Shipping container "pop up shops"

SO16_Saint

Its a great idea - I have read stories where they have been made into hotels .... was going to in China - but it's London

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hotel+made+of+shipping+containers+in+london&biw=1366&bih=622&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xNkOVLcOh6_sBuPDgLgB&ved=0CD0QsAQ

Yeah, some of the houses look great and an excellent way to recycle.

I liked the sound of the shopping mall idea, about time Southampton had some 'different' shops rather than the usual highstreet ones... shame it appears not to have taken off

If they do it as well as Box Park (@ Shoreditch High Street station), then it's a brilliant idea to get new, interesting shops started. No different to a fixed 'market' I guess in reality, but just looks better and no packing stuff away every night ;)

If they do it as well as Box Park (@ Shoreditch High Street station), then it's a brilliant idea to get new, interesting shops started. No different to a fixed 'market' I guess in reality, but just looks better and no packing stuff away every night ;)

The one in Shoreditch isn't really new or different shops when I went there, just established brands using it as something different. Was still good though.

The one in Shoreditch isn't really new or different shops when I went there, just established brands using it as something different. Was still good though.

Yeah it's a weird mixture - one of my offices is at Shoreditch almost opposite Box Park so I get to have a nose around every so often - but you're right, generally it's some bigger brands trying to be funky in getting one of those units, but there are some new little names popping up. The doughnut place is really nice ;) There is a guy who sells printed t-shirts and I think an accessories unit that aren't established.

If you look at "The Commitments" from about 1988 you'll see a container being used as a shop on a downtrodden Dublin Estate, certainly nothing new per se, perhaps a whole

shopping mall made up from containers is though.

Should put the containers back on a ship with all that sort boxed up in and let the ship sail to somewhere. An island would be good. How about a large island in the southern hemisphere? ;)