New TV

Saint Garrett

Just bought my first house and want to kit it out with a large TV. I'm thinking around 50ish inches. Anyone recommend one? Up to £1,500 but ideally around £1,000 if poss?

I went to currys today to have a look around and they seemed to be raving about the Samsung's, though that maybe because I mentioned that one. Did also mention Panasonic ones but they were a bit better and more pricey.

John Lewis is brilliant for TV's, will price match Curry's etc and give a 5 year warranty.

Personally I have a 4 y/o LG 47" LCD, was going to upgrade this year but having recently started working in the Broadcast technology trade I'll be waiting 12/ 18 months. HD will be phased out in a year and replaced by something called 4K (or probably the more consumer friendly "Ultra HD"), basically it's 4 times the definition of HD (1080p), I've seen it in action and it's outstanding, never thought picture quality could get that good! Already production companies are filming TV series in 4K to "future proof" them, the only issue is distributing and storing the footage as it has huge quantities of data, but the rest of the industry is catching up with the cameras and at the CES exhibition in Vegas a couple of months ago LG, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony were all demoing 4K consumer TV's (I personally have seen the Sony Bravia 84" 4K TV with a live link from a 4K camera at last year's IBC show in Amsterdam and it was by a mile the most impressive thing I've seen tech' wise).

Basically 3D was a massive flop, people don't want to wear stupid glasses in their own homes and see high definition as preferable.

Edited by JackanorySFC

Smart TVs are the the future, it is well worth getting an internet connection to your TV. It better to send the internet via the mains using a home-plug than use a usb wifi stick.

My LG has wireless-n, and it streams HD movies no problem, alright it's only about 2m from the router but......

Oh I love to brag about what electrical equipment I have in my house on the internet! I've got a Bang and Olufsen 68 inch plasma with NASA surround sound and 2160P HD 4D in my cinema room. In my lounge I have a 50 inch Sony KDL-55hx53 and in each bedroom we slum with with a a 40 inch Panasonic 3d super treble base 8600 with cinema surround and built in exploding channel buttons. It's fair to say my TVs are better than yours.

I've got a Bang and Olufsen 68 inch plasma with NASA surround sound and 2160P HD 4D in my cinema room.

tish, i've got one of them them in my guest bathroom. I'm told the IMAX setup in my lounge is the largest screen in western europe. I am considering upgrade soon tho.

Oh I love to brag about what electrical equipment I have in my house on the internet! I've got a Bang and Olufsen 68 inch plasma with NASA surround sound and 2160P HD 4D in my cinema room. In my lounge I have a 50 inch Sony KDL-55hx53 and in each bedroom we slum with with a a 40 inch Panasonic 3d super treble base 8600 with cinema surround and built in exploding channel buttons. It's fair to say my TVs are better than yours.

Post your address and I have a couple of scouse mates that would like to visit and view said items, as they are busy at the moment so it will probably be about 2am ish

tish, i've got one of them them in my guest bathroom. I'm told the IMAX setup in my lounge is the largest screen in western europe. I am considering upgrade soon tho.

It may be bigger but it does it have the custom bulilt 2160p resolution they built just for me and I bets not 4D, 3D is so 2012. So stick that in your IMAX set up lounge and ride it you backward TV dickwad.

Looking at buying a new TV. Any recommendations? This is the one which looks most likely at the moment.

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue37es5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-37-inch-with-freeview-hd/p231560689

If you're looking to wall-mount it then this is a good buy...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-PREMIUM-Wall-Bracket/dp/B003U46SWC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1363871107&sr=8-14

Turks is just jealous as he was one of them kids at school that didn't have a TV. He is lucky though, most of them turned out to be serial killers.

And then when we got one it was one of those that you had to put 50p in the back of to make it work. :(