LucasArts RIP

pap

LucasArts, one of the best game development studios of the 1990s, is to be closed by parent company Disney.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/22025391

Excellent studio back in their day. The X-Wing and TIE Fighter games were class, and although I've never finished Monkey Island, I thought Full Throttle was ace. Dark Forces II blew me away.

Floral tributes and memories of games, please.

Loved all of the old LucasArts old adventure games on the Amiga. Indiana Jones, Zak McKrakken, Monkey Island etc. Class games and many an evening (and early hours of the morning) was spent completing those games.

The last Monkey Island I played on the PS3 was pretty poor though. Shame, but I have fond memories of LucasArts and the games they produced.

• 2 weeks later...
Grim Fandango was a masterpiece.

+1 x a million. A great storyline and wonderful artwork, even if the gameplay was a little lacking. I still have the game but can no longer get it work on modern PC's. This was a shame as I really wanted to play it again, until I realised someone had put the whole walkthrough on YouTube. Still I'd have always loved a sequel with Glottis and co.

Some of the LucasArts designers from their adventure game series went on to create TellTale games, which made the recent Back To The Future game. (Which had a good story but terrible gameplay.)

• 4 weeks later...
Grim Fandango was a masterpiece.

Good news Grim Fandango fans (like myself) - Tim Schafer (the mastermind creator behind Grim Fandango) is making a NEW point-and click game - his first since Grim Fandango was released - and it's set to be out later in the year, called BROKEN AGE. It was partially funded by the public using Kick Starter - and turned out top be the largest crowd-funded video game of all time, raking in millions of dollars rather than the few hundred thousand he originally wanted.

Shows how much the public want the game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Age