First cup final

Dr Who?

It got me thinking today when I saw the fixture Sunderland v Norwich, as one of the first cup finals I remember watching back in 1985 (league cup final) great memories of being at my grandparents and with not a care in the world at the age of 10. 28 years ago.

Now the first cup final I was aware of was Brighton v Man U in 1983, but I did not watch it at the age of 8 but remember my late father updating me with scores. Then of course I remember the fa cup semi final in 1984, again at my grandparents, and remember the final, but again did not watch much of it.

The first cup final I watched all the way through involved the first fa cup sending off (Peter Reid) and finished a dull 0-0 only for Norman whiteside to famously smash a shot right in the bottom corner passed big nev.

What are your first memories of cup finals?

Neil Young, Man City v Leicester, 1-0. Man City in red and black stripes, on a black and white TV.

I don't really remember the game (end of 1968/69 season) as I really got into football the following season, but I do recall some photos of Neil Young's goal , and Man City's kit which I thought was quite grand at the time, from the early editions of Shoot magazine.

'My' first FA Cup Final then was Chelsea v Leeds in 1970, with the replay.

Wanted Chelsea to win, we all hated Leeds then (as now).

Liverpool 2 Leeds 1 1965. Liverpool wore red, so this 7 year old supported them and it turned out to be the first time I hated Leeds. I still do.

Funny that !

First one I took real interest in was Chelsea v Leeds 1970, 2-2 draw at Wembley & Chelsea 2-1 winners in the replay on a mud bath at Old Trafford.

Also still have great memories of the 1971 final Arsenal v Liverpool 2-1 and that Charlie George winner for Arsenal great strike & that celebration.

First one I took real interest in was Chelsea v Leeds 1970, 2-2 draw at Wembley & Chelsea 2-1 winners in the replay on a mud bath at Old Trafford.

Also still have great memories of the 1971 final Arsenal v Liverpool 2-1 and that Charlie George winner for Arsenal great strike & that celebration.

Probably the first that I really took interest in as well, could have ended up as a chelski fan but fortunately for me it was indoctrinated into me that the saints were the only side to support.

It got me thinking today when I saw the fixture Sunderland v Norwich, as one of the first cup finals I remember watching back in 1985 (league cup final) great memories of being at my grandparents and with not a care in the world at the age of 10. 28 years ago.

Now the first cup final I was aware of was Brighton v Man U in 1983, but I did not watch it at the age of 8 but remember my late father updating me with scores. Then of course I remember the fa cup semi final in 1984, again at my grandparents, and remember the final, but again did not watch much of it.

The first cup final I watched all the way through involved the first fa cup sending off (Peter Reid) and finished a dull 0-0 only for Norman whiteside to famously smash a shot right in the bottom corner passed big nev.

What are your first memories of cup finals?

I thought the first sending off was Kevin Moran for United for a tackle on Peter Reid and didn't it go in the top left corner?

I thought the first sending off was Kevin Moran for United for a tackle on Peter Reid and didn't it go in the top left corner?

I was at that cup final and it was Kevin Moran and it was a curler by Whiteside in the top corner but from what I remember, he cut in from the right wing and hit it with his left into Southall's top right hand corner. The first I can really remember watching was the Arsenal v Leeds final ('71?) where Charlie George scored the winner.

Incorrect.

Correct about the sending off but it was to the keepers bottom right,

Correct.

I was at that cup final and it was Kevin Moran and it was a curler by Whiteside in the top corner but from what I remember, he cut in from the right wing and hit it with his left into Southall's top right hand corner.

Also wrong.

Everton v Sheffield Wednesday 1966, I supported Wed purely because my hero Ron Springett was in goal (he had played for England and I was a young keeper)

Saints connections : Jimmy Gabriel (Everton) and Jim McCaliog (Wednesday)

This one. No particular affiliation at the time, but seem to remember Wednesday going 2-up, only for Everton to win 3-2. Also a Cornish striker called Mike Trebilco ck got 2 goals for Everton as a stand-in striker for Fred Pickering, who was an England international at the time I think.

At the risk of sounding like a SOG, in the 60's and 70's, the Cup Final was THE football event of the season.

Played at the proper time of 3.00 on a Saturday after the season had ended, it was a rare opportunity for players to play at Wembley.

Turn on the telly at about midday (BBC of course) for 3 hours of buildup. The streets were noticeably quieter that afternoon and the winners got a lot more attention that whoever had won the old 1st Division.

Everyman and his dog plays at Wembley now and the FA Cup has declined in importance, presumably because it's not worth an enormous amount of cash.