Digital Radio

Guan 2.0

Hello all,

Hoping those ITK/with recent experience of digital radios can recommend a good model. Not one for the lounge, just a small one for kitchen use, with a smallish/flexible unobtrusive antenna, and a cd player if possible. Already have a larger one with ipod dock. Thanks.

You brilliant, brilliant man... Sounds spot on!

Always got pure kit myself, never fails me to be honest. Still got one of their original ''bug'' DAB radio's in my room from 2005, still going strong!

I bought a Pure One, took it back after three days. The sound quality was appalling, no tone control and horribly bass-heavy/treble light, no use at all for speech which is what I mainly listen to. Argos do a Bush stereo one for fifty quid, far better, (no cd though.)

I bought a Pure One, took it back after three days. The sound quality was appalling, no tone control and horribly bass-heavy/treble light, no use at all for speech which is what I mainly listen to. Argos do a Bush stereo one for fifty quid, far better, (no cd though.)

That's their single speaker effort isn't it? The proper stereo sets are much better.

You may have had a dodgy model though! Never had any problems with anything I've got from Pure, and I'm a complete perfectionist when it comes to sound quality.

That's their single speaker effort isn't it? The proper stereo sets are much better.

You may have had a dodgy model though! Never had any problems with anything I've got from Pure, and I'm a complete perfectionist when it comes to sound quality.

Do the stereo ones have tone adjustment? I was a bit shocked that this one didnt, it was nearly a hundred quid. It did have wifi iplayer incorporated into it, which was why I bought it. That didnt work very well either, kept freezing part way through programmes.

Do the stereo ones have tone adjustment? I was a bit shocked that this one didnt, it was nearly a hundred quid. It did have wifi iplayer incorporated into it, which was why I bought it. That didnt work very well either, kept freezing part way through programmes.

I would have thought a DAB radio wouldn't need a tone adjustment because there is little or no loss of the signal strength so no distortion and there shouldn't be any background noise. Would be interested to know.

I would have thought a DAB radio wouldn't need a tone adjustment because there is little or no loss of the signal strength so no distortion and there shouldn't be any background noise. Would be interested to know.

This one was all bass and no treble. Speech was practically inaudible.

Could I ask a really dumb question...living where I do I obviously can't get Solent - would an internet radio allow the same range of stations as you get on a computer assuming wifi connection?

Thanks in advance

Could I ask a really dumb question...living where I do I obviously can't get Solent - would an internet radio allow the same range of stations as you get on a computer assuming wifi connection?

Thanks in advance

Yes. You can access all local BBC stations through it, plus podcasts and listen again and stations from all over the world. There's thousands on there. You want a heavy metal station from Turkey, some God bothering from USA or Radio Solent then it's all there.

It also allows for music to be wirelessly streamed from a pc or laptop.

Thanks in advance

You'd get Solent but I don't think they broadcast football matches on the internet due to rights issues. I'm presuming that's what you'd want to access Solent for, and you don't want to hear about Mabel's problems with greenfly on her broad beans.

You'd get Solent but I don't think they broadcast football matches on the internet due to rights issues. I'm presuming that's what you'd want to access Solent for, and you don't want to hear about Mabel's problems with greenfly on her broad beans.

I'm not going to sleep well now I know Mabel has a greenfly problem on her broad beans!

See now I have a problem with DAB radios :-

All (portable) DAB radios that I have seen have a channel up/down button and then you hit select when you have the channel you want.

Now I'd like to buy a DAB radio for the C-I-L. He's registered blind so listens to the radio a lot, quite frankly the noise of him tuning between channels is really, really annoying. Hissssss, channel, hissssss, channel, hissssss, you get the drift........

So, your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to find a portable DAB radio with a simply channel up/down button!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah..thanks, I think I listened to a cup match once but that's probably covered by a different agreement to the FL/PL one.

If anyone could update me on Mabel I've been worried too...

Yes. You can access all local BBC stations through it, plus podcasts and listen again and stations from all over the world. There's thousands on there. You want a heavy metal station from Turkey, some God bothering from USA or Radio Solent then it's all there.

It also allows for music to be wirelessly streamed from a pc or laptop.

Thank you