Overtime should count for holiday

Viking Warrior

Okay following this initial judgemet from the Employment Appeal Tribunal. both sides have leave to Appeal to the Court Of Appeal

This ruling is likely to cost frims public and private sector millions of pounds given that ruling that non guaranteed overtime and shift alowances etc should now be included in the calculation of pay.

I have the 48 page EAT to read this evening with a glass or two of wine.

the impact of this ruling will be costly to the public sector as claims may go back a minimum of 5 years, Its not so much the those who are full time but it will benefit all those part time staff who do etc hours at plain time.

I don't think the EAT really understand what they have done... voluntary overtime is exactly that, and is paid at a premium rate,

The impact is that Employers may now stop overtime, meaning a lot of people will lose a significant proportion of their pay packet.

Overtime has always been an voluntary option, not a right. Unless it was contractual then I can see this initial ruling causimg all sorts of problems . ultimately the poor employee will suffer as jobs or cut or overtime is drastically reduced. Those that will really benefit from this ruling will be the lawyers

What are your thoughts on this .

In this time of austerity this ruling is likely to lead to more job losses in the public sector alone