Sea City museum

Halo Stickman

Stayed in Southampton after Saturday’s match and took the opportunity to visit the Sea City museum yesterday. I spent a good couple of hours in there and felt it was good value for the £8.50 entry fee; however, with many museums being free / donations only these days, I’m interested what other posters think.

Apologies if this has been discussed previously; I searched for a link but couldn’t find one.

What was in there exhibit and topic-wise Halo? Guessing there was content around the Titanic?

Might pay it a visit when I'm up for the Sunderland game and my birthday.

Half of it is devoted to the Titanic and half to Southampton Gateway to the World.

I know the Titanic has been very well covered over the years, but I found the links of the crew to the city to be very well displayed in this museum – very interesting maps of the city showing how many of the crew came from the Northam and Chapel areas etc.

There were also interesting displays, maps etc of how the city developed over the centuries and the different nationalities that passed through or made their home there.

I shall probably visit again when the temporary exhibit features WWI (from Oct 11)

http://www.seacitymuseum.co.uk/?page_id=221

Belfast museum is better, thought the southampton one was ok. Like you say the way it links to the crew is haunting. But I personally thought it was overpriced for what it was. Its a prime oppurtunity to get tourists into southampton and for me it felt rushed.

But again, I think Im spoiled as I saw the Belfast one first which I found to be excellent

Half of it is devoted to the Titanic and half to Southampton Gateway to the World.

I know the Titanic has been very well covered over the years, but I found the links of the crew to the city to be very well displayed in this museum – very interesting maps of the city showing how many of the crew came from the Northam and Chapel areas etc.

There were also interesting displays, maps etc of how the city developed over the centuries and the different nationalities that passed through or made their home there.

I shall probably visit again when the temporary exhibit features WWI (from Oct 11)

http://www.seacitymuseum.co.uk/?page_id=221

Many thanks Halo, we'll give it a try before the Sunderland game. Belfast one sounds great from Smirking Saint's feedback and will definately visit that if the opportunity arises. The other museum on a related theme I've always fancied going to is the North Sea oil museum in Aberdeen.