Crash Helmets

exit2

Im buying a crash helmet in the next few days. I quite like the flip front ones but having mixed reviews from mates, some love em some hate them. So a simple question for you bike owners out there Q: Full face or modular flip front?

KSSELC.jpg

or

SILVER%20FLIP.jpg

Full Face, in my experience, most shops (in fact ive NEVER had a complaint) are cool with leaving your helmet on if you can't be arsed to take it off.

Get something decent tho, doesnt matter how ****ty your moped, slamming your head into a curb at 30mph is going to need some protection.

I have one of these.

http://www.lings.com/lingscentralapp_core.lassoapp?pg=nav&prodview=fc6043f5a3ae9988&sectnum=c7c38973f3fe9736&catnum=35c2ff123a2df76d&-session=Lings:

It's just a shame that blacked out visors are still illegal.

is that because of my boyish good looks or the embarassment of riding a scooter!

So full face it is. Having just seen a few pics from my mates mum who works in A & E of bike riders wearing open face or flip front lids, I think its an easy choice

Thanks guys!

The police use flip-front lids so they can't be bad, personally i'll usually buy an Arai but have recently had a Roof RO10 which is great. The most important thing when buying a helmet is fit, doesn't matter if it costs £100 or £500 if it doesn't fit properly. I find that Shoei, Shark and AGV don't fit the shape of my head and the chinbar sits on my chin! whereas an Arai, Roof or BMW lid fits perfectly. Try as many different makes to find one that suits you.

Can I just say that protective clothing is just as important. My dad went out "just to the shop" on his bike a few years ago in the summer, wearing shorts and t-shirt. He skidded on oil and ripped all the skin off his thigh which was absolutely horrible.

Can I just say that protective clothing is just as important. My dad went out "just to the shop" on his bike a few years ago in the summer, wearing shorts and t-shirt. He skidded on oil and ripped all the skin off his thigh which was absolutely horrible.

Exactly, I dont go even for a 1 min ride "to the shops" without full gear on, including kidney belt.

Hmm, yes. I know what you mean. I'm probably past those days myself, but it's a real buzz to power a bike down the road in just helmet, t-shirt, shorts, gloves and jesus boots with the summer sun on your back. About 8 years ago, I took a mate's Yamaha 750 Sport down to the supermarket after he complained of it handling really badly. He thought it was the steering damper, and that aswell, the bike was inherently a bad 'un. I noticed, while measuring that, after haring through roundabouts and scraping the footrests and exhausts, his front tyre had all of 12 pounds of pressure in it. He was right - it did handle fairly badly, but not the worst I'd ridden. After inflating the tyre to the correct pressure, I quite angrily wrung the bike's neck on the way back. His bike wasn't bad at all, in fact it was a really nice one. The failing was just his complete incompetence as an owner, and to blame his machinery, rather than his lack of attention to the absolute basics.

And I'm not proud of my fast wriggle on his bike, but it sure was a thrill. And I'd not do it nowadays - I think..!?! Nice bike too, which I've a feeling Baj's engine layout is the modern day successor.