Titanic II - has it been discussed on here ?

alpine_saint

The plan of this Aussie to build an exact replica (as far as modern shipping standards permit - the new one will be broader) of the Titanic and sail her from Shanghai to Southampton and then on to New York in 2016.

Whats the feeling in Soton about this one ? I've read comments about it being tasteless, but seeing as all the survivors have passed on and there cant be many directly bereaved left either, I for one am more fascinated , even mildly excited about the idea of seeing her sitting alongside the Ocean Terminal and then going over to Weston Shore or Vickky Country Park to watch her depart.

What about you ?

Personally I think it's a tasteless idea that our City should have no part of. By all means build museums and teach future generations of the sacrifices the engineers & crew from our City made on the ship, but a floating commercial insult to those that died is more suited for somewhere like Dubai - not here.

Remember my Great Gran telling me what it was like at school in Chapel the next day, 12 kids from her class lost their Dad's on that ship. Still touches a nerve with me anyway.

Notwithstanding the historical significance of the original Titanic disaster on Southampton, I think the project would have a massive (if short lived) PR impact.

However will the ship ever get built.

The Aussie businessman who is fronting up the cash is reportedly getting the ship built in China as an 'add on' bonus to a number of bulk carriers he is getting built.

The Aussie did not attend the media launch in Soton recently and, apparently, Southampton Port has received no approach from the owners re a berth.

In any event the new ship could not use the original Titanic berth as there are no passenger facilities there now.

I give this project a 30% chance of happening

Personally I think it's a tasteless idea that our City should have no part of. By all means build museums and teach future generations of the sacrifices the engineers & crew from our City made on the ship, but a floating commercial insult to those that died is more suited for somewhere like Dubai - not here.

Remember my Great Gran telling me what it was like at school in Chapel the next day, 12 kids from her class lost their Dad's on that ship. Still touches a nerve with me anyway.

Yeah, I recall the Guardian (I think - it was one of the nationals anyway) wrote about a variation of that story last year when commemorating the 100 year anniversary of the sinking. Apparently the teacher in one class asked any child with a relative on-board to stand up, and the whole class stood.

To be fair I hadnt considered the commercial exploitation that is obviously behind the scheme. I was thinking more of standing in Vickky Park, watching her go by, what must that really look like, and thinking about who was standing there doing the same 104 years before, not realising what was about to happen.

The Chinese are a pretty tasteless bunch, their recreation of European historic sites like Hallstat, here in Austria, back in China, is pretty creepy. I am wondering if the shipyards of any other nation would be willing to do this job.

The more I think about it, the more the idea of traveling on an exact replica freaks me out a bit. I know it affected a lot of people, but I don't see why it would be tasteless...no different in my mind to some of the things they do in Normandy, recreating trenches, bunkers etc. and charging people to come in and "imagine you were really there"...

They already did it, twice.

Weren't the Brittanic and Olympic sister ships of the Titanic? Basically the same ship with extra safety precautions.

Titanic II is pretty tasteless, imo - but then I think the likes of Liverpool and Belfast cashing in on the disaster is pretty tasteless too.

Weren't the Brittanic and Olympic sister ships of the Titanic? Basically the same ship with extra safety precautions.

Titanic II is pretty tasteless, imo - but then I think the likes of Liverpool and Belfast cashing in on the disaster is pretty tasteless too.

Yes they were. and there is a pretty good conspiracy theory that it was infact the Olympic that was sunk as it was damaged in port. Story here:

http://www.titanicuniverse.com/the-titanic-conspiracy-investigating-the-titanic-conspiracy-theory/124

More codswallop from you.

Britannic was never based in Soton as it was requesitioned as a WWI hospital ship immediately after trials and sank off the coast of Greece less than a year later, and Olympic spent most of her time either colliding with other ships or being repaired after such collisions. In fact, Olympics longest duration of crossing the Atlantic was to Liverpool or Glasgow, not Southampton.

More codswallop from you.

Britannic was never based in Soton as it was requesitioned as a WWI hospital ship immediately after trials and sank off the coast of Greece less than a year later, and Olympic spent most of her time either colliding with other ships or being repaired after such collisions. In fact, Olympics longest duration of crossing the Atlantic was to Liverpool or Glasgow, not Southampton.

Sorry Alps, must have missed the part where I said that Brittanic was based in Southampton.

What are you responding to, exactly?