Are Pompey good value at 14/1 ..

KK the 2nd

It's going to be really wide open this season, I think.

At the start of the season, everyone was expecting the three promoted sides to go straight back down. However, Hull have already got half the points they need to stay up and Stoke's home form is excellent (and still nobody seems capable of stopping the Delap throw-in tactic!). West Brom, who most people probably expected to be the most competitive have actually been the opposite, and have struggled to score goals so far while not being good enough at the back to keep enough clean sheets.

Spurs and Newcastle have had dreadful starts but with the players at their disposal you'd expect them to be out of trouble eventually. Fulham and Bolton continue to struggle, particularly in front of goal. Neither side have conceded many, but if you don't score goals, you don't win games. Wigan have played well for most of the season and have got the find of the season in Amr Zaki, but somehow they found themselves in the bottom three before Saturday (and would be bottom now but for Heskey's last minute winner at Fratton Park). I have doubts over whether Steve Bruce is the right man to keep Wigan out of trouble, particularly when he keeps picking Titus Bramble...

Sunderland have spent a fortune but are still rubbish, yet barely anybody in the media is questioning Roy Keane's managerial ability or his judge of a player's ability/value. Blackburn aren't the force they were last season and both Pompey and West Ham look as though they'll be conducting a bargain basement "everything must go" sale in January, so it's going to be very very tight.

For what it's worth, my prediction:

1. Chelsea

2. Liverpool

3. ManYoo

4. Arsenal

5. Aston Villa

6. Man City

7. Everton

8. Tottenham

9. Blackburn

10. Middlesbrough

11. Newcastle

12. Hull

13. West Ham

14. Pompey

15. Wigan

16. Fulham

17. Stoke

18. Sunderland

19. West Brom

20. Bolton

So Pompey will be safe, but I think the margin between 12th and 18th will be in single figures.

Sunderland have spent a fortune but are still rubbish, yet barely anybody in the media is questioning Roy Keane's managerial ability or his judge of a player's ability/value.

Agreed. Why is this? Are the media scared of criticising Keane? He's spent an absolute fortune getting them promoted, keeping them up and then supposedly moving onto the 'next level'. They should be properly competing with the amount of cash they have spent, yet they are still very, meh.

What Brown has done at Hull, now that's good management. Spending £150m odd and still flattering to deceive - isn't.

Depends what happens in January tbh. If they go & sell Crouch, Defoe, Kranjcar, Diarra...etc then i think they may get dragged into it.

I'd be tempted to put a couple of quid on it but no more than that at this stage. Besides i knew if i bet on them to go down they'd be sure to stay up!

Well, bet on them staying up then!

• 2 months later...
Now 9/4 to go down .. could happen. Anyone else get on at 14/1? I would love picking up my winnings on this one!!

Always better to bet on Pompey, that way you can't lose. If Pompey go down, you'll be happy, if Pompey stay up you can console yourself with a nice meal on the good people at PFC, you can't lose. I've edged my bets like that with Saints a few times, think of it as a disappointment insurance policy! :)

Always better to bet on Pompey, that way you can't lose. If Pompey go down, you'll be happy, if Pompey stay up you can console yourself with a nice meal on the good people at PFC, you can't lose. I've edged my bets like that with Saints a few times, think of it as a disappointment insurance policy! :)

Are you stupid sir? If you bet on Pompey but they don't get relegated noone's going to give you a penny!

I actually put £100 at 14/1 for Pompey to win the cup when they beat Man Utd on the premise that I have never won anything from a bet.

My plan that this would scupper Pompeys chances obviously didnt work.

For the record I gave all of my ill gotten gains to charity, incl the £100 stake!!

Whats the odds on Pompey/Saints & Bournemouth all being relgated?

Or those three plus Brighton & Salisbury?

Adams probably won't resign IMO. He did that at Wycombe and got no pay off. 'Arry would have shared his wisdom with him re 'how to **** on people and get compensated for doing so' IMHO.

It won't be long though, and wouldn'rt it be cool if Jan Portvliet took his place and royally ****ed them up the arse. Then he could come back to us.

I actually put £100 at 14/1 for Pompey to win the cup when they beat Man Utd on the premise that I have never won anything from a bet.

My plan that this would scupper Pompeys chances obviously didnt work.

For the record I gave all of my ill gotten gains to charity, incl the £100 stake!!

Whats the odds on Pompey/Saints & Bournemouth all being relgated?

Or those three plus Brighton & Salisbury?

Quite probable as it happens. Both Saints and Bournemouth are odds on to go down (8/11 and 4/6 respectively) with Pompey at 9/4 the combined odds are just over 8/1 on all 3 going down.

Brighton more likely to stay up and are 9/2 for the drop so all four to go down would be about 50/1. (can't see any odds on Salisbury).

Sadly I think as poor as Pompey are, Middlesborough, West Brom and Stoke are too poor to overhall them.

Of course I'd go mental if Beattie scored the goals to keep Stoke up at the Skate's expense. Can you imagine...

stoke have picked up some good points so far and have that fighting spirit too, i think they will be ok..just.

14/1 is a very sporting price, although they seem likely to stay up.

14/1 poopey to go down doubled with 4/1 chelsea or Liverpool (don't know what they are now, was 9/2 on Saturday) would make a nice double, and with a bit of luck would keep the interest going till near the end of the season.

funny how Ho has disappeared.I always said he disappears when the going gets tough and he can't take stick. He's probably been on holiday again Lol. sadly this post will bring him back as he cant not bite back.

Pompey transfer gossip threads by him seem short supply as well.