Good restaurants in Southampton area

supersonic

Looking for a decent restaurant in Southampton area for a meal with the wife later this evening.

At the moment we've shortlisted Buffalo Bills and Banana Wharf

Are these any good or has anyone got any other recommendations?

Would prefer to be near city centre as off to the theatre

Thanks in advance

There’s quite a good range of restaurants in Oxford Street. I had an excellent full English breakfast in the White Star one morning; I suppose they do evening meals as well. Also some chaps my brother-in-law does business with took us on a corporate day lunch to the Grand Café just off Oxford Street, where we also had a good meal before going on to St Mary’s – again, not sure if they do evening meals, I’m afraid.

Oxford Brasserie was one of my favourites on Oxford Street.... this is different from Oxfords. Only been to White Star once but it was very nice.

Mango (Thai) is in the City Centre or Portswood and is my favourite ethnic place.

Someone is probably going to recommend Turtle Bay for Carribbean food, but we prefer Coco Rio http://www.cocorio.co.uk/ ...

Probably forgotten some others, but they're the ones that spring to mind.

If you looking around Ocean Village, Chiquito’s is good if you like Mexican or a bit posher, Merchants next door, only been there once (a while back) but had a very good meal.

As said, a varied good, choice around Oxford Street and a couple of decent Italian resturaunts in the area too. Ennios opposite Town Quay is very good.

Southampton itself is still a bit sparse for food really. Simon's @ Oxfords is nice enough as is the Pig in the wall opposite the Grand Harbour.

Yes, forgot about the Pig, very good. Prefer the one in Brockenhurst, but Southampton one is still good.

Oxford Brasserie was one of my favourites on Oxford Street.... this is different from Oxfords. Only been to White Star once but it was very nice.

Mango (Thai) is in the City Centre or Portswood and is my favourite ethnic place.

Someone is probably going to recommend Turtle Bay for Carribbean food, but we prefer Coco Rio http://www.cocorio.co.uk/ ...

Probably forgotten some others, but they're the ones that spring to mind.

Hi Minty,

have you tried Baan Mai opposite Sainsburys in Portswood? Used to be called Sara's and is much more authentic Thai than Mango (which I also like).

7Bone Burger in Portswood - it's ****ing brilliant and my missus is a vegetarian and still enjoyed it...

For romantic meal Winchester is a better bet - Brasserie Blanc, Hotel du Vin, One La Place (Froggies), The Plough @ Sparsholt, The Running Horse @ Littleton, The Old Vine, Bukkake or whatever the Japanese place is called, Loch Fyne...

7Bone Burger in Portswood - it's ****ing brilliant and my missus is a vegetarian and still enjoyed it...

For romantic meal Winchester is a better bet - Brasserie Blanc, Hotel du Vin, One La Place (Froggies), The Plough @ Sparsholt, The Running Horse @ Littleton, The Old Vine, Bukkake or whatever the Japanese place is called, Loch Fyne...

Bit to liberal with the salt for my taste.

Just googled that and (going by the website), that does look good. Better than that Casa Brazil place?

Guly goes to Fogo Gaucho every time he's back in town - surely enough of a recommendation, as far as Brazilian restaurants go!

It does look decent. Out of interest, does Guly still have a place in town/head back much?

No, they gave up the penthouse apartment that they had. He's been back a fair few times though; both to London and Southampton, to Staplewood and out with the players he was good mates with. Everybody loves Guly - you'd struggle to find anyone at the club who has a bad word to say about him. Top bloke.

Guly goes to Fogo Gaucho every time he's back in town - surely enough of a recommendation, as far as Brazilian restaurants go!

It has to be better than Casa Brasil. Meat too well done for me in there though Jose and Gaston seemed to enjoy it last time I was there.

I have been spoilt by Bem Boms on the Algarve. Nothing similar has measured up so far.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g580249-d739859-Reviews-Bem_Bom-Quarteira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

Kraken's top 5 eateries in the local Southampton area:

1) Kohinoor, Portswood (Indian).

2) Zen, Below Bar (Japanese).

3) The Rockstone, Beavois Valley (pub grub).

4) Coriander Lounge, Below Bar (Indian).

5) Mexigo, London Road (fast Mexican nosh).

Granted, you'll find better fine dining in some other places. Fogo Gaucho is also good as previous reviews say.