A thread of helpful things for expats

Maybe we should have a thread of things it's good for expats to know about?

I know most of us are pretty well integrated into our new home countries, but it's always nice to have good ways to stay in touch with your own culture.

TV

One of the obvious ways I've had for years is to have either an old sky box or a freesat box and a decent size dish, so that you can still get all of the free channels. You can pick up a box pretty cheaply on ebay and most European countries have shops that can sort something out for you too. if you want paying channels, you need to have a friend start a subscription for you.

Obviously this stuff only works if you're within the satellite footprint.

Iplayer/4od etc

These don't work outside the UK, but there are programmes you can install to hide where you are. I use expat shield, but it's quite an intrusive programme, so I make sure only to have it running while I'm watching something.

Radio

Up until recently I only used to get this through the digital TV described above. However I recently discovered a great app for the ipod or iphone called Tune-in pro, which allows you to receive any radio station in the world and set it as a favourite. I use it with my ipod touch, which I use with a dock and have perfect radio sound from any station.

Contact with family back in the UK

This used to cost a fortune, but obviously if you use Facetime or Skype, it's effectively free now. If you don't want an iphone, just get an ipod touch which is perfect for stuff like this.

Surely other expats can share a few tips or give alternatives and improvements to that list.

Don't assume we know who the hell (or even remotely care) the latest "celebs" out of any of the Reality Show or Newspaper gossip are.

I miss many things about UK, but sh!te TV and Tabloid Newspapers aren't on that list!!

PS - don't be surprised or overly disappointed if you don't receive a Xmas Card from Guided Missile ;)

Amen to that Eric! So what DO you miss? When I was in the Netherlands, I used to miss "English" food such as proper bacon, Marmite, lemon marmalade, crisps, etc... But here in Kenya they're all available. It's so much easier nowadays than when I first emigrated (to CH in 1996), with Skype, the interwebby-thing and so on, it's really no effort. Aside from family and a few friends (which I'm in daily contact through FB), I'm struggling to think what I'd change...

• 2 weeks later...

Australia is ****ing expensive and not the dream lifestyle they portray on the 'Getting Down Under' programme. You have to work your ******** off like anywhere else in the world and just see the daylight at weekends. Especially in Queensland where the sun seems to set about 4pm even in the middle of summer. It's up again at 3am though, so all good. Australian beer is awful, simply dreadful, so you will be buying imports and longing for a hand drawn ale very soon after arriving. Sausages - don't get me started. Otherwise, it's alright I suppose. the weathers decent and its a nice place to ride a bike or go for a swim. If you like the Premier league, bring plenty of Red Bull.

30 years in Sweden has given me a challenge to keep up with things, but I wasn't the only one missing " real football " when the old Dell was "down-sized " to an all-seater stadium and limited to 15K attendances, and the waiting list for season tickets was as along as a queue on the first day of the sales.

However, I did get to listen to some English League games -and Saints fairly often) on my old SW radio (in the early years), but nowadays I find that different " streams " to my computer solve the problem.

the most reliable is firstrowsports.eu Of course it's a battle to see the game through without interuptions for those annoying ads. for Russian and Thai " mail order brides " but better than nothing.

For those on Twitter we will have @ Andythesaint9 bringing our OS fans exclusive behind the scenes Matchday coverage, including player shout outs to our groups and fans watching the match from all over the world! The club needs him to get to 1000 followers before they tick it off though. Spread the word! Excellent opportunity for building our global supporter groups :)

Australia is ****ing expensive and not the dream lifestyle they portray on the 'Getting Down Under' programme. You have to work your ******** off like anywhere else in the world and just see the daylight at weekends. Especially in Queensland where the sun seems to set about 4pm even in the middle of summer. It's up again at 3am though, so all good. Australian beer is awful, simply dreadful, so you will be buying imports and longing for a hand drawn ale very soon after arriving. Sausages - don't get me started. Otherwise, it's alright I suppose. the weathers decent and its a nice place to ride a bike or go for a swim. If you like the Premier league, bring plenty of Red Bull.

And people wonder why we get the tag of whingeing poms!

• 4 months later...

For anybody who wants to watch iplayer or similar abroad, google "mediahint", it's made the whole thing really easy now, you just add it to your browser and never think about it again. It also allows you to access US Netflix, which is far better than netflix in any other country.

Good post

Currently the english channels are sending on a satalite that enables us to watch the beeb, itv, ch 4, etc on My old $ky Box. Which is fantastic. Although i read it will be moving to another Astra satalite soon and all will disapear. That'll be Big******!

OK UK tv is fastly going downhill, but you dont halv miss it.

MOTD gets slated but its good to have on a freezing cold sat evening in Gothenburg.

Love to watch the local news on BBC 1. Sitting in Sweden while hearing about some roadworks in Winchester or a car in Chandlers Ford. Sureal.

I get all radio channels through an APP called Tuneln Radio. Radio Two it is for the afternoons then. ****es My swedish work mates right off when they are constantly doing the travel. Very relevant!

BTW how good and how user friendly is this expat shield? Never got it working properly om my stuff.

For anybody who wants to watch iplayer or similar abroad, google "mediahint", it's made the whole thing really easy now, you just add it to your browser and never think about it again.

I'm using Hola add-on for Firefox and it works a treat at unblocking the once impenetrable iplayer geoblock. Very easy to use. (Am about to start HIG(a bit more)NFY right now.)

This comes as good timing because they recently closed thebox.bz for UK torrents which was a brilliant community of virtually everything on UK TV. Can still download MOTD but it takes three times as long.

Tune-In is a great smart phone app!

Good post

Currently the english channels are sending on a satalite that enables us to watch the beeb, itv, ch 4, etc on My old $ky Box. Which is fantastic. Although i read it will be moving to another Astra satalite soon and all will disapear. That'll be Big******!

OK UK tv is fastly going downhill, but you dont halv miss it.

MOTD gets slated but its good to have on a freezing cold sat evening in Gothenburg.

Love to watch the local news on BBC 1. Sitting in Sweden while hearing about some roadworks in Winchester or a car in Chandlers Ford. Sureal.

I get all radio channels through an APP called Tuneln Radio. Radio Two it is for the afternoons then. ****es My swedish work mates right off when they are constantly doing the travel. Very relevant!

BTW how good and how user friendly is this expat shield? Never got it working properly om my stuff.

don't use expat shield, go to mediahint.com and follow the simple instructions. You'll have quick and reliable access to iplayer etc within a couple of minutes.