[USA] NBC next year (too good to be true?) (+ Spurs v Saints on ESPN2)

Sat May 4. 3pm UK time.

Spurs v Saints live on TV on ESPN2. Cool.

NBC have been releasing more stuff about their coverage next year. All sounds VERY promising. Too promising?

Info & discussion:

http://epltalk.com/2013/04/16/nbc-announces-details-of-premier-league-coverage-plans-for-2013-14/

Main points.

All games live on NBC Live Extra Stream (but only if you are with certain TV providers - currently this doesn't include Directv or Dish). Not good.

However - and this seems too good to be true...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nbc-networks-televise-epl-next-180415355--sow.html

>> In addition, NBC is making available free to all carriers of NBC Sports Network a package of every EPL game played at 10 a.m. ET on Saturdays - the primary starting time in the Premier League. Called Premier League Extra Time, it is similar to DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket

I get the NBC sports network on Directv (part of the Sports package I think it is) so this means I get to choose any game live at no additional cost? ie can watch Saints live on TV each week?

Am I missing something here?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130416/english-premier-league-nbc-tv-coverage/

>> The network said any game not designated for an NBCU channel will be available on Premier League Extra Time, which is similar to MLB's Extra Innings Package. (There is no charge to customers whose cable systems have NBC Sports Network.)

I can't find a catch anywhere here. Basically NBC will be showing EVERY game live on TV at what appears to be no extra cost (if you already have NBC Sports as part of your package). We'll see 'ey?

Plus points - bye bye Warren Barton and dickhead Eric Wynalda. Welcome some of the pundits mentioned in the article - Gary Lineker??

Will this work out cheaper now? No more subscriptions to the Fox channels/services?

"All games live on NBC Live Extra Stream (but only if you are with certain TV providers - currently this doesn't include Directv or Dish). Not good."

I'd expect DTV to announce something soon, they're just stalling for a bit hopefully.

From reading the comments, it appears that they may offer a similar format of delayed games on TV throughout the day (providing your TV service offers the full range of NBC channels). I really hope they do, as I liked it the way it was. Don't want to have to rely on waking at 7am most Saturdays. I always liked to be able to record from either ESPN/FSP/FSC and watch when I wanted.

From reading the comments, it appears that they may offer a similar format of delayed games on TV throughout the day (providing your TV service offers the full range of NBC channels). I really hope they do, as I liked it the way it was. Don't want to have to rely on waking at 7am most Saturdays. I always liked to be able to record from either ESPN/FSP/FSC and watch when I wanted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130416/english-premier-league-nbc-tv-coverage/

>[/font][/color]

LV - I'm reading it that 'Premier League Extra Time' is going to be a new TV channel(s) - this means you can watch Saints LIVE every week - or tape it and watch it when you get up. They tend not to use 'press the red button' here so you should be ok to do this.

They basically are saying that every game will be live on TV (via existing NBC channels & Premier League Extra Time) and live online (via NBC Live Extra Stream). All subject to availability via your provider etc.

I can find no mention of them starting to charge a subscription for NBC Sports Network - so like I said - too good to be true at the moment!

Yes, this is looking a lot better than when it was originally mooted several months ago. Their 'getting EPL out to as many people as possible' rhetoric might just work.

Welcome back NBC, your Olympics debacle might now be put to rest. :)

Sounds very promising - although I struggle to believe NBC won't screw this up somehow.

They seem to be giving it a good shot at doing it right. Seem to be...

I guess their angle on showing every game for (relatively) free is to try and get some viewers and therefore more ad revenue? We often forget how low the viewing figures for UK football are in the USA (timezone doesn't help).

NBC Sports Network is available on Dish & Directv and most cable companies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Sports_Network

All good at the moment...

• 2 weeks later...

Five improvements NBC could make to the lives of fans of the EPL:

1) Avoid introducing the cringeworthy deep-throat voiceover promos Fox uses

2) Employ thoughtful commentators that add insight to the game. Preferably individuals that can describe a goal being scored without simply resorting to bellowing the players name.

3) Provide access to all games even with a nominal subscription fee on cable or satellite.

4) Include a comprehensive highlights package with knowledgeable pundits in studio - not Eric Wynalda, Ian Wright and definitely not that ***** that spouts "Onion bag" at every opportunity.

5) Integrating MLS and European league football is fine as long as the program is not dominated by Europa and Champions League nonsense.

We've just got to make sure we're around to enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

They are including 'Match of the Day' to their highlights programming. Don't get too excited, it's 'based' on the UK version, so will probably end up being ****e. I'll stick to downloading the real deal Saturday evenings, which I've done every week this last season.

Really looking forward to next season, just hoping that all these channels are available to us all via the TV...

Still hanging on to FSC for Sky Sports News though. They are switching back to the 4PM PST live broadcasts again instead of just in the morning and late at night, from next week.

• 2 weeks later...

As expected there is potentially a hitch for some of us. At the moment Directv hasn't confirmed yet if they are going to have the 'Premier League Extra Time' channels. Read the comments (especially by 'the gaffer') on this page. Good information.

They prob will end up showing them (they are forever going on about how 'if you love sport you need Directv'). Why the drama then? They seem good at that.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/04/17/nbc-sports-to-take-the-premier-league-to-the-next-level-in-the-united-states/

• 3 weeks later...

A quick mention regarding Directv customers who subscribe to Fox Soccer Channel>>>

So today I see they have completely dropped Sky Sports News from FSC. W@nkers....

Did some digging and it appears that when the Fox channels morph into Fox Sports 1 later this summer, they will be including a Sky Sports News broadcast, one time a day, at 4am!

Called Directv to cancel FSC and just found out that since January 1st this year, FSC was not in the Sports Package anymore, that I had been paying for. It had been a FREE channel. Fortunately got 6 months' worth of subscription credited.

So, for those that had been paying for the Sports Package (solely for FSC) for the last 6 months, make sure that you don't get charged for it!

So...when Fox Sports 1 starts up this summer, it'll include Champions League, Eng internationals, FA Cup as well as one Sky Sports News a day. Hopefully it's free...

At least you got 6 months credited. Thanks for the heads up - I didn't even know FSC was changing to FS1. I guess it's so they can show more than just soccer or something.

They're consolidating after losing their baby - Premier League. Unfortunately it means cramming all of their remaining sports (including rugby) into one channel and SSN gets cut to one showing.

• 3 weeks later...

That one showing of SSN looks to be in jeopardy now. It's been off air for only two weeks and I'm missing my staple fix of English sports news (and assorted SSN bitches)...

Here is the link to the story and also a link to contact Fox Sports if you feel inclined to ask them to hang on to it >>

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/07/02/future-of-sky-sports-news-on-fox-is-up-in-the-air/

Just had a chat with Comcast and they're not even aware Premier League broadcast rights have been bought by NBC... FSC is part of a sports package I'm paying $9 a month for and will drop that once NBC starts. The only piece I'm slightly skeptical about is how to access NBC Sports Live Extra

Here's the lineup until December:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/premier-league-tv-schedule/

I thought those cable companies were ready and set with providing the necessary channels to get all games. Anyone have any up to date news on whether Directv have pulled their heads out of their bottoms yet regarding this issue?

Directv still hasn't confirmed one way or the other whether they are going to carry 'Premier League Extra Time' (the extra TV channels that will allow you to watch every single Prem game live) or 'NBC Sports Live Extra' (the online version to watch every game).

The best site (as linked a couple of times above) to follow developments seems to be:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/

https://www.facebook.com/worldsoccertalk

Watch this space...

Five improvements NBC could make to the lives of fans of the EPL:

1) Avoid introducing the cringeworthy deep-throat voiceover promos Fox use

Admittedly a bit of a distraction trying to watch footie, but a few Linda Lovelace scenes at HT can't be all bad :poundit:

I have directv so would really like to know what they aee going to do are local cable company is mediacom and they are currently on my poop list for screwing me over on my internet. So I will have to see I hope that I will be able record games as I have to work every other saturday.

Just knocked one out, thanks for the good news Rut!

Plus Directv say “The Premier League Extra Time channel range has yet to be announced and will be available in HD only.”

HD only? Oh no! That's horrible! Hopefully they'll have decent surround sound as well so you can turn down the commentary and hear mainly the crowd.

Although I think Saints are def looking UP the table now there is only one thing that counts now. Staying up!

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/07/29/nbc-announces-tv-schedule-for-epl-matches-between-aug-dec-including-10-on-free-to-air-nbc/

Includes the current list of TV providers who are on board:

Premier League Extra Time (every game on TV)

DirecTV, DISH Network, AT&T U-verse, Cablevision’s Optimum, Comcast Xfinity TV and Suddenlink.

NBC Sports Live Extra (every game online)

AT&T U-verse, Cablevision’s Optimum, Comcast Xfinity, COX, DirecTV, DISH Network, RCN, Suddenlink and Verizon FiOS, as well as many other TV providers.

Roll on the new season...

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/07/29/nbc-announces-tv-schedule-for-epl-matches-between-aug-dec-including-10-on-free-to-air-nbc/

Includes the current list of TV providers who are on board:

Premier League Extra Time (every game on TV)

DirecTV, DISH Network, AT&T U-verse, Cablevision’s Optimum, Comcast Xfinity TV and Suddenlink.

NBC Sports Live Extra (every game online)

AT&T U-verse, Cablevision’s Optimum, Comcast Xfinity, COX, DirecTV, DISH Network, RCN, Suddenlink and Verizon FiOS, as well as many other TV providers.

Roll on the new season...

Can't wait! Still can't believe they are making it this easy for me....

This is the full version of the great NBC advert for their coverage (an American becomes Spurs manager). Superbly done and of course he has a very predictable nickname given to him. Definitely worth a watch. Funny as...

Good news for anyone on Time Warner - they are showing 'Extra Time':

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/08/time-warner-adds-premier-league-extra-time-but-no-go-on-nbc-sports-live-extra/

Just as well cos that is what channel Saints are on for the first batch of games:

[TABLE=width: 595]

[TR]

[TD]Date[/TD]

[TD]Time (ET)[/TD]

[TD]Home[/TD]

[TD]Away[/TD]

[TD]Network[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sat., Aug. 17[/TD]

[TD]7:45 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Liverpool[/TD]

[TD]Stoke City[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Arsenal[/TD]

[TD]Aston Villa[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN, mun2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Norwich[/TD]

[TD]Everton[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Sunderland[/TD]

[TD]Fulham[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]West Ham[/TD]

[TD]Cardiff[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]West Brom[/TD]

[TD]Southampton[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]12:30 p.m.[/TD]

[TD]Swansea[/TD]

[TD]Man United[/TD]

[TD]NBC, mun2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sun., Aug. 18[/TD]

[TD]8:30 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Crystal Palace[/TD]

[TD]Tottenham[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]11 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Chelsea[/TD]

[TD]Hull City[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mon., Aug. 19[/TD]

[TD]3 p.m.[/TD]

[TD]Man City[/TD]

[TD]Newcastle[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wed., Aug. 21[/TD]

[TD]2:30 p.m.[/TD]

[TD]Chelsea[/TD]

[TD]Aston Villa[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sat., Aug. 24[/TD]

[TD]Fulham[/TD]

[TD]Arsenal[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN, mun2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Newcastle[/TD]

[TD]West Ham[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Everton[/TD]

[TD]West Brom[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Southampton[/TD]

[TD]Sunderland[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Hull City[/TD]

[TD]Norwich[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Stoke City[/TD]

[TD]Crystal Palace[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Aston Villa[/TD]

[TD]Liverpool[/TD]

[TD]NBC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sun., Aug. 25[/TD]

[TD]11 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Tottenham[/TD]

[TD]Swansea[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN, mun2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]11 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Cardiff[/TD]

[TD]Man City[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mon., Aug 26[/TD]

[TD]3 p.m.[/TD]

[TD]Man United[/TD]

[TD]Chelsea[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sat., Aug. 31[/TD]

[TD]Man City[/TD]

[TD]Hull City[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Newcastle[/TD]

[TD]Fulham[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Cardiff[/TD]

[TD]Everton[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]West Ham[/TD]

[TD]Stoke City[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]West Brom[/TD]

[TD]Swansea[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Norwich[/TD]

[TD]Southampton[/TD]

[TD]Extra Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Crystal Palace[/TD]

[TD]Sunderland[/TD]

[TD]NBC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sun., Sept. 1[/TD]

[TD]8:30 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Liverpool[/TD]

[TD]Man United[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN, Telemundo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]11 a.m.[/TD]

[TD]Arsenal[/TD]

[TD]Tottenham[/TD]

[TD]NBCSN, mun2[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Just downloaded the NBC Sports Extra app for iphone. Simple to setup, just login with your TV provider details - I'm with Comcast Xfinity and there are "mobile" slots already setup to watch any of the EPL games. Impressed so far. Its almost too good to be true.

Has Directv announced or added he extra time channels yet? I searched through the channel line up on friday and I didnt see it there yet. Its only a few more days, getting a little worried as saints is not on the regular channels for the first few weeks.

491-495 is currently showing as 'EPL' - I assume these will be the Premier League Extra Time channels. There is no game info on them yet. I'm sure there will be later in the week...

http://www.directv.com/guide

Checked again just now and WBA v Saints is on Directv on channel 494. We may be screwed though. It actually says 'West Broms' vs Southampton. Playing 2 of them at once could be tricky...

Bring it on.

Just downloaded the NBC Sports Extra app for iphone. Simple to setup, just login with your TV provider details - I'm with Comcast Xfinity and there are "mobile" slots already setup to watch any of the EPL games. Impressed so far. Its almost too good to be true.

Have you managed to find out which channel we are on, as part of the vague 'extra time' service? I've been searching on xfinity for ages and can't find anything online either...

Sorry for always posting on this thread but you never know - someone one day may find it useful. This is from http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/15/where-to-find-premier-league-extra-time-on-your-cable-or-satellite-system/ - not good if you are on Dish. You'll only be able to watch every game online. Better than nothing but obv not as good as having them on TV as well...

Were you can find the Premier League Extra Time channels:

AT&T Uverse

SD – Channels 690-697.

HD – Channels 1690-1697.

Bright House Networks

The channel listings differ by market:

Bakersfield market: 1180-1184

Birmingham market: 858-862

Detroit market: 1511-1515

Indianapolis market: 1511-1515

Central Florida market: 1831-1835

Tampa Bay market: 1831-1835

Cablevision’s Optimum

Channels 470-475.

Comcast Xfinity TV

Unknown

Cox

Unknown

DirecTV

Premier League Extra Time channels can be found on channels 491-494.

DISH

DISH was originally listed as one of the participating TV providers who would offer Premier League Extra Time, but DISH has decided to offer NBC Sports Live Extra only (in addition to NBC and NBC Sports Network, of course).

Mediacom

Unknown

Suddenlink

Unknown

Time Warner Cable

Unknown

Sorry for always posting on this thread but you never know - someone one day may find it useful. This is from http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/15/where-to-find-premier-league-extra-time-on-your-cable-or-satellite-system/ - not good if you are on Dish. You'll only be able to watch every game online. Better than nothing but obv not as good as having them on TV as well...

Verizon have gone worryingly quiet on this. Might actually have to switch to Comcast as I have heard they will be making the channels available.

AT&T Uverse

SD – Channels 690-697.

HD – Channels 1690-1697.

Bright House Networks

The channel listings differ by market:

Bakersfield market: 1180-1184

Birmingham market: 858-862

Detroit market: 1511-1515

Indianapolis market: 1511-1515

Central Florida market: 1831-1835

Tampa Bay market: 1831-1835

Cablevision’s Optimum

Channels 470-475.

Comcast Xfinity TV

Unknown

Cox

Unknown

DirecTV

Premier League Extra Time channels can be found on channels 491-494.

DISH

DISH was originally listed as one of the participating TV providers who would offer Premier League Extra Time, but DISH has decided to offer NBC Sports Live Extra only (in addition to NBC and NBC Sports Network, of course).

Mediacom

Unknown

Suddenlink

Unknown

Time Warner Cable

Unknown

It's less than 2 days and Comcast xfinity is still unknown... Dammit!

It's less than 2 days and Comcast xfinity is still unknown... Dammit!

Keep checking that link. They've added more info for Comcast ("Premier League Extra Time feeds will be accessible through Xfinity On Demand and not as channels per se").

Which link?

Thanks for the heads up on the On Demand mate, will check it out in a minute!

The one as above: http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/15/where-to-find-premier-league-extra-time-on-your-cable-or-satellite-system/

NBC have now got a channel finder: http://www.nbcsports.com/ExtraTime

Put in your zip code and provider and it tells you what games you can see on what channels.

I think we all get the idea now... Enjoy the season everyone. 3-1 to Saints tomorrow.

The one as above: http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/08/15/where-to-find-premier-league-extra-time-on-your-cable-or-satellite-system/

NBC have now got a channel finder: http://www.nbcsports.com/ExtraTime

Put in your zip code and provider and it tells you what games you can see on what channels.

I think we all get the idea now... Enjoy the season everyone. 3-1 to Saints tomorrow.

Cool, the channel finder wasn't up before. However all it says for Comcast is that service 'varies by region'. It's still not showing up where it is supposed to in the on demand menu under sports and leisure... I'm holding out hope it'll magically appear by the game tomorrow. Otherwise it's back to the computer.

This might sound a bit lazy but could anyone please clear my mind and tell me for sure if the Saints games are all on NBC if I have Comcast Infinity here in Florida? I'm a US newbie and still trying to get my barings. - cheers

Yes mate.

Unless we are being shown on the main NBC sports channel, the games are inside the On Demand menu. Select Sports and Fitness, then Premier League and you will find them.

Last weekend, the live games only showed up about 10 minutes before kickoff - and you could only watch the game from the beginning with no fast forward or rewind, and there is no way to jump to live... I did find out that by using the Page up and down buttons on the remote, you can jump 5 minutes forwards or back - but if you jump past where the game is actually at live, it'll throw you back out to the menu.

After the game is over though, it does show up (with full controls) to watch on demand in the same menu.

They don't make it easy, but hey, the games are there and free!

Last weekend, the live games only showed up about 10 minutes before kickoff - and you could only watch the game from the beginning with no fast forward or rewind, and there is no way to jump to live... I did find out that by using the Page up and down buttons on the remote, you can jump 5 minutes forwards or back - but if you jump past where the game is actually at live, it'll throw you back out to the menu.

FFS! Hopefully just teething trouble and it gets smoothed over soon.

Can anyone with Directv give an account of how it was for them? I hope they are telling us which Extra time channel will show what with enough warning so I can set the right one to record. Don't want to get up at stinking 7am every Saturday....