Suit

SuperMikey

I'm looking to get a decent suit and wondered where you lot get yours from. Don't think I can stretch to getting something tailored but don't want something that looks cheap. M&S do some decent stuff but I generally have a bit of a tough time buying shirts and jackets being quite a tall gentleman with broad shoulders so most stuff either hangs off me or fits like a scuba suit.

Any suggestions?

If I were you and getting something on a high street budget I'd buy something from M&s in a standard colour, dark grey or navy will go with anything, then find a decent tailor or alterations company and get them to tailor it to suit your frame. It'll cost you about £40-£50 but will look so much better, you see so many people wearing suits that they've bought off the peg and don't fit them properly. Trousers and sleeves too long, baggy or too tight round the stomach and shoulders too big, it looks horrendous.

I haven't bought a suit for years. The last one was for my daughter's wedding. She never wore it, went for some white dress instead. (Boom boom) Back in the 60s and 70s everybody wore suits everywhere and the were all made to measure at places like Burtons or John Collier for £12 to £14. Based on that the off the peg prices today are very reasonable and getting them professionally altered seems a good idea.

I haven't bought a suit for years. The last one was for my daughter's wedding. She never wore it, went for some white dress instead. (Boom boom) Back in the 60s and 70s everybody wore suits everywhere and the were all made to measure at places like Burtons or John Collier for £12 to £14. Based on that the off the peg prices today are very reasonable and getting them professionally altered seems a good idea.

I think I went to that wedding. I got hammered and made the sex with the bride's father. He was totally up for it!

House of Fraser normally do a good range of suits that are more "upper end" of the off the shelf range. Most House of Frasers have access to a tailor who can make alterations for very little too. Last one I bought wasn't expensive, about £3-400, but after £20 of alterations to make it fit even better, it looks much more tailored.

I did, many years ago, probably in 1999, buy a machine washable suit from Tesco for £30. Jesus christ, that was bloody horrendous.

Thanks for the advice guys - reckon I will stick with Turkish the resident SaintsWeb fashionista's advice and get some alterations made to something from the high street.

Also Gemmel I usually buy my clothes from there, 99% of it is total sh!te but you can pick up some decent gear for a good price.

The secret to buying a good suit is the cloth.

Wool or wool/silk mix is the best and if the fabric is good that's half the battle.

A good quality wool cloth will have a nice drape, in other words, the suit will hang well on you, even if it is off the peg,

Check out the trousers first to see how they sit on your waist, and how they hang to the floor. You'll get what I mean when you try on a pair of trousers from a good quality wool cloth compared to a pair made from a man-made fibre. A good quality wool cloth can still be light, but should feel 'weight' as it hangs to the floor in the trousers.

Man-made fibres also tend to go stiff and shiny after a few wears, especially in the areas which are going to experience friction, for example, the seat of the trousers and the knees.

Wool fabric will cost you a little more, but it's worth it, and your suit will hold its shape together for much longer.

M&S do a decent range of wool suits for everyday business wear, and they will serve you well.

I like suits and being a bit of a tart, I like a designer suit and number Paul Smith, Armani, Nino Cerruti, Balmain and Commes des Garcons in my wardrobe.

They cost a bit more but they are better made and have lasted longer, so they prove to be good value for money in the long term if you are a regular suit wearer

I had always fought shy of buying suits online but this company are really good; http://www.julesb.co.uk/menswear-c1/mens-suits-c92

They do a next-day delivery and have a simple returns policy (if it doesn't fit and you have to send it back). Their prices are also reasonable.

You can't beat a made-to-measure suit, of course, but for a bespoke suit in a decent cloth you are probably talking four figures in this country, and even I would baulk at that.

Went to Penang (Malaysia) this year and got a made-to-measure suit in a wool-silk cloth for £89.

It really is the best suit I have and for fit and drape knocks all the others I have into a cocked hat because it is individually tailored to fit me, and really makes you wonder how they do it for that price.

I don't doubt it's made by kids in a sweat shop for fourpence a week, but even M&S have been found out using these so you have to decide how ethical you want to be about where you have your clothes made.

In any event, when buying your suit, check the label to see where it is made. Even designer suits aren't made in Italy these days but Hungarian factories turn out some really good quality suits, as do Portugal.

All big stores (like M&S) have quality control but suits labelled made in China can vary in quality of stitching from very good to awful, so when buying your suit check how the sleeves are attached at the shoulders. Give it a tug to see how close the stitches are and check things like buttons to see how well they are sewn on, especially those on the sleeve.

Sorry to waffle on, but I do have rellies in the schmutter business.

Despite me working there I'm unbiased I swear - but Next is a decent place for suits - 3 levels of price the cheapest being 65£ and the most expensive nearing 200£. Good quality and can mix and match trouser and jacket sizes.

They have a long and tall range in both jackets and trousers, and are able to tailor or change them at request. Can order them in as well... Good quality as well.

If I were you and getting something on a high street budget I'd buy something from M&s in a standard colour, dark grey or navy will go with anything, then find a decent tailor or alterations company and get them to tailor it to suit your frame. It'll cost you about £40-£50 but will look so much better, you see so many people wearing suits that they've bought off the peg and don't fit them properly. Trousers and sleeves too long, baggy or too tight round the stomach and shoulders too big, it looks horrendous.

This is the answer in one. Get some nice old lady in one of those non descript shops with a sawing machine to get your baggy suit looking tailored.