Ice bucket challenge

Asaint4ever

A two-bit challenge and a two-bit pop.

We've got our club back#

Yup great to see somebody who could played for anybody in the world but chose to stick with us. Good on you Matty you showed us what loyalty means hopefully in he light of what has happened this summer, people might appreciate him more.

""Two bits" first appeared in print in English in 1730 (and later developed the figurative sense of "something of small worth or importance"), followed in 1802 by its adjectival relative. These days, the adjective has far surpassed the noun in popularity."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/word/word.php?date=Dec-26-2009

Merriam-Webster - an American Dictionary of the English Language. Its usage refers to the value of a quarter of a dollar. AFAIK the use of the dollar in England, GB or UK was not common in 1730. Two-bit is an Americanism. If you want to find out about its usage in British English you need to refer to the Oxford Dictionary.

Edited by VectisSaint
Ironic mistype of use as usa, now fixed

I'm quite surprised anyone on here has actually heard of this.

Seeing as you need Friends to nominate you that is.

Oh and it is NOT a two bit challenge. The father of my best pal back in UK died of Motor Neuron Disease some 15 years ago. The total lack of understanding and then support, counselling and medication made the final years of his life HELL for the entire family.

This has raised over US$50million since 7th August, a figure that WILL make a difference.

With all due respect Shurlock it would be Karma if you or one of your family contracted it.

Oh and it is NOT a two bit challenge. The father of my best pal back in UK died of Motor Neuron Disease some 15 years ago. The total lack of understanding and then support, counselling and medication made the final years of his life HELL for the entire family.

This has raised over US$50million since 7th August, a figure that WILL make a difference.

With all due respect Shurlock it would be Karma if you or one of your family contracted it.

Not really sure the last paragraph was needed Phil . kind of puts you as bad as him ??

Where have I disrespected or mocked those with the condition? Far from it.

While you have the time, perhaps you can extend the same message to those who are taking the challenge since I haven't seen much in the way of education or details where one can donate. What I do see is alot of matey backslapping and celebrity lookatmeism.

Can't see why anyone would have a problem with that, Lee Tiss is clearly just having a laugh.

This. It always amazes me the sort of mongs you get on this place. He was just having a laff, and for charity.

I guess internet message boards are a magnet for socially inept weirdos.

Why do you have a problem with him using an American phrase? Plenty of our words and phrases come from other languages and cultures.

It's how it starts. Next there'll be taking away our curtains, pavements, nappies and taps. And our 'u's. Beware

Nice to see the true Dubai Phil coming through in that last line.

What an utter c u nt.

Not sure what you mean there fella.

Are you saying it's cool to trivialise this?

No, I'm simply saying that this is a topic where quotes on a forum are very easily misunderstood. I'll cite DubaiPhil's use of the word Karma here as an instance. Some people think karma is something that people wish upon another, others know that it is a philosophy without opinion. ........But people are seeing what they want to see.

More simply, this thread, due to the charity it involves, is a breeding ground for misunderstandings both accidental and deliberate.

No, I'm simply saying that this is a topic where quotes on a forum are very easily misunderstood. I'll cite DubaiPhil's use of the word Karma here as an instance. Some people think karma is something that people wish upon another, others know that it is a philosophy without opinion. ........But people are seeing what they want to see.

More simply, this thread, due to the charity it involves, is a breeding ground for misunderstandings both accidental and deliberate.

Karma. The sum of a persons actions in this or a previous existence viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

Petty clearly golfing Phil thinks that because he perceives shurlock thinking the ice bucket challenge is a load of attention seeking bo*locks, that shurlock or one of his family should get the illness it's meant to be raising awareness for, despite not a single person that I've seen so far mentioning the illness whilst doing the challenge.

Not a nice thing to say is it pal.

Karma. The sum of a persons actions in this or a previous existence viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

Petty clearly golfing Phil thinks that because he perceives shurlock thinking the ice bucket challenge is a load of attention seeking bo*locks, that shurlock or one of his family should get the illness it's meant to be raising awareness for, despite not a single person that I've seen so far mentioning the illness whilst doing the challenge.

Not a nice thing to say is it pal.

The first line of your post is correct. After that, it is supposition on your part.

Listen guys, we are splitting hairs here, so in a case like this would it be unreasonable to look at the history of the poster before declaring him Hitler? I have never seen any evidence that this is the way he thinks, including this latest 'evidence'

If you go around beheading people, and eventually are yourself beheaded, that is Karma. Anyone's opinion on whether that karma was deserved is simply an opinion, it's still karma.

Edit: Pal

Edited by Ohio Saint

Or intelligent grown men arguing like schoolchildren on a meaningless fan forum :)

Define intelligent.....And grown......And men....... ;)

We all know that it's only about some users wanting to score points against others. Yes, it's sad.

I dunno, chaps. I can see how the internecine combat between feuding posters might get wearying, but have you ever stopped to consider what'd happen if this outlet was not available. This madness could spread to the real world.

SaintsWeb exile to stranger in future pub:-

"So what you reckon of Tadic then?"

"Yeah, he looks a good buy"

"You must be fkn deluded, mate"

*thwomp*

*sirens in distance*

This thread is classic SWF. Anyway, I've been nominated to do the challenge today. The recent publicity of ALS/MND has led me to researching it further, understanding it more and donating. I'm clearly not the only one as it's raised millions in a few weeks. Therefore, it's positive.

despite not a single person that I've seen so far mentioning the illness whilst doing the challenge.

Clearly not watched many and not watch MLT in the OP.

I dunno, chaps. I can see how the internecine combat between feuding posters might get wearying, but have you ever stopped to consider what'd happen if this outlet was not available. This madness could spread to the real world.

*thwomp*

*sirens in distance*

I wonder what kind of pub your 9/11 "great resource" forum would be.

*thwomp*

*sirens in distance*

And when franks Cousin staggers in supping from a bottle of Chenin Blanc droning on that the pub needs ambition, we should not accepting that it'll never as famous as the Rovers return, everyone would roll their eyes, sigh and so something else instead.

*thwomp*

*sirens in distance*

Was this you at the weekend Mr T? ;)

Better hobbies than what?

Obsessing over an internet forum you've no interest in, going as far as to imagine what it might look like rendered as a pub, but not actually writing the fruits of those imaginative episodes down in your usual warm literary tones.

Shame, especially with JK Rowling only having a passing interest in the Potter universe these days ;) #gapinthemarket

Did you develop the idea further than your initial sentence, or did the demons start telling you to burn things again?