Hillsborough and safe-standing

Crab Lungs

Controversial topic, but...

... what's everyone's opinions on this? This topic cropped up at work again today and a lot of people (however well or ill-informed they are, I don't know) seem to think Liverpool fans are also partly to blame for what happened. Additionally, a lot of people seem to say that Heysel is conveniently forgotten. The debate developed and, some of the group even said that because of the continued opposition of the Liverpool fans (Justice for the 96 etc) against safe-standing that it'll not likely happen any time soon - and, most were pretty miffed about it.

Without wanting to get into a too sensitive subject, do you think that is plausible that it'll be shelved because of the JFT96 etc won't want it? Surely, they could see "safe-standing" is absolutely nothing like the terracing beforehand and it'll be properly policed/allocated etc to avoid anything like that happening again? I bloody hope we can have some standing areas at grounds again...

Wasn't it more the large fences/caging to stop supporters getting on the pitch etc to blame rather than the actual terracing causing the deaths?

Ive just watched the Bradford fire disaster video again. Both of those were caused by people being trapped behind fences, walls and gates. Seats exacerbated the problem at Bradford and arguably would have done at Hillsborough

Standing is way down the list of the reasons why 96 people died at Hillsborough. Even so, it played a part. However, the new safe-standing is just that - safe.

Liverpool fans will be too stubborn to ever accept it. And the rest of the decision makers in football will be too afraid to implement it as they know they'll face a backlash from them.

You wont get a crush as long as there are metal barrages along every three or four rows and you don't have fences. Fences were the problem at Hillsborough, without them that day would have just been a few hundred Scousers wandering around on the pitch.

I've seen the footage of the Valley Parade fire and it sends a shiver down my spine when I think what could have happened if that stand had been fenced in. We would be looking at a death toll which would have dwarfed 9/11.

It's easy to just say the Scousers will never allow safe standing but has anyone actually asked them. I would be interested to see a poll on a LFC forum. Obviously there will be a few people so blinded by grief that just refuse to hear any kind of discussion on the subject but perhaps the rest will be a bit more open to the idea.