Timewasting at the World Cup

Kingsbridge Saint

Does this annoy anyone else or is it part of the game now? Team in the lead, second half normally and there's 1. feigning injury, stretcher and straight back on 2. Picking up the ball for a throw then giving it to someone else. 3. Subs walking off at snails pace usually having gone to the far touchline first 4. The hold the ball trick so multiball can't be used for a restart. 5. Going down with cramp - especially during injury time. Why don't FIFA anything about it all? If it was me - every time some tart went off on a stretcher and wanted to come straight back on I would institute a 5 minute 'stand down' for 'health and safety'. 5 minutes with 10 men - that would stop that one for starters.

Yeah, it is part of the game and some teams are better at it than others. It is a type of game management. When the Italians were beating us, they seemed to know the exact amount of time you can take for a throw, goal kick etc without getting booked. We only needed a draw against Uruguay but looked like we couldn't manage the game at all. If we had controlled it, Uruguay would have had to push on as they needed the win more (or at least thought they did) and there would have been gaps.

I didn't hear anyone booing in the saints end when Gnigga was taking an age on everything in the key game at loftus Road under NA. I am sure there were other times too, but that game took the piss.

What annoys me the most is that I swear goalkeepers take so long to take a goal kick... What happened to the 6 second rule?

A game the other day where a goal kick took 40 seconds of the 1 minute added on and the ref just blew full time. Felt sorry for the loser of that game.

What annoys me the most is that I swear goalkeepers take so long to take a goal kick... What happened to the 6 second rule?

A game the other day where a goal kick took 40 seconds of the 1 minute added on and the ref just blew full time. Felt sorry for the loser of that game.

not applicable.

I doubt fifa will do anything about the antics of certain teams and players

they have allegedely been given large brown envelopes full of cash to turn a blind eye.

not only match officials but those at the very top of the organisation.

Blatter and co should hang their heads in shame

Look how they are handling the squarez crap. I wouldnt be suprised if squarez gets cleared and is given compensation for hurt feelings and dental treatment

seem not only is the uraguayan capt saying he's innocent but also the countrys president

what a crass statement he has made. I wonder how people the president killed in his time,

"Mujica, 79, a former guerrilla fighter and political prisoner, added that Fifa should not use television evidence to retrospectively punish players."

and you would have thought FIFA would have already closely looked a the TV footage, instead of saying they would look at it today, but then that may well be media miss reporting

Does this annoy anyone else or is it part of the game now? Team in the lead, second half normally and there's 1. feigning injury, stretcher and straight back on 2. Picking up the ball for a throw then giving it to someone else. 3. Subs walking off at snails pace usually having gone to the far touchline first 4. The hold the ball trick so multiball can't be used for a restart. 5. Going down with cramp - especially during injury time. Why don't FIFA anything about it all? If it was me - every time some tart went off on a stretcher and wanted to come straight back on I would institute a 5 minute 'stand down' for 'health and safety'. 5 minutes with 10 men - that would stop that one for starters.

I'd like to see an experimental tournament run a basketball timekeeper basis. Two halves of 30 minutes playing time each, with an off pitch timekeeper stopping the clock each and every time the ball goes out of play and/or play is stopped. 60 minutes of actual action is probably more than is averaged at the moment. It would be interesting to see how teams approach a match on that basis.

I doubt fifa will do anything about the antics of certain teams and players

they have allegedely been given large brown envelopes full of cash to turn a blind eye.

This is FIFA that has £1 BILLION in cash reserves and is a non-profit organisation you're talking about, right?

I'd like to see an experimental tournament run a basketball timekeeper basis. Two halves of 30 minutes playing time each, with an off pitch timekeeper stopping the clock each and every time the ball goes out of play and/or play is stopped. 60 minutes of actual action is probably more than is averaged at the moment. It would be interesting to see how teams approach a match on that basis.

Let's put it this way, I played a match in the US once where the game clock ran 45 minutes and there was no added time - suffice to say we were 3-1 up quite early in the game and spent the last half hour just kicking the ball as far from the pitch as possible.

30 minute halves with a stopping clock is about right time-wise, the practicalities of a timekeeper are yet to be explored.

One of the problems with timekeeping at the moment is the ridiculous decision to have fixed amounts of time to add on per stoppage, leading to MORE timewasting because teams know they kill time if they take longer than the allocated amount.

Anyone else watch Slimani today? He was the same in the last game too. Goes down with negligible contact, remains motionless, forces play to stop. Doesn't respond to prolonged treatment. Stretcher on, loaded in, carted off. The instant the stretcher is over the line he's up and elbowing the sub out of the way and straight back on. Watch him in particular against Germany, they will be playing for 0-0 from the start and the stage is set.

I've been advocating this for years that and the whistle blows the first time the ball goes dead after time is up and you suddenly have a fair system that doesn't encourage time wasting of stupidly annoying proportions. I can cope when there is a few minutes left of a tight game but I'd swear we see it in the first half of some premier league games when a team fancies a draw.

Sadly when ever people talk about modernising the establishment runs a mile, how are we only just seeing goal line technology and the magic spray at top level when both have been available for years?