Jack the Ripper Unmasked??

miserableoldgit

Interesting - If I recall correctly Kosminski was one of the original Ripper suspects mentioned in the McNaughton memorandum. DNA evidence needs to be preserved in sterile conditions in order to maintain its evidential integrity of course, so I'd want to see more evidence re the history of this garment and how it has been stored before going so far as to claim the case has been closed. In truth it will almost certainly never be solved - and that is the key to its interest of course.

There'll be yet another book in this for somebody, but I remember just how exciting James Maybrick and the so called Ripper 'diary' was, so caution is the order of the day here.

I have recently visited the 'Ripper' sites in the east end. (the area is a shyte hole)

so many of the buildings and their features are still there

visited the Ten Bells pub, which is quite famous

This fella was one of the people the guides mentioned as a real suspect.

quite odd standing in the very spot you see in some of the pictures where someone was mutilated by one of the most famous serial killers ever

I have recently visited the 'Ripper' sites in the east end. (the area is a shyte hole)

so many of the buildings and their features are still there

visited the Ten Bells pub, which is quite famous

This fella was one of the people the guides mentioned as a real suspect.

quite odd standing in the very spot you see in some of the pictures where someone was mutilated by one of the most famous serial killers ever

My nan was 3 years old and living in Whitechapel at the time. She never said anything about it :rolleyes:

It must have been hell living there. It looks like it now despite the best efforts to tart the place up and make Brick Lane fashionable

Yeah, but they knew nothing else. They all lived in one room. According to family legend her dad, my great-grandad, jumped in the canal to save somebody and caught pneumonia and died but when I dug out the records he had liver cancer anyway at the age if 35. Her mum couldn't cope and she and her little brother ended up in a Barnados home and eventually she was brought up by travelling relatives. The east end of London was not a nice place at the time but she described to me working around the open countryside in Hackney and such places. She paid a shilling a week to learn how to read and write.

All the newspaper articles are plugging a book written by the bloke who bought the shawl; Naming Jack The Ripper, by Russell Edwards, will be published by Sidgwick & Jackson on September 9, priced £16.99.

It's a bit disingenuous of the Daily Mail to claim a major role in the supposed unearthing.

This might well be the unearthing of killer's identity, but it should also be viewed in the light of the fact that the guy who bought the shawl will be looking to get some of his money back through his book sales.

Yeah, but they knew nothing else. They all lived in one room. According to family legend her dad, my great-grandad, jumped in the canal to save somebody and caught pneumonia and died but when I dug out the records he had liver cancer anyway at the age if 35. Her mum couldn't cope and she and her little brother ended up in a Barnados home and eventually she was brought up by travelling relatives. The east end of London was not a nice place at the time but she described to me working around the open countryside in Hackney and such places. She paid a shilling a week to learn how to read and write.

The guided tour we did was excellent. As said, standing on the spot that the ripper took a victim that hadn't changed much at all from the pics was kind of odd. Even the underground station at aldgate East would have been used by the ripper (probably)

The church around there where "itchy park" is hasn't changed one bit and some of the trees in the pics are still there

• 2 months later...

A programe exposing the latest in what is now a very long line of 'Jack the Ripper' suspects was aired on Channel Five this week, and what a fascinating watch it proved to be:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/conspiracy-the-missing-evidence/episodes/episode-3-616

Put briefly the case presented here is that a man found standing over the body of Polly Anne Nichols in Buck's Row, Whitechapel very early on the morning of 31st August 1888 was not the first witness to stumble across the corpse of this unfortunate women but actually her killer. The programe goes on to claim that this man, one Charles Allen Lechmere (aka Charles Cross) must have arrived at the scene rather earlier than he claimed he did and he would thus have had ample time to inflict the various injuries found on the body. When Lechmere was found standing over Nichols she must have been very recently murdered because, despite a horrific neck wound, no blood was observed to have pooled under her body. Lechmere's subsequent behaviour also seems highly suspicious.

Furthermore an analysis of the Ripper murder scenes show that all they either lay either suspiciously close to Lechmere's shortest walking routes to work (at the Pickfords Yard near Broad St Station) or were otherwise in a area he knew well. Lechmere worked as a 'carman' (cart driver) delivering butchered meat around the area - hence any blood evident on his work cloths would have aroused no suspicion. I should add here that although the programme makes no play of it, a familiarity with the butchery trade does seem suggestive given the grisly nature of the Ripper's crimes.

I do have a few problems with this programme, for instance it is debatable whether Martha Tabram was really a Ripper victim and establishing the exact time of death for each murder is problematic given contradictory eye witness evidence and the state of forensic science pertaining at the time. Perhaps no blood was seen under Nichols because it was dark and only the Police would have carried a lantern? For that matter why didn't Lechmere simply run away? Nevertheless I think this programe does put forward a circumstantial case that is much stronger than some others I've seen promoted recently.

However, no one can be considered a satisfactory Ripper suspect without some plausible explanation being offered as to why the killer apparently stopped killing after the unhinged brutality of the Mary Kelly murder. We are promised a forthcoming book that deals with that key question - and a hint that Kelly may not have been the last Ripper victim after all ...