Don't renew their UK Football contracts then

Saint in Paradise

I am sick sorry and tired of these ridiculous people trying to defend the indefensible.

Seeing as they hate the UK so much perhaps they better F.O. and stop getting money

from the UK.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27383488

argentina's players posed behind a banner supporting their country's claims to the Falkland Islands

before a World Cup warm-up in buenos aries.

They don't deserve capital letters and if that is insulting then tough f**king luck.

I thought that political statements were banned by FIFA, remember the outcry when we wanted to play with poppies on our shirts ??

Surely FIFA will take strong action to uphold their solid principles ??

(ps. don't hold your breath !)

So they're not allowed to voice their own opinion, when in their own country? And why can't they disagree about the Falklands? Does every person living in Britain need to agree with everything Britain has ever done and every bit of foreign policy? Or does that just apply to the foreigners? You make it sound like you would want Britain to be a totalitarian state, yet you choose not to live here so, in my opinion, don't get to make that decision. Id be interested to hear your opinion about all those people who marched against the Iraq War. Do they fall into the same category as these footballers? Or is "defending the indefensible" rather reliant in your definition of "indefensible"?

Politics should not be brought into sport.

It is completely unacceptable that this happened. FIFA should, but won't, denounce the picture and punish the argies for it. (I agree, they do not deserve the use of a capital letter.) I am certain that something would soon happen if the England players were all standing a banner saying, 'F*ck off argentina; the Falklands are ours. Our 255 didn't die for nothing. Yes, we know more of yours died, but you were the aggressors back in '82'.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit tetchy on the subject; but then I was involved in the 'conflict'.

However, maybe I will change my avatar now the argie conyo has gone to Spurs.

So they're not allowed to voice their own opinion, when in their own country? And why can't they disagree about the Falklands? Does every person living in Britain need to agree with everything Britain has ever done and every bit of foreign policy? Or does that just apply to the foreigners? You make it sound like you would want Britain to be a totalitarian state, yet you choose not to live here so, in my opinion, don't get to make that decision. Id be interested to hear your opinion about all those people who marched against the Iraq War. Do they fall into the same category as these footballers? Or is "defending the indefensible" rather reliant in your definition of "indefensible"?

They can voice what ever opinion they want; but a national team should not be pictured in front of a political banner prior to representing their country at a sporting event.

They can voice what ever opinion they want; but a national team should not be pictured in front of a political banner prior to representing their country at a sporting event.

I may agree with you on that point, but that is not really what the OP is saying. He's saying that the footballers views are indefensible (not the holding of a banner at a football game) and that as a result they should have the contracts stopped and be removed from the country. That is the point i take exception to because taken to its extremes it means that everyone n the country has to agree with everything Britain has ever done, whether it be the Falklands or anything else. People are entitled to their view and they are entitled to express that view, though i agree, international footballers doing it before an international tournament is probably not the right time.

Politics should not be brought into sport.

It is completely unacceptable that this happened. FIFA should, but won't, denounce the picture and punish the argies for it. (I agree, they do not deserve the use of a capital letter.) I am certain that something would soon happen if the England players were all standing a banner saying, 'F*ck off argentina; the Falklands are ours. Our 255 didn't die for nothing. Yes, we know more of yours died, but you were the aggressors back in '82'.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit tetchy on the subject; but then I was involved in the 'conflict'.

However, maybe I will change my avatar now the argie conyo has gone to Spurs.

Well put

It's quite simply a clear breach of FIFA rules so there will be a massive fine to follow.

Possibly even bigger than the crippling 3000 Euros that clubs and countries tend to get docked every time their fans are racist.

Unless of course FIFA is riddled with corruption and inefficiency and has no interest in upholding its own agendas, then they might just shrug their shoulders, cosy up to the politicians, and concentrate on making sure that 75% of the refs are way out of their depth in the World Cup.

But that would seem unlikely.

Getting uppity doesn't distract from the fact that every Argentinian believes the islands are theirs. They have every right of voice it and I cannot understand why anyone objects to them doing so. Got to be better than going to war having them get all misty eyed and resentful and knowing full well they can do f**k all about it.

Getting uppity doesn't distract from the fact that every Argentinian believes the islands are theirs. They have every right of voice it and I cannot understand why anyone objects to them doing so. Got to be better than going to war having them get all misty eyed and resentful and knowing full well they can do f**k all about it.

Exactly.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Falklands conflict, sporting events should not be used as a platform for political statements of this type. The only exceptions, to my mind, are the "hitler olympics", and the US Black Power salutes, both of which were making statements about genuine repression. And in this case, it did have a political impact in the UK; galtieris invasion added at least a term to thatchers tenure.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Falklands conflict, sporting events should not be used as a platform for political statements of this type. The only exceptions, to my mind, are the "hitler olympics", and the US Black Power salutes, both of which were making statements about genuine repression. And in this case, it did have a political impact in the UK; galtieris invasion added at least a term to thatchers tenure.

Basically, what you are saying is that political statements should be kept out of sport.....unless i agree with them. Thats a dangerous way of looking at things.

The revival of the Falklands as an issue is a cynical ploy by the Argentine government to appeal to national unity and rally people behind the flag at a time when they are utterly effing up the economy and are nearly bankrupt.

I like it when Saint in Paradise gets his ex-pat rage on. It's a healthy warning to us all of the dangers of being angry and acting like a daft old sod in old age.

I think I'll take up bridge and watercolour painting and just stop reading the papers when I'm an old codger.

P.S. Aguero was the only UK-based player in the match squad and he didn't pose in the picture (Dimichelis and Zabaleta in WC squad but also not in picture), but don't let that stop us getting REALLY REALLY ANGRY ABOUT OUR GREAT BRITISH EMPIRE BEING TAKEN AWAY FROM US BY FOOTBALLERS WITH A BANNER.

P.P.S. I notice it's mainly the ex-pats on here getting their knickers in a twist. What is it with ex-pats that the country is not good enough for them to live in but if anyone else challenges the idyllic image they have of Blighty they go purple with apoplectic rage?

at present they can't. By the 2nd quarter of the 21st century there will be more Spanish speaking Americans than English. In turn it is not too unreal to believe that there will be a Spanish speaking President if the USA within most of the younger posters lifetimes on here. The balance will change and then we may not so easily hold on to the. Islands with force as the US turns it's head to appeasing the South Americas. It's a waiting game. IMO

I think they should keep this away from such competitions

imagine ENgland holding a banner saying that the Falklands are ours. I suspect the open mindedness shown here would not be so forthcoming.

sod it, lets go into the italy mach with a banner saying "scotland is ours'

FIFA (or which ever FA it was) recently cracked down on some players for displaying t-shirts supporting Mandela and remembering Ataturk because of the political nature. Therefore they really should step in here.

Here's a bit about them cracking down on ALL messages and not just religious/political http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/soccer/story/1.2556340 . Will FIFA do anything......yeah right!

I like it when Saint in Paradise gets his ex-pat rage on. It's a healthy warning to us all of the dangers of being angry and acting like a daft old sod in old age.

I think I'll take up bridge and watercolour painting and just stop reading the papers when I'm an old codger.

P.S. Aguero was the only UK-based player in the match squad and he didn't pose in the picture (Dimichelis and Zabaleta in WC squad but also not in picture), but don't let that stop us getting REALLY REALLY ANGRY ABOUT OUR GREAT BRITISH EMPIRE BEING TAKEN AWAY FROM US BY FOOTBALLERS WITH A BANNER.

P.P.S. I notice it's mainly the ex-pats on here getting their knickers in a twist. What is it with ex-pats that the country is not good enough for them to live in but if anyone else challenges the idyllic image they have of Blighty they go purple with apoplectic rage?

Being from Hampshire many of us have some connection with those that liberated the Islands from Fascism.

Being British most of us believe in the principle of self determination.

Being intelligent means that you understand that the unpalatable principle of colonization requires an unwilling indigenous population.

Basically, what you are saying is that political statements should be kept out of sport.....unless i agree with them. Thats a dangerous way of looking at things.

I think that most people would just like to have some consistency from the football authorities !

England were forbidden to wear poppies on their shirts in Nov 2011 and yet nothing seems to have been done about this provocative banner !

Double standards I feel (from FIFA) but not surprised !

Where were you in 1982?

How long have you served in the British armed forces?

How many times have you been sent to war to free British nationals, and British land, from invading oppressors?

Who said England is not a good enough country for me? Just because I chose to live in another country, due to numerous personal reasons, doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to have a say about anything to do with the UK.

What the f*ck have you ever done for England/Britain/the UK?

Where were you in 1982?

How many times have you been sent to war to free British nationals, and British land, from invading oppressors?

Who said England is not a good enough country for me? Just because I chose to live in another country, due to numerous personal reasons, doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to have a say about anything to do with the UK.

Deppo has just got the bite he was looking for.

Where were you in 1982?

This is a bit of an overreaction on a thread about some footballers standing behind a banner, supporting their own country.

Personally I think we should just laugh at this pathetic show of bravado from these grown men who earn their living kicking a ball about. It isn't as if these are intellectual heavyweights whose opinion means much to anybody sensible; they're only footballers.

I think that most people would just like to have some consistency from the football authorities !

England were forbidden to wear poppies on their shirts in Nov 2011 and yet nothing seems to have been done about this provocative banner !

Double standards I feel (from FIFA) but not surprised ��!

England were not "forbidden from wearing poppies", they, along with everyone else are prevented from having "political, religious or commercial messages" on their shirts according to FIFA regulations. When it was noted that this wasn't a political issue (even the German FA said it was fine), they were given the go ahead, but by then it was too late to get the embroidery done, and they wore armbands and (some) wore poppy embroidered boots.

Also, FIFA will act on the banner, but given the poxy fines for racism and Blatter's recent shameful accusations about the anti-Qatar agenda, I doubt it'll be a big fine.

We miss rhubarb crumble with Ambrosia Devon custard, decent roast beef, Maynards Midget Gems, Airifx kits and Twiglets...........

FWIW I agree completely with Minsk. F**k the argies, and I am glad our manager is no longer one.

Where were you in 1982?

I was watching the first series of On Safari with Christopher Biggins. It was brilliant telly.

Where were you in 1982?

What has this got to do with anything? You've gone into a bit of rant mode and lost all sense.

We miss rhubarb crumble with Ambrosia Devon custard, decent roast beef, Maynards Midget Gems, Airifx kits and Twiglets...........

FWIW I agree completely with Minsk. F**k the argies, and I am glad our manager is no longer one.

Ah, a nice it of casual xenophobia from our depressive alpine friend. Well done.

Where were you in 1982?

Would you marry an Argie?

What has this got to do with anything? You've gone into a bit of rant mode and lost all sense.

Leave Minsk alone. He fought for democracy and the right to tell everybody who didn't fight for democracy that they are not allowed to have an opinion because they didn't fight for democracy like the people who fought for democracy.

Where were you in 1982? That's right: you weren't even born, Ludwig, you traitor.

How long have you served in the British Armed Forces? That's right: you haven't, you traitor.

What the f*ck have you ever done for England/Britain/the UK? That's right: nothing, because you weren't in the armed forces so you haven't done anything because anybody that wasn't in the armed forces has never done anything for England/Britain/the UK because it's impossible to have done anything for England/Britain/the UK if you weren't in the armed forces.

Im with Minsk re his post . He was there and he may have known a few colleagues of his who were injured or killed .

So I understand why he is having a rant . We lost two medics and doc Roger Nutbeam out there at the time of the conflict .

The Argie footballers should not have stood behind that banner . But hey . We live in a democracy and you have freedom of speech but just remember or the lives over the years that have been lost fighting for democracy

Grey crab Do I take it your in full agreement with the Celtic fans and their pro ira and anti British banners they displayed are acceptable based on your support for the argies footballers banner ?

How is that Argentina banner even remotely comparable to some of the Celtic fan base's support for the IRA?

Two entirely disparate and utterly unrelated things, a clear theme on this thread.

How is that Argentina banner even remotely comparable to some of the Celtic fan base's support for the IRA?

Two entirely disparate and utterly unrelated things, a clear theme on this thread.

This is a typical reaction of someone who have never fought for their country. If it were down to you, we would have have handed the keys to GB over and be living under an IRA/Argie coalition by now.

I know your sort - never done nothing for your country and were probably secretly pleased when Pinochet or whatever his name is was appointed Saints manager. Well not me, son. I'm glad we have our club back. Now we just need to free our country, but i don't expect you to help.

Ah, a nice it of casual xenophobia from our depressive alpine friend. Well done.

You're quite right. I apologise. She just caught me at a bad time and hit a nerve. I would, however, like her to explain why she feels an ex-pat should not have any say over the goings on in his/her country of nationality; or attacks upon it from others.

Would you marry an Argie?

What a bizarre question. I am very happily married to my Belarusian wife, so probably not. And, if I were not married, there would be a whole load of other criteria I would need to know before I could answer such a question: does she have big norks?; does she give good head?; is she a good cook and housekeeper?; what are her views on the Falklands/Malvinas?; etc.

Leave Minsk alone. He fought for democracy and the right to tell everybody who didn't fight for democracy that they are not allowed to have an opinion because they didn't fight for democracy like the people who fought for democracy.

Where were you in 1982? That's right: you weren't even born, Ludwig, you traitor.

How long have you served in the British Armed Forces? That's right: you haven't, you traitor.

What the f*ck have you ever done for England/Britain/the UK? That's right: nothing, because you weren't in the armed forces so you haven't done anything because anybody that wasn't in the armed forces has never done anything for England/Britain/the UK because it's impossible to have done anything for England/Britain/the UK if you weren't in the armed forces.

Where did I say anyone is not allowed an opinion?

Who did I call a traitor?

Where did I state no one could have done anything for their country unless they served in the armed forces?

You had your bite from me yesterday, when I read your post at the wrong moment (from my perspective); well done you. Hopefully one day, when you have grown up, you may come to realise that certain topics are very close to some people's hearts; for some very pressing reasons. For that reason they may get a little tetchy when reading immature diatribe on an internet forum. Well, none of us are perfect. And, if it makes you moist, please continue your pathetic, immature, posturing. Alternatively, I am happy to debate any well thought, reasoned, constructive, dialogue; but I will not respond to another one of your 'time of the month' trolling posts.

Im with Minsk re his post . He was there and he may have known a few colleagues of his who were injured or killed .

So I understand why he is having a rant . We lost two medics and doc Roger Nutbeam out there at the time of the conflict .

The Argie footballers should not have stood behind that banner . But hey . We live in a democracy and you have freedom of speech but just remember or the lives over the years that have been lost fighting for democracy

Cheers VW.

You just have to look at the map to see why they think they should be theirs, a lot of British people seem to have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to colonisation. We are all misty eyed about our armed forces because of the World Wars but fact is to many people around the world through history they have been seen as murdering invaders.

Having said that the Falkland Islands should belong to the Falkland Islands, the people there have a democratic right that should be respected.

We went to argie on holiday last year and had a great time. Obviously we thought we might not be too welcome but everyone was sooo friendly.

We did the whole of the country (practically) and went down to Ushuaia on Tierra del Fuego - what a stunning place - about as far south as you can go on continental mainland before you get to the antarctic. It's not everyone's idea of a holiday destination but we loved it!

However, the gist of this post is that I'm in the oil industry and flying into Ushuaia you land at the Malvinas International Airport! Ushuaia is a busy port and already supports some offshore oil activity in argieland, but it was apparent that the local industry had been lobbying Buenos Aires very hard to allow them to become the main supply base for the drilling campaign off the Falklands - but to no avail. Drilling support is a massive business and although the activity off the Falklands is sporadic, it would be a massive boost to the local (and national) economy.

By coincidence, one of my current colleagues used to be a big wig for BG (the old British Gas, not the new one) in buenos aires, and when he first went out there about 20 years ago, BG applied for some of the Falklands Islands exploration blocks in a 50/50 partnership with YPF, the then national oil company of argieland, with the full backing of the argie government. In the end they weren't awarded any blocks (luckily says my colleague) - but shows how hypocritical everyone can be.

One of the best things we bought down there was a postcard from The Falkland Islands, printed in argieland - especially for american tourists who had no idea who/where/what the malvinas are/were.

You just have to look at the map to see why they think they should be theirs, a lot of British people seem to have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to colonisation. We are all misty eyed about our armed forces because of the World Wars but fact is to many people around the world through history they have been seen as murdering invaders.

Having said that the Falkland Islands should belong to the Falkland Islands, the people there have a democratic right that should be respected.

people get annoyed as we lost loved ones in that war for the falklands as we fought for democracy. Hardly 'murderous' invaders in this instance

the islanders choose to remain a British protectorate and do so with an almighty majority. Even those on the islands that are from argentina do not wish to be part of that country

The lack of respect for the islanders shown time and time again by argentina is disturbing really. Given where the islanders are, Argentina are in prime position to go on the charm offensive over the years to force democratic change. I mean, we hardly do a great deal other than tell the argies to leave the islands alone