Control Panel won't open

Mattio

right click desktop background, go to properties and then something like screen settings? I'm on XP so can't check.

As for your CP issue - never heard of that before. I'd download malware bytes and run it to make sure you don't have some spyware or something.

Yeah, I've come across it. There are various reasons for it, but the bottom line is that the EXE file has become either corrupted or replaced, or the path has been lost. If you venture into the Windows OS you should find your answer.

By default, WinXP doesn't show the file extensions [in fact it doesn't show system files at all, but this can be amended easily]. The path you need is

C [or whatever drive letter your system is on]:\WINDOWS\system32 and find the CONTROL[.EXE] file. As suggested before, it probably won't have the extension showing though. Click on the file to open it. It should work. If it doesn't, it has been corrupted in some way. An easy solution, if you have another PC, is to copy it from the other one, and replace the one you have. Otherwise, get it off a friend's PC with the same OS.

On a Windows OS Disc it exists in the form of a CAB file, and cannot be assessed except through installation. You may find TweakUI for XP can do some repairs, but I can't vouch for it. After all the fussing around, it's easier to just re-install the OS, which by default, gets you a good copy of Control Panel.

Yeah, I've come across it. There are various reasons for it, but the bottom line is that the EXE file has become either corrupted or replaced, or the path has been lost. If you venture into the Windows OS you should find your answer.

By default, WinXP doesn't show the file extensions [in fact it doesn't show system files at all, but this can be amended easily]. The path you need is

C [or whatever drive letter your system is on]:\WINDOWS\system32 and find the CONTROL[.EXE] file. As suggested before, it probably won't have the extension showing though. Click on the file to open it. It should work. If it doesn't, it has been corrupted in some way. An easy solution, if you have another PC, is to copy it from the other one, and replace the one you have. Otherwise, get it off a friend's PC with the same OS.

On a Windows OS Disc it exists in the form of a CAB file, and cannot be assessed except through installation. You may find TweakUI for XP can do some repairs, but I can't vouch for it. After all the fussing around, it's easier to just re-install the OS, which by default, gets you a good copy of Control Panel.

He's on Vista mate. So running a windows repair or doing anything simple can go right out the window.

He's on Vista mate. So running a windows repair or doing anything simple can go right out the window.

Which kind of reminds me that one of my computers should be on Vista. I'm so bloody out of date with Vista it's not true. It's almost embarrassing. Thank goodness the take up for Vista has been relatively small compared to those still using XP.