Next Box

St Marco

If I was to get a next generation games console, this looks very appealing.

Focusing on total media integration into one place while also allowing traditional gaming. Albeit there is a need for streaming (hopefully not the only way games will be available, the use of a blu-ray drive and 8 gig hard drive indicate it won't be) and DRM restrictions on playing your games on other people's consoles is not great.

The launch price will be important but I'm impressed.

After the abject failure of the WiiU, the ball is now in Sony's court.

Edited by Colinjb

It looks very uninspiring, and I don't think I'll be wrong in saying gaming has just plateaued with the Xbox One like tv did with Digital/HD and video did with DVD/Blu-Ray. i.e. it's got to the point where the only people upgrading are likely to be the geeks and those with cash to splash.

Already garnering a lot of negative attention. Every game has to be installed to the hard drive. If you don't have a one-time code, you'll need to pay a pre-owned fee.

All Sony needs to do to win the next console generation is NOT do this :) We'll see.

I quite like the whole TV interactive idea. If it works as they say then that will be the death of remotes. Which is about time!

Other then that was a bit men. E3 is where they will show the games.

As a PC gamer the installs doesn't really bother me. Nor having it connected to the internet as I don't move it from where it lives. I doubt many do.

But the thing that annoys me and is putting me off getting one is the fee to play 2nd hand games. If I buy a game and it is crap then I want to sell it to get a new one. That in my view is a bad call and one which I hope get's destroyed asap.

But in truth neither MS or Sony really impressed me. Sony didn't even show a console and some of the games they did show were running on PC (watch dogs).

It will all boil down to the price and games. Anything above £250 and they can forget it s they are both too similar to what we already have.

I quite like the whole TV interactive idea. If it works as they say then that will be the death of remotes. Which is about time!

Other then that was a bit men. E3 is where they will show the games.

As a PC gamer the installs doesn't really bother me. Nor having it connected to the internet as I don't move it from where it lives. I doubt many do.

But the thing that annoys me and is putting me off getting one is the fee to play 2nd hand games. If I buy a game and it is crap then I want to sell it to get a new one. That in my view is a bad call and one which I hope get's destroyed asap.

But in truth neither MS or Sony really impressed me. Sony didn't even show a console and some of the games they did show were running on PC (watch dogs).

It will all boil down to the price and games. Anything above £250 and they can forget it s they are both too similar to what we already have.

Apples and oranges really. I have no problem buying something on Steam because I know that I'll be able to play it now and forever, on any PC I happen to own.

I am amazed that they are going to be charging a pre-owned fee, and reports suggest that fee won't be far off full price. Games are devalued when you take the shrink-wrap off anyway. Now they will be virtually worthless.

Always going to be the plan and Sony are laying the path for the same on the next gen machine with their playstation plus - wouldn't be surprised if that was all downloaded games. These firms realise they miss out on income due to the deals done on second hand games and want that money, much like iOs games. Although they are much better priced of course

Always going to be the plan and Sony are laying the path for the same on the next gen machine with their playstation plus - wouldn't be surprised if that was all downloaded games. These firms realise they miss out on income due to the deals done on second hand games and want that money, much like iOs games. Although they are much better priced of course

Playstation Plus is completely different; Sony's attempt to eke some cash out of its online offering. Damn good service too. The price of a game per year, for tons of games per year. Ok, they're not all brand new, but it's a great deal. Sony considered no pre-owned with PS3 at one point, but backed out.

It'll be interesting to see whether they take a similar path now that bad guys Microsoft have broken the mould.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it doesn't really matter but saw the design of the new one for the first time yesterday and christ what an ugly black brick it is! , there have been some sexy suggestions with slimline consoles with green glowing glass around that would look cool in your lounge, this looks like carp.

Unless they have some major unique titles ( which gets less and less with each year, I come for ninteno/sega wars era where games were exclusive pretty much to the format) I will only be getting a PS4 at some point. Been very impressed with PS plus and TBH I love the PS controller, always felt - just right

£429

No chance would I pay that

Is it really that bad?

PS1 was £299 on release in the mid 1990s. £429 for a much more capable machine doesn't sound too bad, ESP when an iPad will set you back that much.

Is it really that bad?

PS1 was £299 on release in the mid 1990s. £429 for a much more capable machine doesn't sound too bad, ESP when an iPad will set you back that much.

It is when for a casual gamer. I can get a machine just as good (if not better) for £80 less and play 2nd hand games

Xb One has exclusive content for all EA games inc Fifa. And you can buy one copy of a game to share between 10 people. £4.50 for a game split 10 ways... Or 45 quid just for yourself?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

• 2 weeks later...
Microsoft still don't deserve my money after trying to screw everyone over and failing.

Indeed, they haven't changed their minds to make the customers happier, they've changed their minds just so that they have customers in the first place. Wouldn't surprise me if they introduce DRM a couple of years down the line, actually.

Out of interest I am guessing you guy's really hate Valve and Steam right and will not be buying their steambox due to the DRM?

I don't have a problem with drm for downloads. My problem is drm with physical media (and yes I know steam does that too and it's wrong.) the beauty of steam is that they sell many games for bargain prices whilst Microsoft and Sony sell theirs for huge fees. I'm not paying 50 quid for a game that will become worthless once I have bought it.

I don't have a problem with drm for downloads. My problem is drm with physical media (and yes I know steam does that too and it's wrong.) the beauty of steam is that they sell many games for bargain prices whilst Microsoft and Sony sell theirs for huge fees. I'm not paying 50 quid for a game that will become worthless once I have bought it.

You see I 100% agree with you. Places like Greenmangaming and the steam sales are what make Steam so amazing.

In theory MS tried to copy them. There is an element of control but also of trying to bring costs down.

Right now as you mention we have games that cost £50 on release day, then a week later slightly less, then a few months later under £20. When it get's beyond those first few months the price drops even further.

Take Far Cry 3. Came out what 4-5 months ago? Is one of the best games out there. On 360/ps3 you can now get it for £14 and on pc for well under £10. When they get to that price the whole second hand thing no longer matters as they are worthless almost. To again use Far Cry 3, you will get about £5 for it.

So point is in theory the price of games will follow the steam/digital price format. Having them be physical just keeps the price high to begin with.

Eventually everything will be done via digital distribution.

MS made a huge mistake with the this thing but most companies now follow that format. Apple/Google/Steam etc

For Playstation 4 as opposed to XBox one

1) More powerful - No it isn't

2) Supposed to be easier to program - Compared to standard Windows C++?

3) Sharing games - See above U-Turn

4) Playstation Plus - Can't argue that PS Plus has been terrific, won't continue to be as brilliant next gen though, at least not for a year or two

5) Online/Offline when you choose - See above U-Turn

6) Price - Mostly down to the Kinect, added £70 if you want similar with PS4 (most won't)

It's closer than you think.

Too little, too late. They tried to screw over the one thing that makes them what they are: the consumers. Going back on it doesn't change that, it's the equivalent of someone holstering a gun after aiming it at your face, you still don't feel completely safe around that person. Luckily I think non-bias gamers will see the situation the same, and buy a PS4 anyway as its nearly £100 cheaper, and more powerful.

The price is usually 90% the deciding factor in the decision between Xbox and Playstation nowadays. They're basically the same console.

I find it interesting that my son (11), nor any of his friends, want the new Xbox as they won't be able to play their library of games.

I'll be putting my Xbox 360 throught the HDMI of the Xbox One. Then I can use the Picture in picture functionality of the One and the kids can play one game while i play another.

I'll be putting my Xbox 360 throught the HDMI of the Xbox One. Then I can use the Picture in picture functionality of the One and the kids can play one game while i play another.

I'm sure all the children will be rushing to do that. Oh wait, no, they won't. They'll stick to the 360 and just carry on playing via Gold as they have been doing.

When kids aren't interested then you know they've fu.cked up.

I'm sure all the children will be rushing to do that. Oh wait, no, they won't. They'll stick to the 360 and just carry on playing via Gold as they have been doing.

When kids aren't interested then you know they've fu.cked up.

Judging from the pre-orders both the Ps4 and the One are doing fine. once they keep on seeing on their Xbox Friends list people playing Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall, Battlefield and Fifa 14. I'm sure they'll add them on to their Christmas list.

Judging from the pre-orders both the Ps4 and the One are doing fine. once they keep on seeing on their Xbox Friends list people playing Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall, Battlefield and Fifa 14. I'm sure they'll add them on to their Christmas list.

Yeah, right. You think parents are going to shell out when they already have a console and dozens of games then you are sadly mistaken.

None of the kids in his football team or cricket team plan to get one or have asked for one, we (the parents) were discussing it today and yet some dads have pre-ordered PS4s. The general consensus is they like what they've got and don't want to lose all their games. My nipper is a techno geek and loves his Xbox but he's totally "meh" as are his mates. Parents aren't comfortable with kinnect "spying".

Kids want to play games online with their mates, that's the bottom line and FIFA 14 etc will be out well before One and they'll all have it on the day of release.

I'm a bit curious how would they lose all their games? does the current generation of console self destruct when you buy a new one?

But you're right, a version of Fifa 14 on the same engine as Fifa 13 will be out at the End of September / beginning on October for the PS3 and 360. Fifa 14 using the next generation Ignite Engine will only be out on ps4 and the One in November.

and really, what kids want to do isnt important to Microsoft or Sony. The average age of a gamer is in the mid 30's now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Since the consoles were first announced, I've had my eye on the PS4 first, largely based on the initial tech specs and at the time, Microsoft's insane intended policies. The latter is no longer a factor, but the XBox One is being had off in performance terms right now. Two major multi-platform games, Call of Duty : Ghosts and Battlefield 4 - which play at full HD on PS4, are being squirted out in 720p on the XBox One. That is simply not acceptable for a console marketed as leading edge in 2013. The 360 was pumping out that resolution in 2005.

I've read numerous reports online that state that Kinect is a big overhead, with a healthy percentage of resources devoted to that one feature all the time. Friends in the games industry tell me that Microsoft have been releasing new SDKs ( software development kits ) on an almost weekly basis. That tells me that Microsoft are trying to optimise the sh!t out of their middleware right now. That's actually a hopeful sign - XBox One may be able to offer consistent 1080p performance in the future - but until it does, I won't be touching it.

Since the consoles were first announced, I've had my eye on the PS4 first, largely based on the initial tech specs and at the time, Microsoft's insane intended policies. The latter is no longer a factor, but the XBox One is being had off in performance terms right now. Two major multi-platform games, Call of Duty : Ghosts and Battlefield 4 - which play at full HD on PS4, are being squirted out in 720p on the XBox One. That is simply not acceptable for a console marketed as leading edge in 2013. The 360 was pumping out that resolution in 2005.

I've read numerous reports online that state that Kinect is a big overhead, with a healthy percentage of resources devoted to that one feature all the time. Friends in the games industry tell me that Microsoft have been releasing new SDKs ( software development kits ) on an almost weekly basis. That tells me that Microsoft are trying to optimise the sh!t out of their middleware right now. That's actually a hopeful sign - XBox One may be able to offer consistent 1080p performance in the future - but until it does, I won't be touching it.

I get the impression that microsoft have gone all out to take on the home entertainment family package aswell as a leading games console, perhaps they feel the konnect can take on any future nintendo market share aswell ?

Either way Ive never much liked Microsofts business model (make the consumer pay for as much as possible) or have much interest in the Konnect

For me Sony are attempting to deliver the more powerful gaming machine again which in reality is what I am really interested in as there are already plenty of cheaper home ents packages on the market.

Games that are £55 to download on the Xbox One are £63 on PS4

Ive not really read too much up on the xbox this time round really. The PS3 really won me over, I got rid of my 360 as was fed up of having to pay for everything that generally came with the price of the PS3.

Id of said games prices are a reletive market, they will no doubt eventually meet a lot closer IMO

"I'd love to play Pac-Man at 1080p that would make Pac-Man sooooooo good."

I'd rather have the graphics of Spelunky and great gameplay, than the graphics of Ryse or knack with so-so gameplay.

Not the argument I'm making. Like for like, on two very popular games, the XBox One is chucking out a sub-HD resolution in 2013. The PS4 goes full HD.

Personal preference on style of video game is a whole other thread.