BT I-Plate

thesaint sfc

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

IIRC, about 60 percent saw a rise in downstream rates; but it was subject to various factors. If you're getting 1 Meg, then you're either 45 miles from the node or you have got a maximum contention rate. Either way, you're f*cked.

IIRC, about 60 percent saw a rise in downstream rates; but it was subject to various factors. If you're getting 1 Meg, then you're either 45 miles from the node or you have got a maximum contention rate. Either way, you're f*cked.

We are a couple of villages away and we're still on copper wire. We're well f**ked tbh.

We brought one to play with at work. Problem is they run by disabling the bell wire, which isnt installed in houses these days.

Most houses now have basically 2 wires coming in, so in theory the iplate will be disabling nothing.

They will not work if you have a SSFP which separates the broadband and telephone signals, the socket is a newly installed BT Openreach socket or where the line is newly installed, without the ringer wire included

So a big no no for me in the 4 places I have looked to install one.

To be honest if you do have a bell ringer wire and you are confident of which one it is then disconnect it yourself and save a tenner! But be careful you dont screw your socket as the bt bill will be hefty

We brought one to play with at work. Problem is they run by disabling the bell wire, which isnt installed in houses these days.

Most houses now have basically 2 wires coming in, so in theory the iplate will be disabling nothing.

They will not work if you have a SSFP which separates the broadband and telephone signals, the socket is a newly installed BT Openreach socket or where the line is newly installed, without the ringer wire included

So a big no no for me in the 4 places I have looked to install one.

To be honest if you do have a bell ringer wire and you are confident of which one it is then disconnect it yourself and save a tenner! But be careful you dont screw your socket as the bt bill will be hefty

The bell wire is in the internal wiring, usually orange with a white band connected to terminal 3.It can act as an antenna by picking up interference from domestic electrical equiptment- the more extensions you have ,the more likely the problem.

Seems to struggle detecting the higher speeds. When we get customers on 1mb - 4mb connections we tend to find it to be very accurate. Any higher than that and its a total gamble as to what it comes up with.

There was a story about this a couple of months ago, probably on the BBC. I'll have a look for it.

Yes, they struggle with the higher speeds that exist nowadays.

Edit: Here you are, it seems the packet sizes are too small when measuring higher speeds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7669713.stm

Edited by Scummer