30 Years Ago Today

Gemmel

I was only 9, so not quite as scary. Still, I've got vivid memories of that period. My best mate, an avid Duran Duran fan, dropped his theory that George Michael was gay, largely wanting to spite his mum and sister.

"Don't be so ridiculous, his mum said. Look at how many girls like him!"

Lots of memories of 30 years ago but far more important to me is

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE THE POWERS THAT BE TO RECOGNISE THAT AN ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE?

Two emails sent to advise them of this and yet STILL I have to suffer the ads since I've been relegated to 'regular membership'. Do I get a discount next year since they've had free use of my money for 4 days without according me the benefits?

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE THE POWERS THAT BE TO RECOGNISE THAT AN ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE?

Two emails sent to advise them of this and yet STILL I have to suffer the ads since I've been relegated to 'regular membership'. Do I get a discount next year since they've had free use of my money for 4 days without according me the benefits?

It's discrimination, I'd go for a claim BTF. i have just gone for annual renewal, I assume i will automatically to re-newed

Had just left school & was about to start college.

Since then I've done the usual stuff, house, marriage kids etc & my eldest is a year off uni, but I still remember 30 years ago like it was yesterday. It's what I did last week I can't remember.

In a similar vein I went to the White Swan last night & one of our party pointed that I'm only 3 & a bit years of qualifying for the over 50's dining club, WTF is going on.... :shakey:

I luv 1984.

I helped my DJ mate run a disco at a local holiday camp throughout that summer; it was a great gig for picking up women. :)

Careless Whisper was one of our staple slowies, and for the livelier part of the evening we had other 1984 pop classics such as Duran Duran’s The Reflex, Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s Relax and Wham’s Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

However, even with all-time favourites such as these, sometimes my mate would struggle to get the not-so-jolly campers up onto the dance floor. One evening in particular he had to work really hard to get everyone out of their seats; he eventually managed it, only to be struck with a sudden urge for a p1ss. Off he dashed to the toilet, leaving me in charge of his turntable, with strict instructions to keep the punters dancing.

A few moments later he emerged from the toilet to the sound of Paul McCartney’s Pipes of Peace and the sight of a completely deserted dance-floor – well, it was bloody dark on that stage, I couldn’t see what I was doing, and, besides, why the hell did he have such a sh1t record in his collection ffs?

As punishment I was demoted to calling out the numbers at the early evening bingo – 8 and 8, two fat ladies, eighty-eight; 2 and 2, two little ducks, twenty-two, quack f*cking quack. Unless you were into the elderly or infirm that was a carp gig for picking up women. :(

Incidentally, a good (or bad) way for feeling your age is to look up what was number 1 the week you were born (link below), or recall the first record you ever bought.

Elvis Presley’s Jailhouse Rock and George Harrison’s My Sweet Lord, respectively, for me – both artists, sadly, long dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones

Thank you!

Thank you!