Paul Terry to leave at the end of the season

Weston Saint

No suprise there in view of our poor season.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/countycricket2008/content/story/364805.html

Terry quits as Hampshire manager

Cricinfo staff

August 12, 2008

Paul Terry, the Hampshire manager, has announced he will be leaving his role at the end of the season.

"Results haven't gone the way I or the club would have liked, I feel it's the right time to stand aside and give them time to find someone else," he told the BBC. "You get driven by results but they haven't been good enough this year, we haven't done all the disciplines well enough, particularly our batting and catching.

"Things haven't gone to plan with overseas signings, Shane Bond had a few injuries, Shane Watson had to pull out a week or so before he was due here but we've been lucky with our current one Imran Tahir.

"But I'm of the belief that if you rely on your overseas players then you're not going to be a particularly strong squad."

Hampshire have had a difficult summer in both the Championship, where they sit third from bottom of Division One, and the Pro40, where they are propping up the first division.

© Cricinfo

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/display.var.2423361.0..php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/hampshire/7556006.stm

VPT was my coach for a little while, he is responsible for the fact I have a sound batting technique which has allowed me to play cricket at a reasonable level for 17 years despite the fact I am not really a natural sportsman. For this reason he will always have my respect and fond regards. He used to put up with us kids calling him Vivian all the time as well, with good humour :)

And according to the Echo, Chris Adams in the frame to replace him! That would certainly be interesting!

I can't stand the bloke but he is a winner and I'm sure he's one of those characters that you hate as an opponent but love when he's on your side.

They also mention Fletcher - has he not agreed to go back to Glamorgan?

Fletcher and Vaughan as our new manager/captain duo, any chance of that?

Now THAT would be a coup... :D

Not sure what I think about the Adams link, generally the bloke's been a complete **** in games against us, but I guess he's the sort of character you want on your side rather than against you.

Hampshire Cricket Chairman, Rod Bransgrove said:

‘I cannot speak too highly of Paul Terry both as a coach and as a man. He has done a fantastic job in developing the culture of Hampshire Cricket into a highly professional organisation over the last 6 years. His fabulous partnership with Shane Warne helped transform the team from a mediocre outfit to a serious contender in all forms of the game.

We had always acknowledged that this year was going to prove more difficult without Shane’s inspirational leadership on the pitch but Paul continued his coaching duties with characteristic honesty and integrity. Our mediocre performances overall this season have, however, been a great disappointment to him and the strain of prolonged periods away from home has also contributed to his decision. Equally, it became clear that some of the non-coaching elements of the First Team Manager’s role were becoming a distraction.

Whilst everyone at The Rose Bowl will be very sorry to see Paul leave after three decades with Hampshire as both player and coach, it is our intention to maintain a strong connection with him and his Cricket Academy in Perth. On behalf of all our players, coaching team and staff, I wish him the very best of luck in his future career’.

http://www.rosebowlplc.com/news/team-manager-paul-terry-steps-down/

Apparently Chris Adams is going to talk to Bransgrove about taking the job.Sussex have OK'd it.

I think that Echo story is very misleading. There is a general quote from their Chairman to say that if any county wanted to talk to Adams they would not stand in his way in recognition of the success he has given them.

There is absolutely nothing from Hampshire to say whether they do or do not want to speak to Adams and the Sussex chairman's quote is general and not in relation to any request from Hampshire.

Yet the Echo headline is "Adams in talks".

Would prefer Fletcher personally but would be happy with Adams.

I think that Echo story is very misleading. There is a general quote from their Chairman to say that if any county wanted to talk to Adams they would not stand in his way in recognition of the success he has given them.

There is absolutely nothing from Hampshire to say whether they do or do not want to speak to Adams and the Sussex chairman's quote is general and not in relation to any request from Hampshire.

Yet the Echo headline is "Adams in talks".

Would prefer Fletcher personally but would be happy with Adams.

Bransgrove has said he would be interested in having Adams here.Although (as always) The Echo article is misleading.

My "info" was from chats I overheard at The Rose Bowl yesterday anyway......

Had a really good clear out under the stairs late this afternoon. Fished out an old bit of the ECHO newspaper that was obvoiusly being kept for some obscure reason at the time. It had headlines about Nicholl dropping Le Tissier, but in the corner was a little report about Hampshire opener Paul Terry being left out of the side because of poor form. How about that for coincidence..?

BTW, it was 1989 vintage. Because of this thread I've not thrown it away.

_38473409_terry150.jpg

VPT batting with one arm trying to help Allan Lamb reach a century against the West Indies in 1984. He earlier had his arm broken by Winston Davis.

Was this one of the games in which he was so very nervous that both Marshall and Greenidge were visibly encouraging him while he was batting??