Seaside Resort Advice (South/SW)

melmacian_saint

Right guys, looking for a nice weekend break for me et partner. We've already travelled abroad this summer so we're looking for somewhere on these shores.

We're looking for something in the South West, more specifically Devon and Cornwall. Because it's 3 days max. we're not too keen on little villages (maybe a bit unusual but we prefer isolated places for longer holidays). Therefore, we decided to look at a few seaside larger towns (not that many anyway).

Out of personal curiosity I looked up and found some really nice looking things in Torquay, from which I've had good opinions from people I know, the last of which told me it was getting "better and better". I've never been, the area does look quite nice and I am fairly tempted to book something down there if we do decide to go ahead with the plan.

Anyone been recently and has any advice about it or any other place around the coast?

We're not particularly fussy, we like nice terraces to sit and have a drink, a nice enough seafront and a fairly long shore of sand to walk along so nothing special!

Thanks in advance!

St Ives is nice. May be a bit on the small side.

Torquay is a good shout. Bit stag doo'y. You would also have Paignton zoo not far away.

But they are turning the place around after years of bad reputation with pizz heads

Hale is another option. Between Newquay and at Ives. But a tad smaller. Lovely beach

Avoid Newquay.

Plymouth is pretty touristy. Although, no beaches as such but plenty to do

Exmouth has a nice beach. And close to Exeter and all the facilities there

Edited by Batman

Anywhere from Paignton all round the peninsula to Bigbury-on-sea is nice. What about Dartmouth? Close enough to beaches.

Good shout, this.

Half my family's from South Devon and I know most of it like the back of my hand. Not so much Cornwall, though. Bigbury is one of my fave spots actually, it's a great beach. However it's definitely small village territory which you did say you're not after. Here's a few recommendations from me with some more built-up areas, hope they help.

Goodrington: Just south of Paignton. Small town but has Torbay on its doorstep. Beach used to be really nice, but I am going back well over a decade since last time I went there. Charming Brixham nearby too.

Teignmouth: Reasonable sized town with nice bars & restaurants. Beach has a great old skool pier and a long stretch of sand too. Plenty for kids to do. Also some great coastal walks alongside Brunel's railway (if you like that sort of thing)

Dawlish: Another small town, a bit more charming than Teignmouth but with a smaller beach. However, close by Dawlish Warren is a great beach. Coastal walks go through here too, ending at Warren.

A bit of Town and Sun? No better place than Bridport (and West Bay) IMHO. It is a good base as it is a bit 'funkier' than most west coast towns (always good gigs on, odd stuff happening, great food n booze). But you have Eype and West Bay for beaches etc too and Chesil / Lyme along the Jurassic Coast too.

Check out these 'much-higher-production-values-than-you'd-reasonably-hope-to-expect' promo videos.

http://www.bridportandwestbay.co.uk/whats-on/news/286-the-bridport-videos.html

depends on what age you are but Sidmouth is a hidden gem with lots of pretty villages and places to go. The town is quaint with own family run department store. We go there about 3 times a year and find it relaxing. The Victoria Hotel is fantastic (the clientele is quite old but the last few times we have noticed a lot more 40 somethings) We like the service and some decent prices. If you are looking for nightlife its not for you, but quiet relaxation then i would say definately. http://www.victoriahotel.co.uk/?gclid=CLvTr7Lg2L8CFWETwwoddE4AGw

As i say if you are under 40 then its not really the place,

A bit of Town and Sun? No better place than Bridport (and West Bay) IMHO. It is a good base as it is a bit 'funkier' than most west coast towns (always good gigs on, odd stuff happening, great food n booze). But you have Eype and West Bay for beaches etc too and Chesil / Lyme along the Jurassic Coast too.

Check out these 'much-higher-production-values-than-you'd-reasonably-hope-to-expect' promo videos.

http://www.bridportandwestbay.co.uk/whats-on/news/286-the-bridport-videos.html

I'll second that. Grandparents-in-law live in Bridport and it's a lovely area.

Anywhere from Paignton all round the peninsula to Bigbury-on-sea is nice. What about Dartmouth? Close enough to beaches.

I'd second this. Dartmouth is lovely and there is a nice ferry from/to Totnes which is nice for a visit, as well as an old steam traim from Kingswear to Paignton if that's your type of thing. It's also close to Torbay. I lived in Torquay for a bit and loved it. There are plenty of good things to do in the vicinty for a weekend - you'll have no problem filling the time and there is a bit of lively nightlife too if you want it.

I'd second this. Dartmouth is lovely and there is a nice ferry from/to Totnes which is nice for a visit, as well as an old steam traim from Kingswear to Paignton if that's your type of thing. It's also close to Torbay. I lived in Torquay for a bit and loved it. There are plenty of good things to do in the vicinty for a weekend - you'll have no problem filling the time and there is a bit of lively nightlife too if you want it.

Dartmouth is indeed nice.

but as Special K says, Anything around the Torbay area is good with plenty to do in the vicinity

Why not save travelling time and head for Poole in Dorset? Great beaches at Sandbanks/Branksome and across the ferry at Studland. Loads to do in the town. Also - easy to get out and explore the Swanage area on foot or even on bike. Bikes are excellent as you avoid traffic queues and can easily use the chain ferry.

I’ll give a shout for Brixham: one of the largest fishing fleets in the country, good fish restaurants and decent range of pubs around a very pretty and interesting working harbour. Stroll around the harbour, marinas and along the breakwater, swim from Breakwater Beach, have a meal and a beer at the Old Market House, Prince William or Breakwater Café, or walk to Berry Head, stopping for another beer on the terrace at Berry Head hotel – superb views over Torbay. If you’re feeling really energetic walk the coastal path to Kingswear: beautiful coastal scenery – but, be warned, it’s rated as one of the most strenuous sections of the entire South West Peninsular Coastal Path.

Boat trips from Brixham to Torquay and Dartmouth etc. and a variety of beaches within walking distance of the town.

Why not save travelling time and head for Poole in Dorset? Great beaches at Sandbanks/Branksome and across the ferry at Studland. Loads to do in the town. Also - easy to get out and explore the Swanage area on foot or even on bike. Bikes are excellent as you avoid traffic queues and can easily use the chain ferry.

Seconded . Nice summers evening sat down the quay, can't beat it. Plenty of restaurants and pubs, quite a lot of live music , not too busy (all the numpties hit Bournemouth) but lively enough. Nice walk along the sea from lilliput to the quay , or even Hamworthy side round holes bay via Upton country park. For anyone with nippers Hamworthy park is a hidden gem.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

During the limited time i had when I was back in England last, went down this way too. Keep driving after the ferry and beach gets you to Corfe castle which is a brilliant place.