India in trouble this time

Saint in Paradise

One positive to take from today's game is that at least Flintoff looks as though he's back in decent nick with the bat. He got an absolutely shocking decision against him in the first game, so couldn't really judge how he was looking, but today's knock was decent.

The real blow was losing both him and Pietersen in the same over - that pretty much killed it when it looked as though we might have a chance of rescuing the game.

Certainly an improvement on the first game, although they'd have found it difficult to be any worse!

One positive to take from today's game is that at least Flintoff looks as though he's back in decent nick with the bat. He got an absolutely shocking decision against him in the first game, so couldn't really judge how he was looking, but today's knock was decent.

The real blow was losing both him and Pietersen in the same over - that pretty much killed it when it looked as though we might have a chance of rescuing the game.

Certainly an improvement on the first game, although they'd have found it difficult to be any worse!

Agreed Steve and it was a shocker in the first game, the ball pitched so far outside leg that it may as well have pitched in China! Remember Hussain getting one of those in Sri Lanka a few years ago. Moores is clueless though, Bopara got 50n.o last time yet good old counties Peter still bats him at 8. His bowling, whilst not world-beating, is now superior to Collingwood's yet Colly can keept get single-figure scores as he's Peter's friend yet Ravi doesn't bowl an over. I don't always agree with Darren Gough but I do on this - England's ODI selection is based on facial fit and not ability or form. If it wasn't, Colly (who has performed in the past to be fair) and Bell (who has only 1 ODI ton and has done very little in ODIs when it counts) wouldn't be in the squad.

Moores is clueless though, Bopara got 50n.o last time yet good old counties Peter still bats him at 8.

He batted further up the order in the first game and his first action was to run out KP who was one of our only hopes of chasing down the ridiculous total set. I agree that he probably *should* be higher up, but he doesn't do himself any favours with his abysmal running decisions.

His bowling, whilst not world-beating, is now superior to Collingwood's yet Colly can keept get single-figure scores as he's Peter's friend yet Ravi doesn't bowl an over.

Not sure I'd agree with that - in my opinion, Collingwood is still a far more accomplished part-time bowler than Bopara. I'd entirely agree about his batting, but you could then also make the case for Collingwood's fielding ability (I don't think there's a better fielder in the squad) often being worth the number of runs he now seems unable to score with the bat.

I don't always agree with Darren Gough but I do on this - England's ODI selection is based on facial fit and not ability or form. If it wasn't, Colly (who has performed in the past to be fair) and Bell (who has only 1 ODI ton and has done very little in ODIs when it counts) wouldn't be in the squad.

Bell is the ultimate 30s and 40s player - gets in, looks well set, and then plays a stupid shot to get out. I'm not sure who else I'd have opening the batting right now though. Prior does exactly the same, plays some good shots to get in and then skies one to give his wicket away.

I understand Gough's comments, although I personally think it applies more to the Twenty20 side that went to Antigua. Alistair Cook was in that squad... I mean, really? He's the most non-Twenty20 player I've seen in recent years.

He batted further up the order in the first game and his first action was to run out KP who was one of our only hopes of chasing down the ridiculous total set. I agree that he probably *should* be higher up, but he doesn't do himself any favours with his abysmal running decisions.

Not sure I'd agree with that - in my opinion, Collingwood is still a far more accomplished part-time bowler than Bopara. I'd entirely agree about his batting, but you could then also make the case for Collingwood's fielding ability (I don't think there's a better fielder in the squad) often being worth the number of runs he now seems unable to score with the bat.

Bell is the ultimate 30s and 40s player - gets in, looks well set, and then plays a stupid shot to get out. I'm not sure who else I'd have opening the batting right now though. Prior does exactly the same, plays some good shots to get in and then skies one to give his wicket away.

I understand Gough's comments, although I personally think it applies more to the Twenty20 side that went to Antigua. Alistair Cook was in that squad... I mean, really? He's the most non-Twenty20 player I've seen in recent years.

Fair comments Steve, I did curse at Bopara for running out KP on Friday. I like Colly a lot as a player and met him in 2004 and top bloke as well. He's taken some stunning catches but can't rely on a brave century every 6-12 months to keep him in the side. I just think Bopara's time is coming and Colly might be the candidate to make way.

Bell clearly has the natural ability to be a success but either has a mental block akin to Ramprakash or just doesn't have the hunger for the top level. Also, I don't mind Moores picking Prior but please Peter, bat him at 7 or so, Sanath Jayasariah he isn't!

Peter Moores is awful at International level, I hate seeing England lose but a few more defeats like this might rid us of the tosser. Get back to the counties and let someone who understands cricket at that level take control.

i disagree, i think the changes he has made on and off the field will come good. Dont judge him on this tour of India, they smashed the aussies too. A very hard place to go and get a result

Has has batted at #8 in both games.