Any of you fella's had laser eye surgery for short-sightedness?

The Farmer

There are concerns so take advice from your optician who will know your eyes well. Most opticians and ophthalmologists I know personally have not had it done on them selves despite major advances in the technologies. There is still no clear indication of long term problems for obvious reasons and possible exacerbation of underlying/ unknown corneal problems.

It's still fundamentally a pretty crude operation, you cut the cornea so it bulges and forms a second lens. Best done around your 30s / 40s as that is when your eyes are most stable but obviously won't stop their general decline so you probably will need glasses at some point again.

The reason I didn't go for it is that I'm a very high myope and they could only give me a reasonable guarantee of 'driving level sight' and to be honest you would be amazed how bad that is if you are used to your optician correcting your vision to the bottom line on a snellen chart.

The best available operation at the moment is the one where they replace your natural lens with a prescription one. Essentially a cataract op when you don't need one. More expensive to have done but generally regarded as safer and more long lasting.

I know many people who are very happy with their laser surgery but after a LOT of research it wasn't for me and I'm wearing contacts until I can justify having replacement lenses done.

I'm a doc and have a lot of mates who work in eye depts