Apple TV (jailbroken)

Marsdinho

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting rid of Sky TV as the monthly cost is obscene, I've tried getting discounts etc in the past, but now I just want rid. Was thinking about getting Apple TV and jailbreaking it as both the Mrs and I already have an iphone / ipad.

What my concern is, is that there are some features I get with sky that I quite like that I need advice on how to get it via Apple TV, or alternative methods.

- Sky sports 1-5: I simply cant be without my sports channels, can a jailbroken Apple TV get around this?

- SkyGo: This is a very handy app, not the end of the world if i lose it, but I do like sitting out in the garden watching footy, also handy if i'm working away from home - Is there an app that allows me to remotely view what is being shown on my TV?

- Sky+: Obviously, ill keep the sky box and just use it for freeview and recording freeview channels, but Is there a way to record sky channels directly on to apple TV, like monday night footy and watch it at a later date.

I may be asking really dumb questions, so any help would be great. It may be that Apple TV isnt the way forward, so other suggestion would be good.

Cheers

The Apple TV 3 is currently not jailbroken to my knowledge, and doesnt look like it ill be any time soon.

Have a look at getting something like the intel NUC and installing XBMC on it. Plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to get any extra streams that you may need. However streaming sites for the Sky sports channels tend to be carp and any device really.

Have a look at NowTV boxes - a tenner I think. Gives you access to on-demand Sky shows (so if you want to watch Big Vic flatten Lallana in the first game of the season in glorious HD you still can)

To Jailbreak ATV you need a version 2 box off eBay or similar - make sure it hasn't taken any updates for the last couple of years as well. Really best to buy an already jailbroken one these days.

A great cheap option if you don't mind getting your hands dirty is a Raspberry Pi running OpenElec or RaspBMC - you can be up and running for around £30 with a box which will play anything you throw at it.

If you want to go down the illegal streaming route for your sports then there are plugins available to make that process easy for OpenElec and XBMC

For a tenner a month you can get Sky Sports Mobile TV and have all sports channels but you can only watch on the iPad/iPhone and it will be low bandwidth - just about acceptable quality for a small screen. I have this for watching the F1 races not on BBC and the occasional Saints game but I wouldn't watch by choice - only have it because we can't get Sky here (landlord issues putting up a dish)

• 3 weeks later...

After you cancel be prepared for endless letters and phone calls begging you to come back. You will need a card for the Sky+ box if you want to continue using it for the free channels but the recording feature will be disabled because you're no longer paying for the plus element. You can get a Freesat box which will record for not much money.

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting rid of Sky TV as the monthly cost is obscene, I've tried getting discounts etc in the past, but now I just want rid. Was thinking about getting Apple TV and jailbreaking it as both the Mrs and I already have an iphone / ipad.

What my concern is, is that there are some features I get with sky that I quite like that I need advice on how to get it via Apple TV, or alternative methods.

- Sky sports 1-5: I simply cant be without my sports channels, can a jailbroken Apple TV get around this?

- SkyGo: This is a very handy app, not the end of the world if i lose it, but I do like sitting out in the garden watching footy, also handy if i'm working away from home - Is there an app that allows me to remotely view what is being shown on my TV?

- Sky+: Obviously, ill keep the sky box and just use it for freeview and recording freeview channels, but Is there a way to record sky channels directly on to apple TV, like monday night footy and watch it at a later date.

I may be asking really dumb questions, so any help would be great. It may be that Apple TV isnt the way forward, so other suggestion would be good.

Cheers

So in summary...

You no longer want to pay for Sky's services and so need advice on how best to steal them?

;)

What's jail broken mean ?

I have had a letter saying my sky bill is going up £4 a month from September . Why is it always 4 pounds .

That's £96 thus year and next year . Obscene .

Professional un loyal footballers have a lot to answer for .

I would be interested in this Apple TV stuff as well

So in summary...

You no longer want to pay for Sky's services and so need advice on how best to steal them?

;)

"Steal" is such a dirty word. I prefer "make the most of the technology available to me in 2014, if its made by humans - it can be cracked by humans"

Sky have been very clever/complete dicks about this.

Now TV sky sports on apple TV is £9.99 A DAY! Which is insane, but plenty are buying it. Sky Sports Mobile isn't bad at a tenner a month or free with many mobile phone contracts, but restricted to mobile devices. If that was linked to Apple TV, then it would be brilliant.

You can't even get Sky sports on apple TV if you're a Sky sports customer, because that would limit their multiroom revenues! They have a lot of business streams competing against each other and they aren't about to combine and help out the customers.

The Now TV thing is quite funny. 'Try and make it as successful as you can....but not too successful, don't dare limit Sy subscriptions'.

Right, enough free TV analysis for you.

I'm not sure about Sky Sports Mobile, but I know with the BT Sport mobile services you can stream them to TV via Chromecast. If that works with Sky Sports Mobile, then that's probably the cheapest (legal) way of doing it - £4.99 a month gets you Sky Sports 1 + 2, £9.99 gives you all Sky Sports channels. Add in £20 for the Chromecast and you can be watching for £70 for the year. But again, I'm not sure if their app is supported by Chromecast (yet).