... and we shall remember them.

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I shall remember today a distant relative of mine of whom I know next to nothing about, Lance Sergeant 29555 Herbert Thomas Parker, a Dorset lad serving in the 2nd Battalion the Hampshire Regiment. Killed in action near the French town of Arras on Monday 23rd April 1917.

Like so many others where his body rests is known only unto God. His name however is commemorated on both the Arras Memorial and in the little parish church at Corfe Castle in Dorset where he enlisted.

Please feel free to add any tribute you care to make to your own fallen family members here.

I don't know much but my grandfathers (RIP) both fought in WW2. My maternal grandfather was a something to do with artillery, and had CSR and was virtually deaf for the rest of his life. My paternal grandfather was captured but escaped in an ambulance. That's really the extent of what I know.

Still, naturally, or I wouldn't be here, I was lucky both came out the war in one piece.

My Nan's brother was a Lancaster Bomber pilot and died after being shot down over Germany in WW2. My Nan passed away only a few weeks ago aged 96. When you think of the life she had, all the experiences and the people around today because of her, it makes you think of how much is lost through war.

I have read a little bit about WW1 and what those guys went through was unimaginable. I find it even sadder now that all the people who were involved are now gone, it's like it's vanished forever as a real memory and is now a distant chapter in history. That's why we should never forget.

A Private

This ploughman dead in battle slept out of doors

Many a frosty night, and merrily

Answered staid drinkers, good bedmen, and all bores:

'At Mrs Greenland's Hawthorn Bush,' said he,

'I slept.' None knew which bush. Above the town,

Beyond 'The Drover', a hundred spot the down

In Wiltshire. And where now at last he sleeps

More sound in France—that, too, he secret keeps.

by Edward Thomas (1878 – 1917, killed at the Battle of Arras)

My Grandparents were lucky enough not to be involved in much combat during the war. My Dad's father (RIP) was a driver and chef, while my Mum's father spent a lot of time in Europe (mainly Greece) training foreign troops. Plenty of their friends and relatives were not so fortunate.

We had a very poingnant tribute today at the Police HQ in Netley with hundreds of people there.

I did the WW1 battlefields tour recently, 12 hour trip taking in cemeteries, trenches. memorials and museums...I have no direct connection through family (that I know of) with the Great War but it was humbling and horrifying. As the day went on the conversations grew more muted as the scale of lives lost became more apparent. The final part was the Menin Gate 'Last Post' ceremony that has happened every night at 8pm since 1928 in remembrance - performed by local police and fire service and treated with huge respect by all there.

It's a strange thing to recommend but for me it gave me a far greater perspective if not understanding but do it if you get the opportunity.