Stuff to do in Dubai

Lighthouse

I'm heading over there in a couple of weeks on business but I reckon I will have about 4 days to myself so was looking for people's recomendations on things worth doing. So far I can think of:

- Wild Wadi water park

- Standing next to tall buildings going, "F**k me innit big!"

- A look around the Mall of the Emirates. (Will give the skiing a miss, that's taken care of elsewhere)

- The beach. Obviously.

- Water sports. Any good places to go in particular.

- Bars and restaurants. Where are the best?

Any other suggestions would be welcome too, although Phil I don't play golf before you cream you knickers. Incidentally if any local Saints want to meet up, I'm buying the beers (not in the Burj Hotel though). Should be out there, when I'm not working, 20th until 24th March.

Hi matey,

Shame there isn't a Saints game on whilst you are here, our little band of Saints fans numbered 18 for the pitiful display v QPR. Who knows there maybe some players out here taking a short break over the blank weekend!!

One of the guys works for Hieneken and does a lot of work with The Barasti Bar so manages to get our match on one of the bigger TV screens every week.

When are you arriving, Where are you staying?

The weather is just warming up, averaging about 30c a day, but seems to be climbing evry day now. Don't seem to do Spring here, last week a bit chilly to sit out at night, now getting too hot!! The Battle of the Waterparks is a close run thing between Wild Wadi and Aqua Adventure at The Atlantis on The Palm. Probably more variations on slides etc at AA if you are into that sort of thing. WW has more lazy river type things. You really should think about skiing whilst you are here. About 30 quid gets you all equipment hire (except gloves and hat, but I could lend you some) and 2 hours on the slopes) have an apres ski beer then head down to the beach for a spot of sunbathing and sundowners. Really is a unique experience!! A lot of people say go to The Burj Khalifa, but I'm pretty sure you are more than used to getting a birds eye view of things to be excited by that. Not done it myself, but the viewing deck is only 2/3rds of the way up, involves loads of queuing and if its dusty you see rock all anyway. You have to book up weeks in advance to get a sunset timing as well. Depending how touristy you want to be, a desert safari (a bit of dune bashing, belly dancing and very basic supper out in the stars) is popular. A trip in a dhow at sunset along the creek at sunset is also ok, cheap and cheerful!! The Dancing Fountains choregraphed to music outside the Dubai Mall is very impressive indeed and can be viewed from the terraces of a few different restuarants. At the other end of the spectrum a visit to Ravi's (a Dubai institution) Curry house (extremely cheap and cheerful) and then a few seedy bars culminating at Sea View which is knee deep in ladies of the night but also hosts the best rock band in town, if that is your cup of tea could be arranged!! Also a hedonistic Friday Brunch, the better ones inc. bubbly can set you back about 80 quid, but are basically a race against time to drink as much as possible, maybe even eat something and then move on to a bar somewhere and hopefully not end up ****ging on the beach and featuring in the next weekend's News of The World etc!!

I'm off for a couple of days from the 20th (although will be busily catching up on all those things that I was meant to have done over the last few weeks but haven't got around to doing, before my wife and daughter and friend arrive here for a few weeks!!) We will most definitely have to meet up for a few beers etc.

Meanwhile http://www.timeoutdubai.com/ will give you an idea on just how many bars and restuarants there are here!!

Phil is away at the moment in Uk ( Norwich!!) and Poland and not much access to Innernet whilst travelling about but should be back after the weekend.

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Cheers, Eric

Went recently and dd the touristy stuff

Go up the Khalifa - it's ******* big and worth it - book in advance (Thanks Phil)

Did the dune bashing - it's OK.

The malls are worth a visit if only to see the scale

Went diving in the aquarium in the dubai Mall - you can do this if you haven't got your padi

If you are a diver there are plenty of operators, however check where they are going to take you. The b'stards picked me up and then declared we were driving to Fujerah two hours away.

As for food - the better half and me are "foodies" so we like to try the higher end restaurants. So if you are up for it I can recommend

Amal at the the Armani Hotel - Seriously good curry, ball breaking bill - window view over the fountains - spectacular

Tagine - Mororocan food

BICE - Really good Italian

And just to say you did it - Brunch at the Burj - although we had carp service and they know how to charge for drinks (£20 for glass of wine and £10 for a bottle of water ffs)

Remember when you go up the Khalifa you are still only 2/3 of the way up and the building left above you is still the size of the Sears tower - it is epic

The fountains are spectacular as well.

Go everywhere by taxi it is very cheap

Wild Wadi is great plus you get a good view of the Al Arab

I'm heading over there in a couple of weeks on business but I reckon I will have about 4 days to myself so was looking for people's recomendations on things worth doing. So far I can think of:

- Wild Wadi water park

- Standing next to tall buildings going, "F**k me innit big!"

- A look around the Mall of the Emirates. (Will give the skiing a miss, that's taken care of elsewhere)

- The beach. Obviously.

- Water sports. Any good places to go in particular.

- Bars and restaurants. Where are the best?

Any other suggestions would be welcome too, although Phil I don't play golf before you cream you knickers. Incidentally if any local Saints want to meet up, I'm buying the beers (not in the Burj Hotel though). Should be out there, when I'm not working, 20th until 24th March.

Don't forget golfing with DP and his friend Tiger (assuming DP's back by then).