Tomb Raider

Colinjb

On the basis of the excellent reviews I've decided to give this franchise reboot a go. Played a little so far last night and have been rather impressed. Excellent atmosphere, good level layout and nice characterisation of Lara Croft.

Anyone else given it a go?

WTF!?! Sorry that should not be happening. They've completely butchered this cult classic! Who is this strange woman?

Well, as someone who didn't like the older games (clunky controls, a real caricature of a protagonist), i'm quite enjoying it!

One of my first ever games was TRII on Windows 98, thoroughly enjoyed it and was part of my indoctrination into this style of gaming. Prior to that I had only known FIFA and Twinsen. Don't recall where I left it though as it's gone now! Might look into getting this for a bit of nostalgia: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomb-Raider-Double-Pack-PC/dp/B0007WI2SI

I'm about 15 hours into this at the moment.

Absolutely superb game, just look at the glowing reviews before you write the game off.

It is a huge departure from Tomb Raider games of old, but it's a hell of a game so give it a go. Only £32 on ShopTo.net at the moment.

What's the best platform for it? PC or PS3? With the old Tomb Raiders I always played them on the PC, but now have a PS3 (and still have a Wii) so would like to know which gameplay is the best. (I did have Tomb Raider Anniversary, I think it was, on the Wii but it was cack.)

What's the best platform for it? PC or PS3? With the old Tomb Raiders I always played them on the PC, but now have a PS3 (and still have a Wii) so would like to know which gameplay is the best. (I did have Tomb Raider Anniversary, I think it was, on the Wii but it was cack.)

I've heard reports of crashing on the PC version, not sure if they've patched it yet though, so I'd say the PS3 probably.

£32 here: http://www.shopto.net/video%20games/ps3/PS3TO20-tomb-raider-inc-exclusive-digital-comic

Edited by BlakeySFC

• 4 weeks later...

Sony had an Easter offer for this from the PSN for the whole game plus downloadable add-ons for just £19.99, so I thought it'd be rude not to.

Only played for a few hours but my initial impressions are good, very good. I'd have no qualms in saying that visually, it's one of the best games I've ever seen. The island and surroundings have been done to great detail, and the human characters are incredibly lifelike.

It's fair to say the series needed a reboot, I hadn't played a TR game since TRIII on the PS1 and this is a million miles away from that. U!fortunately for me you can see the inspiration it has taken from the Uncharted series, which of course was a kind of evolvement of TR in itself, so some of the set pieces or button bashing sequences don't seem as thrilling as they could because Uncharted set the bar ridiculously high for that. For example climbing up the creaky remains of a downed aircraft before it falls doesn't even come close to the hanging train of Uncharted II in the squeaky bum ranks.

That said though it is proving to be a beautiful and enjoyable game, and hopefully by the time I've completed it it'll have formed its own identity as a great game capable of standing on its own merits alongside Uncharted and so many others.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Never finished a Tomb Raider before. This might be the first. It's an extremely good game, reminiscent of not just Tomb Raider, but a ton of other good games. Though it might sound dismissive to make the comparison, it's like a cross between Prince of Persia : Sands of Time and Metal Gear Solid. I'm at the bit where you have to rescue your mate Sam from the fire ritual. Very impressive in the visuals department; one of the best looking games to ever run on my PC.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...