Suggestion...

Weston Super Saint

Any chance the suggestions in the suggestion forum can be answered, or should we just lock the suggestion forum?

Don't worry, apparently they're considering my suggestion (http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=105648&postcount=47), and if it goes ahead there will be no need for this forum anymore as we'll all be able to make whatever changes we want, whenever we want.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mean to hijack the thread but seeing as I am only a lowly registered user I feel I have no other choice. I would like to suggest that people can register as members with google/hotmail accounts. My friend wanted to register and was unable to because it said he could only register with a isp or work address. I haveno idea what isp is and i'm sure he doesn't either. He contacted the administrator to ask if it was ok for him to reigster with his hotmail account, therefore showing that he did actually want to register and was not a spammer or whatever. But the administrator said no.

This seems quite silly really, you are allowed to register on very popular websites such facebook or youtube with a goodle/hotmail account, where spamming and advertising is much more of a problem.

I'm registered with a googlemail account, and i'm sure plenty of other members are so I see no reason for the rule, and would be grateful if you could get rid of this rule or at least allow my friend to register.

I look forward to hearing your response...

matt, the reason for blocking free email accounts has nothing to do with spam, its to stop banned users from reregistering and continuing to take the ****. The blocking of free email accounts has all but eliminated this activity and as such is not something we are going to change out mind on.

An "isp" email account refers to any email account you get for free from your internet service provider, for example Tiscali, which ironically was the isp of the connection your friend contacting us on.

Could you not vet them more on other info rather than just a blanket ban on free e-mail accounts? Seems a shame to tar all with the same brush IMO, and lose out on an income stream. Not everyone takes up they're ISP ones, I know I don't. It's a pain in the arse when you change ISP.

Incidentally, I have more than one account registered using free e-mail ac****s.

Could you not vet them more on other info rather than just a blanket ban on free e-mail accounts? Seems a shame to tar all with the same brush IMO, and lose out on an income stream. Not everyone takes up they're ISP ones, I know I don't. It's a pain in the arse when you change ISP.

Incidentally, I have more than one account registered using free e-mail ac****s.

I dont doubt that there are many registered with free email accounts we havent identified.

And no, we arent prepared to spend a great deal of time manually checking the credentials of everyone that registers from a free email account.

I dont doubt that there are many registered with free email accounts we havent identified.

And no, we arent prepared to spend a great deal of time manually checking the credentials of everyone that registers from a free email account.

Does this mean that you are actively 'hunting them down'? Might I suggest that you wait until someone like myself oversteps the mark, or am I way off mark with my estimation of the amount of idiots who have made life on here so unbearable, that you have made this decision?

Seriously, what is the point in having a suggestion forum when everything that is suggested is turned down.

Just to name a few reasons why someone wouldn't have isp:

- people who do not have internet in their own home. For example they may use the library, internet cafe etc.

- living with family, surely only one person can has this isp you speak of

- those such as me who had no idea what it was untill I was told on here

- people who co-habit (which as we all know is on the up) only one person would have the isp

- Those who do not own the internet connection they are using. For example in student accomodation

and as for work address:

- those that are unemployed/retired

- students/children

- the majority of employed workers would not have a work address, from the likes of McDonalds employees to football players

As Saint Stevo sugested it should be done by checking people's ip addresses. I am sure there are many people who have already given up trying to register on this forum who have failed this special request.

Sorry guys but this simply isnt going to happen.

Checking the IP address is not a valid method, since the majority of people either share IP's over time (such as AOL proxies) or are on dynamic IP addresses (so just disconnect and reconnect their router). Checking IP address is NOT a option to stop people like that.

We are not making this up as we go along, remember, we've been running this forum at in various guises and at various levels for nearly 6 years. The implementation of no free email addresses has been very successful in combating these problems.

- people who do not have internet in their own home. For example they may use the library, internet cafe etc.

This is the ONLY valid reason because...

- living with family, surely only one person can has this isp you speak of

No, all ISP's offer more than one email address for exactly this reason.

- those such as me who had no idea what it was untill I was told on here

I would think the vast majority of people would know what "With your Home ISP or work email address" would mean.

- people who co-habit (which as we all know is on the up) only one person would have the isp

Again, all ISP's offer more than one email address for exactly this reason.

- Those who do not own the internet connection they are using. For example in student accomodation

We accept school, college, university email addresses.

[ignore]

Any chance the arcade could get some McLovin also, otherwise what is the point

[/ignore] ;) .

Oh no, I was wrong, it isn't being ignored

it will be dealt with in turn. We've said many times "when we get around to it".

Great news for those that paid their £5 and became 'customers'.

What excellent customer service :rolleyes:

Edited by Weston Super Saint

I just deleted quite a long response to this nonsense, but thought better of it. I am now glad that I did not post what I had written, honestly I am.

One final question though. My registered e-mail address for this particular account ends @msn.com why am I still able to use it?

I just deleted quite a long response to this nonsense, but thought better of it. I am now glad that I did not post what I had written, honestly I am.

One final question though. My registered e-mail address for this particular account ends @msn.com why am I still able to use it?

Because you registered prior to them making the decision?

Probably because you registered before we brought the rule in place

Probably because you registered before we brought the rule in place

Hamster must be the exception to the 'everyone with a free email account that registers on TSF / TSW must be a spamming monger that has previously been banned from the boards' rule......

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I havn't paid to join.

If you charge a fee for something you really should gice a little respect to those who have paid, improve your interpersonal skills, start treating people like the customers they are, and seriously consider all requests they make(which isn't happening).

For a fee paying service the attitude "when we get round to it" isn't good enough.

Every consideration is given thought. The majority of issues raised have either been raised previously or have been discussed within the admin team already, hence we are in a position to give a yes/no quickly.

Since mine and grantys time isnt paid for, we prioritise what free time we have to spend working on the forum. Issues such as "more games" come FAR below issues such as database configuration and regular backup management.

Every consideration is given thought. The majority of issues raised have either been raised previously or have been discussed within the admin team already, hence we are in a position to give a yes/no quickly.

Since mine and grantys time isnt paid for, we prioritise what free time we have to spend working on the forum. Issues such as "more games" come FAR below issues such as database configuration and regular backup management.

Which begs the question, why add extra forums in the first place, knowing that it (the arcade) would need regular updating?

Baj,

You may not want to reply to this but how much bandwidth is this forum consuming each month ?.

Also with us being such an appaling team and posts here drying up do you still intend that only those who have paid £5 can start new threads ?.

Thanks.

can't have a mod to look after the game since they would require direct access to the server.

Yeah, I mean I've no problem with just putting **** loads of games on, if someone can find a downloadable list of games that work with ibProArcade v2, not just a website listing them,.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll hijack this thread as I can't post a new one.

What effect do the new advertisements have on the subscription fee for this forum ?. If enough revenue is generated will the subscription fee be removed ?

But then everyone would see the adverts? As paid up members, we don't get to see them.

Although from the brief glimpse I got earlier, they weren't that obtrusive. I could put up with them if I choose not to renew my subscription this year.

I'll hijack this thread as I can't post a new one.

What effect do the new advertisements have on the subscription fee for this forum ?. If enough revenue is generated will the subscription fee be removed ?

The subscription fee would stay.

The subscription fee would stay.

Can I ask what will happen with the potential extra income if it surpases that which is required to host the forum, maintain the domain name and maintain the vBulletin subscription ?.

Also is the 'Blaze' forum style now gone for good ?.

Can I ask what will happen with the potential extra income if it surpases that which is required to host the forum, maintain the domain name and maintain the vBulletin subscription ?.

Also is the 'Blaze' forum style now gone for good ?.

The subscriptions would remain since advertising is not a guarenteed source of income, which was the whole idea of subscriptions in thr first place, to guarentee that no matter what happens, the forum is funded. If the advertising had to be pulled for whatever reason, the forum would be ****ed.

Blaze is gone for good, yes.

• 4 weeks later...
I am in the process of changing my email address for work-related reasons, therefore making my current email address redundant and soon to be deleted. As I cannot change it on this site what can I do? Leave?

You should be able to change it in your user control panel. However, you won't be able to change it to an address that is banned, e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, etc. Another work e-mail should be fine.

You should be able to change it in your user control panel. However, you won't be able to change it to an address that is banned, e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, etc. Another work e-mail should be fine.

That's ridiculous! 99% of people have email addresses with those providers. I'm not changing my email address again and certainly not for this!

That's ridiculous! 99% of people have email addresses with those providers.

The very simple reason for that policy is because anyone can register as many Hotmail email addresses as they like, which means there's no "incentive" to follow the simple and reasonable rules that are put in place to ensure everyone's enjoyment of the forum as they could quite happily just get themselves banned and then re-register again straight away. It would also get around the 3-post limit for unpaid users. Given that the paid subscriptions is the way we have chosen to ensure the forum is self-sufficient, it really wasn't a difficult decision to make.

Also, the vast majority of people have access to a work, uni/college or ISP e-mail address, so it's really not that much of a restriction, to be honest.

The very simple reason for that policy is because anyone can register as many Hotmail email addresses as they like, which means there's no "incentive" to follow the simple and reasonable rules that are put in place to ensure everyone's enjoyment of the forum as they could quite happily just get themselves banned and then re-register again straight away. It would also get around the 3-post limit for unpaid users. Given that the paid subscriptions is the way we have chosen to ensure the forum is self-sufficient, it really wasn't a difficult decision to make.

Also, the vast majority of people have access to a work, uni/college or ISP e-mail address, so it's really not that much of a restriction, to be honest.

Well I don't, I have already changed my email, and I'm not going to subscribe, so what can I do? Is this forum not open to all anymore?