X Rebirth - release date finally announced

Sheaf Saint

http://www.deepsilver.com/news/newsdetails/article/release-date-for-x-rebirth/

It's been in development for 7 years after they went back to the drawing board and started from scratch for this one (as opposed to just updating the same old game engine as they did for for X2 and X3). I loved all the previous versions and I have to say the trailer looks amazing. Given what little information Egosoft have released about the size and scope of this new one, then I should apologise to my mrs in advance cos she isn't going to be seeing much of me come November when this gets released.

Elite was the Godfather of this type of game, but the X games took it a stage further. I could never quite understand how to build the factory complexes, but I loved the combat and capturing ships when the pilot bailed out.

I didn't think the Terran Conflict game was as good as Reunion but then I didn't finish it.

Great games all round though

David Braben is supposed to be developing Elite 4 too

Elite was the Godfather of this type of game, but the X games took it a stage further. I could never quite understand how to build the factory complexes, but I loved the combat and capturing ships when the pilot bailed out.

I didn't think the Terran Conflict game was as good as Reunion but then I didn't finish it.

Great games all round though

David Braben is supposed to be developing Elite 4 too

Building factory complexes was tricky in X3, as it was difficult to pinpoint the exact location you wanted the ST carrier to drop the new station in relation to the existing one, and sometimes it would 'unpack' in contact with the existing one and they would end up destroying each other! But it was well worthwhile, especially if you had the Yacht of Pontifex Maximus add-on mission which enabled you to establish your own HQ where you could build your own ships based on blueprints from captured ships. With a factory complex attached you could manufacture all your own shields and weapons to equip your ships with, so it didn't matter if you were on friendly terms with the races that sold these items or not.

Yes, as you may have guessed.. I dedicated a lot of hours to playing this game (I was single at the time so it didn't matter!)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Believe me, this game is a real pile of cack.

Very poor graphics, dreadful voice acting and it looks like it was supposed to be for a console. No joystick support but it will work with an Xbox 360 controller.

It's as if Egosoft took everything that was great about the other X games and binned them in an effort to create mediocrity

Believe me, this game is a real pile of cack.

Very poor graphics, dreadful voice acting and it looks like it was supposed to be for a console. No joystick support but it will work with an Xbox 360 controller.

It's as if Egosoft took everything that was great about the other X games and binned them in an effort to create mediocrity

Got it running today after I upgraded my OS.

There have already been a couple of major update patches, one of which includes joystick support. Mine is working perfectly.

It's very different from the previous versions so getting the hang of navigation and trading will take a while due to the sheer scope of it.

I agree the graphics are a little disappointing, but if it means they have put more effort into the gameplay then ultimately that won't bother me. Could have done better though.

As for the voice acting - yes it's crap but it was just as terrible on all the previous ones (due to the translation from German, I assume) so I had no expectations there.

Looking forward to getting out and exploring the galaxy.