iPod Touch - Any good?

red&white4life

Anyone got any opinions?

Am considering "asking" for one for Christmas so any feed back greatly appreciated. I already have 2 Archos', AV700 and the 640, but the touch is considerably smaller.

Cheers in advance,

Col.

I'm sure Assuru will be on soon singing the praise's of "rotten to the Apple core" device, but look at Creatives gear as well, unless its just the style you like. ;)

I'm sure Assuru will be on soon singing the praise's of "rotten to the Apple core" device, but look at Creatives gear as well, unless its just the style you like. ;)

I bought a Creative Zen 8GB a year back and it was bloody hideous. Sent it back to Amazon and swapped it for an Ipod Nano 8GB - 100% better. No one will ever make a better MP3 player than apple IMO.

Lol. I am sure Ess will be unable to resist.

I do like the look and size of the touch which is why i am considering it, i just wondered if anyone had any experience of using one, and yes the 30GB is very pricey but as i wont be paying for it it's not an issue ;o)

Col.

There is, quite simply, not a better, easier to use, more intuitive and more fun music player than the iPod Touch (or iPhone). Don't forget, you won't just be getting the best music player around, you'll be getting the wifi, the best mobile Web Browser, all of the other built in Apps and access to other games and apps from the App Store.

Don't even consider any other music player.

There is, quite simply, not a better, easier to use, more intuitive and more fun music player than the iPod Touch (or iPhone). Don't forget, you won't just be getting the best music player around, you'll be getting the wifi, the best mobile Web Browser, all of the other built in Apps and access to other games and apps from the App Store.

Don't even consider any other music player.

Cheers Ess.

It's less for music and more for the video and web browsing. One of my Archos' does all this but not very well, and it is a bit of a lump. Where as the Touch is very much more pocket size and a damn sight easier on the eye.

Have you actualy any experience of using one though Ess, as i would like some feed back from someone who has been using one for a while.

Thanks,

Col.

I bought one last week at the airport so got a 16GB one for about £30 quid less than normal retail. If you just want music then you are better off with the 120GB Ipod classic - just over £1 per GB whereas the touch is more like £11 per GB but as Essruu says you get a whole lot more with the touch. Wifi is very good - connects very quickly and is very stable. The accelerometer works very well - that's the bit that allows you to turn the touch 90 degrees and the screen image moves with it. The image quality is pretty good for video - you probably wouldn't want to watch for too long as its a bit of a strain after a while but its no different to any other portable media player. The app store is great - there are tons of free apps as well as stuff you can buy. I have a couple of the free ones - Remote allows you to control itunes on your pc from the touch via a wireless network - pretty cool. I also use a translator as I travel a lot - useful here in China where I am writing this. So far I can find no fault with it and I have resisted Apple products before. I always saw them as design over function, and a some of their stuff still is that way. All in all - if you can afford it get one. I have read reviews on the Archos players and it seems that there is a big issue with support on them - no such issue with the iPod touch.

If you can find one in stock anywhere, Argos are flogging off first gen Touches cheap. £148 for the 16 gig, £20 less for 8 gig. Bought one at the weekend.

As far as I can tell, there's not enough difference between 1st and 2nd gen to stop this being a bargain.

Unfortunately the thread about which apps are good seems to have disappeared. What do people recommend?

If you can find one in stock anywhere, Argos are flogging off first gen Touches cheap. £148 for the 16 gig, £20 less for 8 gig. Bought one at the weekend.

As far as I can tell, there's not enough difference between 1st and 2nd gen to stop this being a bargain.

Unfortunately the thread about which apps are good seems to have disappeared. What do people recommend?

Well my Christmas present turned up yesterday ( i had to sign for it) so i thought i had better make sure it works before letting the wife wrap it for me ;o)

While i have my grubby hands on it i was wondering along the same lines as "Scummer", what apps do people recommend and are there any other sites besides iTunes where you can get apps/movies/music etc?

Cheers,

Col.

Well my Christmas present turned up yesterday ( i had to sign for it) so i thought i had better make sure it works before letting the wife wrap it for me ;o)

While i have my grubby hands on it i was wondering along the same lines as "Scummer", what apps do people recommend and are there any other sites besides iTunes where you can get apps/movies/music etc?

Cheers,

Col.

The 2nd gen is not jailbroken yet but it will be at some point. type in ipmart to google to find cracked apps games etc for the first gen.

depends where you use it. If you are at home then no charge - if you are at an internet cafe then its no different than using a laptop. If you are at starbucks then its also free.

ipod touch has no voice or mobile data built in so you can only use wifi. If you have an iphone then you can use mobile data but you will be charged according to your contract with your service provider

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

Col.

Apps will be from the iTunes store only, unless you jailbreak the device.

You can load your own music and films (through the iTunes application, not the store). Music should be mp3 or AAC (Apple's own) format. It might do other formats but don't think it does WMA. Video is a bit more complex than that as the device has some specific requirements around screen size, framerate etc, so you can't just load any old divx file on it.

Apps will be from the iTunes store only, unless you jailbreak the device.

You can load your own music and films (through the iTunes application, not the store). Music should be mp3 or AAC (Apple's own) format. It might do other formats but don't think it does WMA. Video is a bit more complex than that as the device has some specific requirements around screen size, framerate etc, so you can't just load any old divx file on it.

Cheers for that.

I have have had no problems with music and i found a programme called "Cucosoft DVD to iPod Touch converter" which cost me £20 but rips DVD's in about 30 mins, i would recommend this programme.

What i am really after is what Apps other people have found usefull.

I have downloaded some (Facebook for example) but i am interested in what others have found to be usefull.

Thanks again,

Col.

Depends what you want to do with it. I have these that I use a lot:

Fring - Live Messenger/AIM/Skype client

Evernote - Note system that syncs with Windows

Touchterm - ssh client

iBlueSky - Mind Mapping tool

last.fm - streamed music

ShoppingList - hmmm I wonder....

Remote - control your pc/mac itunes via the ipod touch. Pretty cool for parties etc

Google Earth

and a few games - Labyrinth, Darts, Crash Bandicoot, Sudoku

Also a few apps I use when travelling - just back from China and used an app called Beijing Taxi Guide. Basically a whole host of attractions, restaurants etc that you can use to show the taxi drivers where you want to go.

Depends what you want to do with it. I have these that I use a lot:

Fring - Live Messenger/AIM/Skype client

Evernote - Note system that syncs with Windows

Touchterm - ssh client

iBlueSky - Mind Mapping tool

last.fm - streamed music

ShoppingList - hmmm I wonder....

Remote - control your pc/mac itunes via the ipod touch. Pretty cool for parties etc

Google Earth

and a few games - Labyrinth, Darts, Crash Bandicoot, Sudoku

Also a few apps I use when travelling - just back from China and used an app called Beijing Taxi Guide. Basically a whole host of attractions, restaurants etc that you can use to show the taxi drivers where you want to go.

Thanks for that.

I will have a look at some of them.

Col.