Funeral

Scudamore

I think the law states you can have paid leave for bereavement but only for immediate family members.

I think your boss has been quite generous to give you holiday pay, as I suppose they could have left it as an unpaid leave day.

Now, if you had been less honest and said you were sick for the day, you would probably have been paid and still had the holiday pay left!!!

Are you salaried, or hourly paid btw?

I'm salaried. But it's a small company. And since i have f::ck all in the way of sickies and work my cobs off for them and only get 3 weeks a year where i choose my own time off it seems a little harsh to me. A bit of discretion would have been appreciated...

But there you go. That is why i am presently seeking employment...

I'm salaried. But it's a small company. And since i have f::ck all in the way of sickies and work my cobs off for them and only get 3 weeks a year where i choose my own time off it seems a little harsh to me. A bit of discretion would have been appreciated...

But there you go. That is why i am presently seeking employment...

I would take them to task on the 3 weeks holidays per year too.

I believe the law has been changed recently but not sure of the exact entitlement now....

working days presumably, which would be 4 weeks and 1 day???

Sorry, 20 days:-

A full-time employee is entitled to four weeks paid holiday each year. This can be inclusive or exclusive of national holidays (detailed later) and days when the business traditionally shuts down (i.e. the Christmas period).

For example, if an employee is contracted to work 5 days a week, the employee is entitled to:

5 days x 4 weeks = 20 days holiday per year

working days presumably, which would be 4 weeks and 1 day???

He said 3 weeks where he chooses his time off. I took that to mean his company shut down over Christmas or something. That counts towards your legal entitlement to time off.

A full-time employee is entitled to four weeks paid holiday each year. This can be inclusive or exclusive of national holidays (detailed later) and days when the business traditionally shuts down (i.e. the Christmas period).

For example, if an employee is contracted to work 5 days a week, the employee is entitled to:

Yeah there's an enforced Christmas shutdown for a week which is fair enough...

So four weeks in total. Which ties in with the above...

So what happens to shift workers Jill? Mr TF works 4 days on / 4 days off / 4 nights on / 4 days off i.e. 8 days out of 16. However, this obviously includes weekend working and he has to work Bank Holidays if they fall within his shift. The only BHs he gets off as a 'right' are Christmas, Boxing and New Year's Day as the labs shut down for the whole Christmas period.

So what happens to shift workers Jill? Mr TF works 4 days on / 4 days off / 4 nights on / 4 days off i.e. 8 days out of 16. However, this obviously includes weekend working and he has to work Bank Holidays if they fall within his shift. The only BHs he gets off as a 'right' are Christmas, Boxing and New Year's Day as the labs shut down for the whole Christmas period.

He is lucky.

None of my staff are 'entitled' to bank holidays off [we're even open on Xmas day!!!].

No idea I am afraid.

I'm a shop steward and the company that employs me gives a maximum of 3 days compassionate leave, which applies only to immediate family members (For other people outside the immediate family it is at the managements discretion.) whilst this is MY employers policy my understanding is that it's pretty standard practice.

But you still give your staff their 20 days (or pro rata), I hope, as you are obliged to by law?

Let's just say they are entitled to them, and it is their job to track how many they have left, and to apply for them.....

The ones that don't track how many they have accrued and how many they have left at the end of the year [anniversary of join date] lose them....

Most bosses that I have worked for allow funerals as Compassionate Leave (providing that you don`t take the **** and go to one every week!) and most of the time don`t even ask who the funeral is for.

Tbf it should be compassionate for family only or people could take the mick, going to the funeral of your best friends boyfriends sisters brothers girlfriends dads uncle etc.

Let's just say they are entitled to them, and it is their job to track how many they have left, and to apply for them.....

The ones that don't track how many they have accrued and how many they have left at the end of the year [anniversary of join date] lose them....

That's how it is in most work places. If you don't keep track of your holiday entitlement then you lose anydays unused when the new year starts. Thats why everyone in my office is away using up days in the last week of March.

Tbf it should be compassionate for family only or people could take the mick, going to the funeral of your best friends boyfriends sisters brothers girlfriends dads uncle etc.

Three years ago a very good friend of mine collapsed and died in front of me. He was quite healthy and it came out of the blue. I was quite traumatised for some weeks afterwards. When I went to his funeral it was definitely Compassionate Leave. I think that each case should be judged on its merits and not whether you are related.

Three years ago a very good friend of mine collapsed and died in front of me. He was quite healthy and it came out of the blue. I was quite traumatised for some weeks afterwards. When I went to his funeral it was definitely Compassionate Leave. I think that each case should be judged on its merits and not whether you are related.

My best male friend hung himself back in 2006 and I had to take it as unpaid leave, but I do work for a very very tight stingey company. I agree with you though I guess it should be case dependant.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

ACAS statement of the law on paid holiday.

The legal minimum

Under the Working Time Regulations 1998 (as amended), workers (including part timers and most agency and freelance workers) have the right to:

• 4.8 weeks' paid leave each year (from 1 October 2007)

• payment for untaken statutory leave entitlement on termination of employment.

Statutory annual leave entitlement will increase from 4.8 weeks to 5.6 weeks (capped at 28 days) on 1 April 2009. Many workers already get contractual leave which is more than 28 days. Their holiday entitlement will not change as a result of the amendments to the Working Time Regulations.

This figure includes statutory and bank holidays.

Quite. A few numpties go and take the p:ss unfortunately and ruin it for the rest...

I'd like to point out that it's the first funeral i've been to in three years of employment so i couldn't possibly be considered to be trying to take them for a ride...

Not a problem...they shall reap what they sow as i'm a pretty valuable member of staff and it's the little things like this that push your members of staff over the edge...and if they can't see that then fudge em!

ACAS statement of the law on paid holiday.

The legal minimum

Under the Working Time Regulations 1998 (as amended), workers (including part timers and most agency and freelance workers) have the right to:

• 4.8 weeks' paid leave each year (from 1 October 2007)

• payment for untaken statutory leave entitlement on termination of employment.

Statutory annual leave entitlement will increase from 4.8 weeks to 5.6 weeks (capped at 28 days) on 1 April 2009. Many workers already get contractual leave which is more than 28 days. Their holiday entitlement will not change as a result of the amendments to the Working Time Regulations.

This figure includes statutory and bank holidays.

So that's currently 18 days (if you include bank holidays) and will rise to 22 days in April then?

What about part time workers? My sister works 3 days a week and always has Monday off. As many bank holidays fall on a Monday is she entitled to anything? This is a bit of a grey area wherever I've been.

On topic, I'd say compassionate leave for family members is probably fair enough - good on any employers who look at things on an individual case by case basis but I can see why many don't.

So that's currently 18 days (if you include bank holidays) and will rise to 22 days in April then?

What about part time workers? My sister works 3 days a week and always has Monday off. As many bank holidays fall on a Monday is she entitled to anything? This is a bit of a grey area wherever I've been.

On topic, I'd say compassionate leave for family members is probably fair enough - good on any employers who look at things on an individual case by case basis but I can see why many don't.

Thats where it gets complicated. There is a calculation to work it out but I cant remember it as it is a few years since I had to work it out.

My employers do compassionate leave on case by case basis, but as with most others the guidelines are immediate and close relatives only, although consideration is given to other circumstances.

Thats where it gets complicated. There is a calculation to work it out but I cant remember it as it is a few years since I had to work it out.

My employers do compassionate leave on case by case basis, but as with most others the guidelines are immediate and close relatives only, although consideration is given to other circumstances.

Yes, she's chased it up and apparently there's no legal precedent to say she is entitled to it (she's in the legal area so should know what she's talking about) it's pretty much at the discretion of the firm and so far the only legal precedents have been where discrimination can be proved. If you can't prove any discrimination then it's hard to challenge. Job share issues muddy the water even further - what happens if you work Mondays and therefore get a disproportionate amount of bank holidays compared to your colleague who doesn't? Do they get their annual leave docked accordingly to improve yours?

In the end her HR department just gave her some extra leave to shut her up.

Not sure whether ours is a/the legal requirement, but for my part timers it's 1/5th of their contracted weekly hours.

Part-time and agency workers

If you're a part-time worker, you're still entitled to 4.8 weeks holiday – 4.8 of your normal working weeks. For example, if you work two days a week you have the right to a minimum of 9.6 days' holiday (that is, 4.8 two-day weeks).

A part time worker should be treated no less favourably than an equivalent full-timer. This means that an employer who gives extra days off to full timers may have to give extra time off to part time workers as well.

If you're an agency worker, your agency must allow you to take your paid holidays.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034642

Part-time and agency workers

If you're a part-time worker, you're still entitled to 4.8 weeks holiday – 4.8 of your normal working weeks. For example, if you work two days a week you have the right to a minimum of 9.6 days' holiday (that is, 4.8 two-day weeks).

A part time worker should be treated no less favourably than an equivalent full-timer. This means that an employer who gives extra days off to full timers may have to give extra time off to part time workers as well.

If you're an agency worker, your agency must allow you to take your paid holidays.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034642

This is what I so love about this forum. Got a problem? Post it on here - there's bound to be someone who knows the answer.

Who needs lawyers, eh? :D Keep up the good work, guys and gals.

This is what I so love about this forum. Got a problem? Post it on here - there's bound to be someone who knows the answer.

Who needs lawyers, eh? :D Keep up the good work, guys and gals.

The irony is that my sister is a lawyer (well, solicitor but you get the idea) and the issue of bank holidays is still undecided. She's pretty good at her job but still can't prove whether as a part time worker she's actually entitled to time off if a bank holiday falls on a day she'd normally be off. There really isn't any legal precedent yet.

The irony is that my sister is a lawyer (well, solicitor but you get the idea) and the issue of bank holidays is still undecided. She's pretty good at her job but still can't prove whether as a part time worker she's actually entitled to time off if a bank holiday falls on a day she'd normally be off. There really isn't any legal precedent yet.

My daughter-in-law worked part-time for a while for the NHS after my grandson was born. She worked Tues, Weds, Thurs. I'm 99.9% sure that, as bank holidays tended to fall on her 'off' days, she didn't get time off in lieu.

There's something to be said for annualised hours maybe?

Mrs hamster works in NHS long time, gets FORTY THREE days leave!

It does sometimes pee me off, as I work much harder than her, but she has been there since forever and they have some old fashioned rulebook. I think they refer to it as the 'Whitley Council Rulebook' (or similar). It 'entitled' them to a set amount of paid 'sick' days. Somewhere along the line, they got included in their leave entitlement!

Her previous unit manager used to give the staff christmas shopping days on the QT. Needless to say, they are all bloody women in there.

I did once get compassionate leave for my dog dying, which was a nice touch.

PS

Some bosses are a-holes with power and control issues, the good ones are diamonds.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Her previous unit manager used to give the staff christmas shopping days on the QT. Needless to say, they are all bloody women in there.

I once worked with a group of nine women and I was the only bloke. Everyone was allowed to take time off for Christmas shopping. If anyone really senior asked, they were visiting clients that day. Obviously we didn't let everyone off on the same day.

It was amazing, though, what little things like that did for morale and team spirit.

Mrs hamster works in NHS long time, gets FORTY THREE days leave!

It does sometimes pee me off, as I work much harder than her, but she has been there since forever and they have some old fashioned rulebook. I think they refer to it as the 'Whitley Council Rulebook' (or similar). It 'entitled' them to a set amount of paid 'sick' days. Somewhere along the line, they got included in their leave entitlement!

I did once get compassionate leave for my dog dying, which was a nice touch.

PS

Some bosses are a-holes with power and control issues, the good ones are diamonds.

I worked for donkey's years in the NHS but I don't ever recall having 'sick' days incorporated into annual leave. However, once upon a time, hospitals used to give staff 'hospital' days (2 per year). The dates of these used to vary from one hospital to another and these were eventually incorporated into annual leave.

My understanding is that the maximum leave in the NHS is 37 days + Bank Holidays. If this has changed, I want to know as my leave now is supposed to match NHS leave!

I worked for donkey's years in the NHS but I don't ever recall having 'sick' days incorporated into annual leave. However, once upon a time, hospitals used to give staff 'hospital' days (2 per year). The dates of these used to vary from one hospital to another and these were eventually incorporated into annual leave.

My understanding is that the maximum leave in the NHS is 37 days + Bank Holidays. If this has changed, I want to know as my leave now is supposed to match NHS leave!

Not sure what the maximum is but when I was there I got 34 days (I think) including bank holidays which would work out at 28 days.

Not sure what the maximum is but when I was there I got 34 days (I think) including bank holidays which would work out at 28 days.

It used to be that you got more days after 5 and then 10 years' service.

But I left the NHS about 4 years ago, so things may well have changed since then, especially now we have Foundation Trusts :rolleyes:

It used to be that you got more days after 5 and then 10 years' service.

But I left the NHS about 4 years ago, so things may well have changed since then, especially now we have Foundation Trusts :rolleyes:

Think you're right though personally a year was enough for me - I'm not sure I'd have survived five or ten years. Many of the people I worked with had a lot more holiday than me. Googling 'Agenda for Change' should give you an idea what holiday entitlement is like though.

How much A/L do you allow yourself ****o?

Well, I'm currently single, so I don't have any peer pressure to take 2/3 weeks off in the summer.

I tend to please myself & take occassional days off when I feel like it.

I also play it by ear depending on how well the current month has gone.

Last year, I had a total of 37 days off (this includes weekends!!)

So, I work lots of hours