Monthly Lease Properties

SuperMikey

Anyone know if there are any properties to rent in Southampton on a monthly as opposed to yearly basis? My current lease is up in July but me and my flatmates don't want to sign up for another 12 months as we don't know how long we'll all be around this area.

Cheers!

Yes I do! You can lease mine in Southampton on a monthly rolling rent! All I require is a £20k non returnable bond and £15k a month rent.

You do know a lot of tenancy agreements will allow you to give a months notice to move out, regardless of if you have a 12 month term.

Also, it's worth noting that once your current contract has reach the end of its 'fixed term' it will roll over to a monthly 'rolling' contract anyway, so you can stay where you are - assuming you continue to pay the rent - and avoid the need to move somewhere else.

This depends if he is on an AST, or some other student type contract. If an AST then as you say, will just roll over. Also, don't pay any fees to robbing agents if this is the case - the contract doesn't even need to be changed!

Echo what Saint Mikey says, check your contract. If its an AST it automatically converts to a 1-month rolling with a 1-month notice period, this is the law and can't be varied. And ditto for telling the letting agents to get stuffed if they want to charge you a contract renewal fee. Bear in mind however the landlord can seek to start another AST with a fixed-term but in my experience they often don't - the periodic tenancy gives both parties equal powers (1-month notice both sides). ASTs run for a minimum of 6 months if they have a break clause built in, or you mutually agree to terminate so are a bit less flexible. Having rented for 13-odd years I always had an initial 1-year AST followed by conversion to a periodic tenancy...

It's a student lease through a private landlord, so not quite sure what that is. I'll check my tenancy agreement.

Done some googling and it seems that I could ask the letting agency that another house is with for 2 6 month leases instead of a full year? Not sure if that's correct or not.