Pop hits you remember for a vivid reason

TopGun

Sorry to hear that Lynsey de Paul died today. I was never a massive fan but I do recall her for one reason especially.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29457228

Rock Bottom was #1 in 1977 when I was on cub camp at Brownsea Island and it played out of every little tinny transistor radio we had at the time.

What other songs do posters recall for a personal moment in time?

Bros - When will I be famous.

I was walking with my big sister's friend who I had a crush on (I was about 7 and she was about 13, I obviously preferred the more mature lady). I sang it to show how cool I was, but didn't know the lyrics...I ran away after embarrassing myself.

The Carnival is Over - The Seekers

There are so many from the mid sixties but this one was always played at the dance place (they didn't call them discos then) where I met my missus in February 1966. This was always the last record of the evening before the lights came up and it was you last chance to have a close shuffle round the floor and find out whether you were in luck. We were both sixteen at the time bu this takes us right back. There are so many others I could have chosen from then.

Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

Christmas 1967. Between leaving sixth form and going to university, loads of parties before all going our separate ways, rolling in the snow outside, I can't hear that song without the memories flooding back.

Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell

My first term at university, September 1968. It was on the radio all the time.

Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder

This came out when our daughter was born and summed everthing up perfectly.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

I lost my brother to lung cancer last year. When we were discussing funeral music, I thought about the old Holllies hit "He Ain't Heavy (He's My Brother)" but we got distracted on something else so I never suggested it.

I was annoyed with myself later but, by then it was too late.

A week or 2 later I was helping sort through his things and when we'd finished, I got into the car to go home, switched on the radio and this song started. It wasn't half way through or anything, it was as though they were waiting for me to turn the radio on.

Obviously a coincidence, or was it?

I was in fifth form at St. Mary's College in Bitterne back in 1969. The Beatles single "The Ballad of John and Yoko" was released at the end on May. The opening line of the song: "Standing in the dock at Southampton; Trying to get to Holland or France ...". Twice every day - to and from school - on the Hythe Ferry, I passed the main Southampton docks servicing the passenger liners.

Every time I hear that song, I think of those wonderful ferry rides across Southampton Water.

Je T'aime. It was played repeatedly at a party I was at and I was having a fumble with a very fit lady for a while. Happy days!

I particularly remember songs from the Soft Cell album Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret. I lost my cherry to "Bedsitter" to a lovely bird, a bit older than me, which helped as I was as green as grass. Unfortunately I didn't last to the end of the song, but was up for seconds by the time "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" came on. ;)

Couldn't recover that quickly now though. :(