Well,well well

Saint in Paradise

Have to say I am a bit surprised with this story.

The European Court of Human Rights has upheld a ban by France on wearing the Muslim full-face veil - the niqab.

A case was brought by a 24-year-old French woman, who argued that the ban on wearing the veil in public violated

her freedom of religion and expression.

French law says nobody can wear in a public space clothing intended to conceal the face. The penalty for doing so

can be a 150-euro fine (£120; $205).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28106900

:thumbup: :toppa:

"The Court was also able to understand the view that individuals might not wish to see, in places open to all, practices or attitudes which would fundamentally call into question the possibility of open interpersonal relationships, which, by virtue of an established consensus, formed an indispensable element of community life within the society in question."

Disappointed by the ruling personally. I thought the ECofHR was supposed to look past what individuals might or might not "wish to see" and stand up for people's right to wear what they want. And the last part of the sentence basically seems to say that the garment hinders interaction within society, which it does, but again I think if that's a person's choice then society should have to live with it, and make efforts to accept it.

I dislike the hijab and all it stands for but wouldn't ban it for a second.

"The Court was also able to understand the view that individuals might not wish to see, in places open to all, practices or attitudes which would fundamentally call into question the possibility of open interpersonal relationships, which, by virtue of an established consensus, formed an indispensable element of community life within the society in question."

Disappointed by the ruling personally. I thought the ECofHR was supposed to look past what individuals might or might not "wish to see" and stand up for people's right to wear what they want. And the last part of the sentence basically seems to say that the garment hinders interaction within society, which it does, but again I think if that's a person's choice then society should have to live with it, and make efforts to accept it.

I dislike the hijab and all it stands for but wouldn't ban it for a second.

I disagree. I don't want anyone to have to cover their faces in public.

I disagree. I don't want anyone to have to cover their faces in public.

Absolutely. In my opinion it is also about equality. For example, kids being told to remove the hoods of their hoodies in town centres, young adults being told to remove baseball hats in pubs, motorcyclists being told to remove helmets in petrol stations. Therefore I think the ECHR has made the correct decision in upholding the ruling of baning the hijab in public, as like the examples above, it is a rule that is equal & fair to all and is a justified act in providing a safer and more secure society for all.