Near Miss at Barcelona Airport. Officially No Problemo !

Wurzel

What looks - to the untrained eye - like a very near miss at Barcelona airport at the weekend. Spanish authorities claim both planes were where they should be and there was never any problem. I'd hate to think what situation they consider dangerous.!

I know we have a few pilots that post here. Is this as bad as it appears?

[video=youtube_share;1N5THRSp4hM]

No problem. We are trained to take off, lose an engine on the runway after V1 before V2/VR and climb away, go around with a failed engine. Abort auto lands on the runway in 75m visibility climb away and lose an engine. Two engine go around in the above is a piece of ****. It's happened to me many times last time a PAA 747 did it to me very low at Manchester. Mind you if it happened in fog it shouldn't but could end up in a catastrophe. Presumably the two aircraft were on the same radio frequency if not shades of Tenerife North.

No problem. We are trained to take off, lose an engine on the runway after V1 before V2/VR and climb away, go around with a failed engine. Abort auto lands on the runway in 75m visibility climb away and lose an engine. Two engine go around in the above is a piece of ****. It's happened to me many times last time a PAA 747 did it to me very low at Manchester. Mind you if it happened in fog it shouldn't but could end up in a catastrophe. Presumably the two aircraft were on the same radio frequency if not shades of Tenerife North.

Assuming its fitted, does the TCAS work at that height, or is there too much traffic already on the ground to make it no use?

That plane driver is such a bitch! When I've got right of way i would never puss out like that, the other plane driver on the ground has totally punked out the flying plane dude - right in his grille! I am amazed he just took it like that! Face is usually v.important to plane drivers.

Edited by Bearsy

Assuming its fitted, does the TCAS work at that height, or is there too much traffic already on the ground to make it no use?

TCAS will not activate bellow 1000ft and in any case the A340 most likely didn't have his in TARA mode on the ground, which would give avoidance commands.

No idea who said what on ATC but the crew of that A340 deserve a good slap for crossing an active runway without even a casual glance to see what's coming. It's not a common occurrence but happens from time to time and isn't newsworthy. When I heard on the news that, 'none of the passengers were injured,' I almost died of face palm.

That plane driver is such a bitch! When I've got right of way i would never puss out like that, the other plane driver on the ground has totally punked out the flying plane dude - right in his grille! I am amazed he just took it like that! Face is usually v.important to plane drivers.

I have to say this did make me laugh quite a lot

TCAS will not activate bellow 1000ft and in any case the A340 most likely didn't have his in TARA mode on the ground, which would give avoidance commands.

No idea who said what on ATC but the crew of that A340 deserve a good slap for crossing an active runway without even a casual glance to see what's coming. It's not a common occurrence but happens from time to time and isn't newsworthy. When I heard on the news that, 'none of the passengers were injured,' I almost died of face palm.

I've used TCAS on the ground to track inbound traffic range/alt.

You can but if the A340 guys didn't even bother to look out the window, it's unlikely they were checking TCAS either.

Maybe they were looking out the window and though feck it, I'm going anyway. I've seen plenty of people on the road look, see something coming, & pull out anyway. Probably hoping for a bit of runway rage, you know what some of these pilots are like, thinking they rule the roads/runways in their fancy cars/planes! ;)

What looks - to the untrained eye - like a very near miss at Barcelona airport at the weekend. Spanish authorities claim both planes were where they should be and there was never any problem. I'd hate to think what situation they consider dangerous.!

I know we have a few pilots that post here. Is this as bad as it appears?

[video=youtube_share;1N5THRSp4hM]

What REALLY ****es meoff about those situations is that when you go around the bloody cabin crew ALWAYS refuse to serve you a stiff Brandy to calm you down. even when you've blagged an upgrade.

I assume EoA was on his afternoon job at Barca that day. Looks like one of his after a night out with the Dubai Massive