do product review on the butt plug thing in muppet shows please? we could use a sex toy review thread.

Disappointed to hear bout you using club cards tho. Barrington would not like this either, i feel it adds insult to injury when he's behind u in queue busting for vvank.

There's a special card system for small payments in most countries but it's either free standing or attached to your ordinary debit card. Then again most countries don't have never-never credit cards like the UK.

How is it free standing? That sounds massive ballache. Do you have to carry it with you everywhere you go?