Tomb Raider Xbox exclusive

Chalkboy

Just found out today that "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is going to be Xbox exclusive which I found very surprising, the last game in this new franchise sold more on PS platforms I believe. I guess large piles of cash have been exchanged for the exclusivity.

Personally it doesn't affect me, I played the last one all the way through and it was fairly enjoyable, but for me it lacked the exploration and massive structures that the original game had way back in '97 (??) and for that reason I wasn't too bothered.

Having said that it seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth to all the Playstation owners who've supported Tomb Raider from the beginning. Do you think it's a smart move by Microsoft and Square Enix? Will it be a console seller? Do you think it will eventually get released multi plat?

I assume this will be the same type of exclusive that sees the game on the console exclusively for a year then it comes out on multi format.

It would need to be a massive sum of money to stop Square Enix from releasing it on the PS4 at some point.

It's coming out on 360 too, so not only is it losing PS4 sales it's losing PS3 too, so the sums involved would have to be huge. I thought the same as you Colinjb, it must be a timed exclusive but nowhere does it say that. I can't see it being something that will sell huge numbers of Xbox Ones IMHO.

So far, there's no indication that it's timed. It'll give prospective buyers long-term confidence. Forza Horizon 2 looks a much better exclusive; that's out this year, TR will be out next.

Christmas system sellers.