Rome II Total War

Clapham Saint

Very user friendly - No knowledge of the previous games required at all.

Unlike some franchises which seem to just release a slightly tweaked version of the the same game every year, the total war games (for me anyway) are a genuine step up each time.

The level of detail and atmosphere from the battles looks absolutely awesome.

There used to be a TV programme for kids and either their parents or history teacher or whoever. It was a bit cheese and crap in general but it used the total war battle engine. Anyway, after that I played medieval total war and it was good but just my old japanese laptop didn't like it and would crash on some of the levels.

I will definitely give this one a go.

There used to be a TV programme for kids and either their parents or history teacher or whoever. It was a bit cheese and crap in general but it used the total war battle engine. Anyway, after that I played medieval total war and it was good but just my old japanese laptop didn't like it and would crash on some of the levels.

I will definitely give this one a go.

Time Commanders!

That show was the reason I started playing Rome Total War :)

Love these games so much! Had it on preorder for ages as you get bonus factions for doing so ie Sparta! Think I'm looking forward to this more then any other game this year. Can't believe it has been almost 10 years since the first one came out....

Time Commanders!

That show was the reason I started playing Rome Total War :)

loved that show, although as I was very young when it was on I could never remember the name so imagine the disappointment when I sat down to watch my favourite show and got time team instead

• 4 months later...
So, is this any good? Really liked the original Rome but looking at Amazon the reviews are mixed. Could be a nice distraction for me over Christmas but have to admit the reviews have put me off a bit - especially as most of them mention the battle AI is pretty rubbish.

It's terrible and a scandal that they had the balls to even release it.

Even god knows how many patches down the line you still defend sieges what the AI's attacking army Gujarat stands there and let's you win on a time out despite overwhelming odds in their favour.

Family tree removed

Any meaningful political system removed

A huge disappointment. Save your money

It's terrible and a scandal that they had the balls to even release it.

Even god knows how many patches down the line you still defend sieges what the AI's attacking army Gujarat stands there and let's you win on a time out despite overwhelming odds in their favour.

Family tree removed

Any meaningful political system removed

A huge disappointment. Save your money

Oh well, thanks for saving me some money anyway. Shame - was looking forward to it if it was any good. Thanks for the reply.

yeah thought the Japanese one was much better and I normally hate Japanese stuff. In the end with all these games, there are just too many battles and it goes on forever. It's like an American HBO money spinner and just goes on too long.

Oh yes, and even the most epic of battles (full armies both sides) take no more than 5 minutes to play out absolute maximum.

All troops just end up as one blob in the middle of the battlefield making tactics (which used to be vital), virtually redundant.

Given the one of the Roman Army's key strengths was discipline and holding formation testudos (sp?) etc this is even more shocking for a Roman war game.

I can't express my disappointment in this game strongly enough and it is a step backward on previous games in almost every aspect.

(P.S. I really wanted to like this game too. Oh well)